Stanford sticker vs. UTexas full-ride w/ two days to decide

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
juliachild-ish

Stanford sticker vs. UTexas full-ride w/ two days to decide

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:36 pm

So I just got in at Stanford off the waitlist--had been planning to attend Texas on a full-ride. Stanford didn't offer me any money, and the COL in Palo Alto is ridiculous compared to Austin (I have a dog, so I can't live on campus). I'm looking at about $35k in debt from Texas and about $150k in debt from Stanford (my dad will be helping me some).

I was really psyched about living in Austin, but a few months ago I really wanted to get into Stanford. Now I'm not sure, and am balking at the cost and not getting to live in Austin. I want to go back to AZ (homestate) or somewhere else in the southwest and preferably work in local government or possibly a NGO--I would be okay with a smaller firm, but absolutely do not want BigLaw.

It's very hard to justify turning down Stanford. I turned down Harvard for UT earlier in the cycle, but that mostly had to do with quality of life issues at Harvard, and it seems like the students at Stanford are much more friendly and happy than students at Harvard, so I'm not sure that argument still stands. But I'm worried that I may just end up in the same job from either school, only with a lot more debt coming out of Stanford. And to be honest, I'm kind of intimidated by my potential future classmates at Stanford.

Thoughts?

Sauer Grapes

Re: Stanford sticker vs. UTexas full-ride w/ two days to decide

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:41 pm

If you don't want big law, then UT hands down. However, why the heck didn't you take the money at Northwestern?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Stanford. LRAP.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:If you don't want big law, then UT hands down. However, why the heck didn't you take the money at Northwestern?

Because after a year of living in Chicago, I've decided that I really dislike it and cannot wait to get out (and I love love love Austin). Also I talked to a few firm recruiters in AZ and they didn't seem to see a prestige difference between UT and NU, so why not pick the place where I actually want to live?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:43 pm

bk1 wrote:Stanford. LRAP.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:10 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
bk1 wrote:Stanford. LRAP.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Okay, so what happens if I can't get a job that qualifies for LRAP? (I am, after all, only looking in a very limited market, and everyone assures me that public interest jobs are extremely competitive and hard to get.) Then, since I don't want big law, I will have to take a small/mid-size firm job which, especially in Phoenix/SW, won't pay very well. So then I won't qualify for Stanford's LRAP and won't make enough to pay off the loans without being really poor. I guess that's my big fear--counting on Stanford's LRAP and then not being able to get a job that qualifies for it. Above all, I do not want to be forced into big law because of debt.

derekc4

Postby derekc4 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm

This is a win-win. It seems like you prefer Texas. If anyone says that Stanford is the only choice isn't thinking this through. One hundred and fifteen thousand dollars with no interest in big law seals the deal. Do what feels right. I'm not in law school.
By the way, congratulations on your awesome cycle!
Last edited by derekc4 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Final advice: OP you seem irrational and temperamental as fuck. You should go wherever you want to considering you seem like the kind of person who would do significantly worse at a place you prefer less.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:59 pm

texas

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:00 pm

ITT the myth of Stanford having superior student dies.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Why don't you ask if Stanford can throw you $10-15K a year. That would be better than nothing and would justify choosing Stanford. I'm not so sure you aren't justified anyways, even in this economy and with UT's scholarship offer. HYS provide too many opportunities for their graduates.

Let's talk about this other issue. You picked UT over Harvard because of "quality of life issues"? Lesson: when you're waitlisted at Harvard, pay the seat deposit. If you get off the WL at YS, CCN, or any other school, you can play Harvard against them for money. You should have held onto your Harvard seat and waited for a decision at Stanford.

I don't think that was such a wise choice. It's only three years. UT would have had to offer me more than a full scholly to pull me away from Harvard, and I KNOW I would never want to live in Boston. Bottom students at Harvard can get PI jobs in TX or AZ, so your decision doesn't really make sense, especially given that law school is only three years out of your life.

Regional preference doesn't matter at Harvard, and the flexibility and networks offered by a Harvard Law diploma would have outweighed anything offered by UT, even if TX or AZ was the first choice market. There's nothing like the power of a Harvard Law degree, even in TX or AZ.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 pm

^How the hell does any of that drivel help?

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm not saying this is the only thing you should consider or that this is even an important factor, but many ppl turn down full @ ccn for hys. The selection of opportunities available to hys grads>> lower t14. I'd vote for s.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 pm

glewz wrote:I'm not saying this is the only thing you should consider or that this is even an important factor, but many ppl turn down full @ ccn for hys. The selection of opportunities available to hys grads>> lower t14. I'd vote for s.

Yea but those people are retarded. I wouldn't go by what a bunch of stupid 0Ls do.

Though 150K leaving stanford vs 35 leaving UT, Stanford wins.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:48 pm

I vote Stanford. Why not do a poll OP?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I vote Stanford. Why not do a poll OP?

Because she's going to do what she wants to anyway.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Final advice: OP you seem irrational and temperamental as fuck. You should go wherever you want to considering you seem like the kind of person who would do significantly worse at a place you prefer less.

Best advice.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:10 am

Desert Fox wrote:150K leaving stanford vs 35 leaving UT, Stanford wins.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:13 am

rad law wrote:
bk1 wrote:Final advice: OP you seem irrational and temperamental as fuck. You should go wherever you want to considering you seem like the kind of person who would do significantly worse at a place you prefer less.

Best advice.

Yup.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 am

OP, I had a very similar choice re: ugrad schools and chose the UT option. I have regretted it ever since; I had your same mentality going in.

Do what you like but Columbia w/ Hamilton beats HLS; UT is not Columbia. You're in at S, which will place MUCH better in AZ than UT

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:
glewz wrote:I'm not saying this is the only thing you should consider or that this is even an important factor, but many ppl turn down full @ ccn for hys. The selection of opportunities available to hys grads>> lower t14. I'd vote for s.

Yea but those people are retarded. I wouldn't go by what a bunch of stupid 0Ls do.

Though 150K leaving stanford vs 35 leaving UT, Stanford wins.

Yeah you're probably right. Doesn't make much sense (prestige/prospects-wise) to turn down full @ CCN.

evilsushi1

Postby evilsushi1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:20 am

I get the feeling that a lot of posters in this thread stopped reading after $35k in debt from Texas and $150k in debt from Stanford...

The OP mentioned a preference for living in Austin which hasn't been addressed much. Even though the OP states he/she won't be living on campus I'm going to assume for the purposes of this post that he/she lives near campus. Stanford is a very insulated school; while it is well-maintained, beautiful, and clean (some might say sterile), it is also pretty quiet at night. Going out at night to grab dinner requires having to exit Stanford's huge campus probably by car to Palo Alto, which is very nice but also not the most exciting or affordable city. I think it's pretty safe to say Palo Alto is no Austin. Palo Alto would never embrace a "Keep Palo Alto Weird" slogan. A south bay real estate agent once told me some very interesting stories about how Palo Alto has tried various tactics to shield itself from the adjacent city East Palo Alto, which is, to put it lightly, less socioeconomically fortunate.

Also, I don't think the "Stanford is near SF" claim holds water. Stanford is also still a considerable distance from San Francisco, though my perspective may be slanted from living in Berkeley and how much more convenient it is to reach SF from Berkeley. The CalTrain station is a bit of a distance from the Stanford campus and during some parts of the day, there is only one train per hour. The CalTrain is also pretty slow, though to be fair, the BART and AC Transit aren't very fast either. But Berkeley is substantially closer to Berkeley and from UC Berkeley, there are a multitude of ways to get into the city, like from the Downtown Berkeley BART station, the Rockridge BART station, and the F or FS line bus. Also, parking in the city is not fun.

YourCaptain wrote:
You're in at S, which will place MUCH better in AZ than UT

Do you have any numbers or evidence supporting that assertion? It seems like a rather broad claim.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 am

evilsushi1 wrote:I get the feeling that a lot of posters in this thread stopped reading after $35k in debt from Texas and $150k in debt from Stanford...

The OP mentioned a preference for living in Austin which hasn't been addressed much. Even though the OP states he/she won't be living on campus I'm going to assume for the purposes of this post that he/she lives near campus. Stanford is a very insulated school; while it is well-maintained, beautiful, and clean (some might say sterile), it is also pretty quiet at night. Going out at night to grab dinner requires having to exit Stanford's huge campus probably by car to Palo Alto, which is very nice but also not the most exciting or affordable city. I think it's pretty safe to say Palo Alto is no Austin. Palo Alto would never embrace a "Keep Palo Alto Weird" slogan. A south bay real estate agent once told me some very interesting stories about how Palo Alto has tried various tactics to shield itself from the adjacent city East Palo Alto, which is, to put it lightly, less socioeconomically fortunate.

Also, I don't think the "Stanford is near SF" claim holds water. Stanford is also still a considerable distance from San Francisco, though my perspective may be slanted from living in Berkeley and how much more convenient it is to reach SF from Berkeley. The CalTrain station is a bit of a distance from the Stanford campus and during some parts of the day, there is only one train per hour. The CalTrain is also pretty slow, though to be fair, the BART and AC Transit aren't very fast either. But Berkeley is substantially closer to Berkeley and from UC Berkeley, there are a multitude of ways to get into the city, like from the Downtown Berkeley BART station, the Rockridge BART station, and the F or FS line bus. Also, parking in the city is not fun.

If you can't put up with a less engaging nightlife for 3 years then you're retarded.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:04 am

i am going to go with the minority here and go with UT for full ride. $150+ debt vs minimal debt. unless you are really set on SCOTUS clerkship or a prestigious PI job, i don't see anything worth that amount of cash.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”