Why does Tulane LS Transparency look so good?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
monarchylover

Why does Tulane LS Transparency look so good?

Postby monarchylover » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 am

Why does Tulane Law School Transparency looks so good compared to UF FSU UNC George Mason UGA Georgia State? I looked at Martindale and New Orleans has like half 100+ firms other southern big cities have? Am I missing something?

Aberzombie1892

Re: Why does Tulane LS Transparency look so good?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:26 am

1) Legal employers seem to generally prefer private law school graduates over pulblic ones

2) The majority of Tulane's graduates usually have at least acceptable job options out of state, thus cutting down on competition or jobs.

3) There are some employers that OCI or are interested in Tulane grads that aren't as interested in similarly ranked schools (law firms and other employers).

Let me know if you have any questions in a PM.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:40 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:1) Legal employers seem to generally prefer private law school graduates over pulblic ones

LOLLL WHAT?

Sounds like you are bringing up one of your own faulty rationalizations for choosing your law school and sharing it with OP. Tulane is a terrific school, but there is absolutely no public/private dichotomy. Even if there appeared to be one at a couple comparable schools, it would likely be attributed to the desires of the students at the two schools which might even be different in some cases because most private schools leave grads in more debt than a similarly ranked public would. Tulane is a great school, leave it there.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:1) Legal employers seem to generally prefer private law school graduates over pulblic ones

LOLLL WHAT?

Sounds like you are bringing up one of your own faulty rationalizations for choosing your law school and sharing it with OP. Tulane is a terrific school, but there is absolutely no public/private dichotomy. Even if there appeared to be one at a couple comparable schools, it would likely be attributed to the desires of the students at the two schools which might even be different in some cases because most private schools leave grads in more debt than a similarly ranked public would. Tulane is a great school, leave it there.

+1. That was one of the dumbest comments that I've ever seen on TLS.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:07 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

LOLLL WHAT?

+1. That was one of the dumbest comments that I've ever seen on TLS.

Eh, def. not the dumbest. I actually could see smaller firms (that have mostly lay person clients rather then corporate clients) favoring private schools which have more lay prestige, such as tulane, because they can flaunt their attorney's credentials to attract clients. If I were looking for a plaintiff attorney, prior to applying to law school, I would definitely be more impressed by tulane then umich. Not saying it is a great point in general, but I could see situations where it might happen.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 am

That is a pretty ridiculous scenario you laid out. While I'm sure it is true in cases, it probably doesn't occur any more frequently than the reverse IE some irrational small firm in an area where lay people distrust private school/ corporate types. Ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than your example.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:42 am

I don't think it is as ridiculous as some of you think. If you haven't been through OCI and/or don't know 2L's/3L's at schools from both types within the same ranking segment, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not saying that there is a seismic difference, but there is a noticeable difference.

tuckerp

Postby tuckerp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Because kids who go to Tulane (instead of UF FSU UNC George Mason UGA Georgia State) have, in general terms, more wealth influence and family connections coming in when compared to the kids that go to the other schools mentioned. The top 25% at any of the schools mentioned (Tulane included) will be employed soon after graduation but the bottom 75% rely quite a bit on having an uncle who can make a phone call, or a cousin who can put in a good word, etc...

All of the schools mentioned have similar students (roughly 3.6/162) but I would argue that if a numerical value could be given to the "legal connections" and "family influence" of an incoming student it would look something like 1. Tulane, 2. G. Mason, 3. UNC, UF, UGA, 4. FSU, GA State... that ranking, I believe, is what accounts for Tulane's employment numbers.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:32 pm

tuckerp wrote:Because kids who go to Tulane (instead of UF FSU UNC George Mason UGA Georgia State) have, in general terms, more wealth influence and family connections coming in when compared to the kids that go to the other schools mentioned.

Would be very interested to see the data that supports this.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:18 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I don't think it is as ridiculous as some of you think. If you haven't been through OCI and/or don't know 2L's/3L's at schools from both types within the same ranking segment, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not saying that there is a seismic difference, but there is a noticeable difference.

They call them privaTTTe schools for a reason.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I don't think it is as ridiculous as some of you think. If you haven't been through OCI and/or don't know 2L's/3L's at schools from both types within the same ranking segment, you have no idea what you are talking about.

like privaTTTe HYS Columbia Cornell Duke Gtown and Vandy?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 am

monarchylover wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Whoosh?

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:35 am

HeavenWood wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Whoosh?

Don't just stare at it, eat it

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:56 am

monarchylover wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:I'm not saying that there is a seismic difference, but there is a noticeable difference.

Whoosh?

Don't just stare at it, eat it[/quote]

Definitely whoosh.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 am

HeavenWood wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
monarchylover wrote:

Whoosh?

Don't just stare at it, eat it

Definitely whoosh.[/quote]

Whoosh as in you're like silently passing gas? Whoosh Whoosh

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 am

So you're suggesting that Tulane students have an advantage over Michigan students at OCI because Tulane is a private school?

I'm not suggesting that Tulane is a bad school; but I am suggesting that you have a full-out hard-on for Tulane when attending Tulane warrants a chub at best.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 am

mike, I think he is talking about simarly ranked schools. Well that is what I was asking about anyways. I certainly don't think Tulane is anywhere near Michigan.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:03 am

monarchylover wrote:mike, I think he is talking about simarly ranked schools. Well that is what I was asking about anyways. I certainly don't think Tulane is anywhere near Michigan.

Yeah, I went back through and read and realized he wasn't comparing Michigan with Tulane; rather he was comparing simliarly ranked schools. Nevertheless, I seriously doubt that a private school graduate has an advantage over a public school graduate. In fact, exactly the opposite could be argued. For example, for an Illinois job, a UIUC student would probably hold an advantage over a Notre Dame student.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:51 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
monarchylover wrote:mike, I think he is talking about simarly ranked schools. Well that is what I was asking about anyways. I certainly don't think Tulane is anywhere near Michigan.

Yeah, I went back through and read and realized he wasn't comparing Michigan with Tulane; rather he was comparing simliarly ranked schools. Nevertheless, I seriously doubt that a private school graduate has an advantage over a public school graduate. In fact, exactly the opposite could be argued. For example, for an Illinois job, a UIUC student would probably hold an advantage over a Notre Dame student.

Yes but the point is a Notre Dame grad can seek employment in far more states than a student at what ever state university you're talking about.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

monarchylover wrote:
mikeditkaisgod wrote:

Yes but the point is a Notre Dame grad can seek employment in far more states than a student at what ever state university you're talking about.

It's a Saturday and I'm too lazy to look up the data, but I would bet that UIUC and Notre Dame are very close in their out of region placements.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
mikeditkaisgod wrote:

It's a Saturday and I'm too lazy to look up the data, but I would bet that UIUC and Notre Dame are very close in their out of region placements.

two tears in bucket... I don't really care anymore either!!

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:15 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
mikeditkaisgod wrote:

You would be wrong.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:56 am

I've been wrong before. I checked into it and Notre Dame holds an advantage in the Mid-Atlantic and Pacific regions. But, I would also argue that 50% of UIUC students are Illinois residents, and choose to stay closer to home; therefore, possibly negating any advantage Notre Dame would have in other markets (because, presumably, more Notre Dame students are from the Mid-Atlantic and Pacific regions and prefer to return home after graduation).

I know this is deviating away from the question; however, I still disagree with the poster who believes that Tulane holds an advantage over peer schools because it is a private school.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 am

I didn't say it was an "advantage" to be private per se, and I'm only comparing schools in the same rank range.

The students at the private schools don't compete with each other as much, unlike public law schools (outside of the T18). Thus, the students from private schools frequently do better in terms of employment because employers are unsure of whether they will get the opportunity to hire a higher ranked student over the one(s) that has(have) already applied. This is in sharp contrast to the public schools, where employers know they can hire off of the tip top only because those graduates really have no where else to go.

Once again, I'm not referring to big law only, nor am I referring to Tulane only.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 am

Tulane looks so good because only 54% of the class is represented by the data. Only 85% of those 54% represented in the data are actually reporting salaries.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”