DU Full-Ride or CU 57k in Tuition

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

DU- No tuition
39%
CU- 57k in tuition
61%

Total votes: 18

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Want to work in Colorado, but wouldn't mind working my way over to Texas/Oklahoma (From Dallas undergrad at OU).

Scholorship stips much more lenient at CU, but DU doesn't seem hard to keep either (12% lost their $$ last year, probationary year)

Prefer Boulder area to South Denver.

SO prefers Boulder area.

Wouldn't mind a shot at clerking, but understand this is a long shot.

Would love a chance to be a professor one day, understand this is a longer shot.

Likes DU and CU law schools although prefers CU campus to DU campus ( the buildings don't all match ).

Likes irrational reasoning and has amazing ability to feel content with any situation.

Is CU worth 57k more?

patrickd139

Re: DU Full-Ride or CU 57k in Tuition

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:35 pm

As a native Texan, via OU undergrad, what ties do you have to the Denver legal market?

ETA: Statistically speaking, neither school is going to place well in the very insulated Oklahoma legal market; neither school is going to give you a whiff at Texas unless you're pretty high up in the class.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 pm

patrickd139 wrote:what ties do you have to the Denver legal market?

I like it a lot.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

I like it a lot.

I predict you'll have to work on that if you want to land mid-big-law in Denver. Because you have no real ties, I suggest DU if you MUST choose one of those two.

What are your options in Oklahoma and Texas?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:43 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I like it a lot.

I predict you'll have to work on that if you want to land mid-big-law in Denver. Because you have no real ties, I suggest DU if you MUST choose one of those two.

I said I want to work in Colorado and you are going on and on about Texas and Oklahoma. If I MUST pick one, DU?

Anyone with some thoughts on these two schools, preferably someone in CO?

tspence13

Postby tspence13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I like it a lot.

I said I want to work in Colorado and you are going on and on about Texas and Oklahoma. If I MUST pick one, DU?

Anyone with some thoughts on these two schools, preferably someone in CO?

Both of my parents are attorney here in Colorado, and CU Law has a much better reputation across the state. Big Law in Denver is possible with both CU and DU, but you will have to work a lot harder at DU to get it. CU grads usually have first picks and then DU and then Wyoming. I dk what that person is talking about, if you must pick one, pick CU.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks. Any thoughts on DU vs CU portability? Would CU ever give me an edge in Texas should I ever decide to come back? What about some of the pro DU voters-- CU placed 10% of it's grads in Art. 3 clerkships last year while DU placed 0%, leading me to believe there really must be a large gap between the schools.

I do like that DU seems to be making a concerted effort ( backed up by lots of $$ ) to get better. Plus, it's way cheaper.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 pm

If you want Dallas, Texas, then SMU should have been considered. The University of Oklahoma for Oklahoma.
CU law & DU law are in different leagues. CU is much smaller & much more selective than DU. Colorado's retention is significantly higher than DU's retention rate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”