MVP or Reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

MVP or Reapply?

MVP
9
20%
Reapply
37
80%
 
Total votes: 46

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

MVP or Reapply?

Postby adam1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm

4.0/170, PTing in the 176-180 range retook in June and got a 175. Do I take $60k at MVP (they say they won't give me anymore) or reapply next year?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Reapply. You can get a better deal on MVP next time, and you'll be in a good spot for HLS, and a decent one for YHS.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:28 pm

What is it with this site and the reapply mantra?

Go to MVP. That's a great deal and you probably wouldn't do too much better with your numbers anyway. It's not worth a year of your life.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:30 pm

duckmoney wrote:What is it with this site and the reapply mantra?

Go to MVP. That's a great deal and you probably wouldn't do too much better with your numbers anyway. It's not worth a year of your life.


Are you kidding me? Those numbers are competitive for a named scholly at MVP. Even if they don't snag CCN by reapplying, (which they will, with money, maybe a lot of money), they will get substantially more money at MVP. And they have a realistic shot at YHS as DF said.

refusetolose
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby refusetolose » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Reapply. You deserve more $ for MVP with those numbers

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby fatduck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm

duckmoney wrote:What is it with this site and the reapply mantra?

Go to MVP. That's a great deal and you probably wouldn't do too much better with your numbers anyway. It's not worth a year of your life.

is he going to jail for a year or something? surely he can find something interesting to do.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Reapply! Enjoy Harvard, maybe Stanford or Yale.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Reapply.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Kabuo wrote:
duckmoney wrote:What is it with this site and the reapply mantra?

Go to MVP. That's a great deal and you probably wouldn't do too much better with your numbers anyway. It's not worth a year of your life.


Are you kidding me? Those numbers are competitive for a named scholly at MVP. Even if they don't snag CCN by reapplying, (which they will, with money, maybe a lot of money), they will get substantially more money at MVP. And they have a realistic shot at YHS as DF said.


Wow, reading comp fail. Thought he was going to reapply with a 170. Yes, 175 / 4.0 = full ride at MVP / in at Harvard. Reapply makes a lot more sense.

My apologies to desert fox.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Reapply. you have an average LSAT of 172.5. With that and your 4.0 you are very competitive for most of the T14 and beyond. MVP should offer you more money next cycle than this one- so even if you do decide to go with MVP next cycle, reapplying will save you a lot more money. Send in the applications the first day and see how it plays out. You are in a good place, congrats!

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby adam1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. Honestly, my issue is that I work around a lot of lawyers, and they all look at me like I'm crazy just for retaking. I've mentioned reapplying now a few times, and often they respond, "what the hell is wrong with (MVP)!? 60k is not enough!?"

Good to know that I'm not crazy.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 pm

if you were to wait a year and get more money- then 60k is not enough. worst case scenario is that you get offered the same amount. but then you will have another year of workign and saving in thebank- so you are still ahead.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:23 pm

4.0/175 makes you competitive at YHS and should guarantee you a larger scholarship at some T10 school. I would reapply if you have something worthwhile to do in the meantime.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:31 pm

You'll likely get a full ride at MVP next year and >$75k at CCN.

In at at least one of HYS.

Reapply dude.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby fingersxd » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:58 pm

adam1 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Honestly, my issue is that I work around a lot of lawyers, and they all look at me like I'm crazy just for retaking. I've mentioned reapplying now a few times, and often they respond, "what the hell is wrong with (MVP)!? 60k is not enough!?"

Good to know that I'm not crazy.


They are dumb and have a bad idea of how much debt you would have even minus 60k.

Ignore the blithering idiots and reapply...o, and congrats.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby glewz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:02 pm

adam1 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Honestly, my issue is that I work around a lot of lawyers, and they all look at me like I'm crazy just for retaking. I've mentioned reapplying now a few times, and often they respond, "what the hell is wrong with (MVP)!? 60k is not enough!?"

Good to know that I'm not crazy.


Those lawyers attend MVP and are biased. MVP with 60k is great, but you on the other hand, will go to HYS or CCN with >$60k. (Or MVP with a full scholarship)

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Cavalier wrote:4.0/175 makes you competitive at YHS and should guarantee you a larger scholarship at some T10 school. I would reapply if you have something worthwhile to do in the meantime.

Hell, I'd reapply even if it meant doing absolutely nothing and relaxing for a year.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Kabuo wrote:Are you kidding me? Those numbers are competitive for a named scholly at MVP. Even if they don't snag CCN by reapplying, (which they will, with money, maybe a lot of money), they will get substantially more money at MVP. And they have a realistic shot at YHS as DF said.


+1, reapply.

Also the mantra is "retake and reapply" which no one here said.... yet. :D

Seriously, the mantra should be "retake and reapply EARLY"


ETA: Um... had a reading comp fail... I thought OP's issue was not applying early. Herp, derp.

My reapply still stands though. In fact, if OP doesn't reapply I will hunt him/her down and remove from gene pool for being an idiot. I would kill for those numbers, personally.

run26.2
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby run26.2 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:47 pm

fingersxd wrote:
adam1 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Honestly, my issue is that I work around a lot of lawyers, and they all look at me like I'm crazy just for retaking. I've mentioned reapplying now a few times, and often they respond, "what the hell is wrong with (MVP)!? 60k is not enough!?"

Good to know that I'm not crazy.


They are dumb and have a bad idea of how much debt you would have even minus 60k.

Ignore the blithering idiots and reapply...o, and congrats.

I disagree with the bolded. The further you get from law school, the less your school matters. I think that is probably what is influencing this opinion. MVP are fine schools and offer you plenty of exit options.

I would probably reapply too, but if you are going to succeed coming out of HYS, you would have succeeded coming out of MVP as well. The real difference, IMO, is if you are slightly below median at the schools.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:4.0/175 makes you competitive at YHS and should guarantee you a larger scholarship at some T10 school. I would reapply if you have something worthwhile to do in the meantime.

In this case, worthwhile to do in the meantime means sitting on his butt and doing nothing in order to collect $$$ at those schools or even possibly at a better school.

It's like making $75K+ tax free for doing nothing if he gets a full-ride at MVP or a better school.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:49 pm

run26.2 wrote:I disagree with the bolded. The further you get from law school, the less your school matters. I think that is probably what is influencing this opinion. MVP are fine schools and offer you plenty of exit options.

I would probably reapply too, but if you are going to succeed coming out of HYS, you would have succeeded coming out of MVP as well. The real difference, IMO, is if you are slightly below median at the schools.

No one is saying MVP are bad schools. But taking MVP w/ $60k when you can potentially get a full-tuition scholarship at the same schools is dumb. So the real difference isn't just the level of schools OP is looking at, but that OP might come away with substantially less debt after reapplying, which certainly gives him/her better exit options.

run26.2
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby run26.2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 am

Dany wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I disagree with the bolded. The further you get from law school, the less your school matters. I think that is probably what is influencing this opinion. MVP are fine schools and offer you plenty of exit options.

I would probably reapply too, but if you are going to succeed coming out of HYS, you would have succeeded coming out of MVP as well. The real difference, IMO, is if you are slightly below median at the schools.

No one is saying MVP are bad schools. But taking MVP w/ $60k when you can potentially get a full-tuition scholarship at the same schools is dumb. So the real difference isn't just the level of schools OP is looking at, but that OP might come away with substantially less debt after reapplying, which certainly gives him/her better exit options.

I was talking about the attorneys with whom OP was interacting. I agree that coming out with less debt is the preferred outcome. But even as you point out, this is only a potentiality and not a sure thing.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: MVP or Reapply?

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:50 pm

run26.2 wrote: I agree that coming out with less debt is the preferred outcome. But even as you point out, this is only a potentiality and not a sure thing.

Getting a T-10 full ride is uncertain, but OP will absolutely get a larger scholarship to the same school or a better one next year. That is a sure thing.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests