Best schools for St. Louis jobs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:Hey everyone,

I just recently received my LSAT score so now it's time to figure out what schools I should consider. I live in St. Louis and the one thing I know is that I want to return to St. Louis after law school. I don't know what type of law to go into, but I'm interested in possibly working for a mid to large STL firm or possibly a clerkship. Ideally, I want a good salary without ridiculous work hours. I got a 170 with a 3.7 GPA, so I have lots of options.

With this in mind, I'm really stuck. Should I look at expensive, far-away T15 schools like Penn, Georgetown, and Cornell? Is it better to focus on solid Midwest schools like Iowa, Notre Dame, and Indiana, hoping to get some money? Or since I want to stay in St. Louis, would it be better to stay in Missouri, and consider WUSTL and U of Missouri, hoping for lots of money and solid STL connections?

I really want to go to the best school possible, but I don't need connections to BigLaw in NYC, Chicago, or DC, so is it even worth paying the big bucks to go to a highly ranked school? Thanks!


I like how you say T15. Why are you so interested in going to Texas?

User avatar
punkyg0608
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby punkyg0608 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:14 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm glad that you created this thread, because I'm wondering the same things.

However, what I have been told by a few STL lawyers is that certain big name firms only higher from SLU (which is currently ranked much higher than Mizzou, oddly enough). In fact, quite a few firms in STL don't look favorably on WashU grads because many of them don't have ties to the city, however if you do, you may fair better.

Definitely don't go the Mizzou route. Their law degree continues to devalue, year after year. You don't want to go down with that ship, unless you plan to do Missouri politics, in which case, being a Tiger is a major vote getter.

I mean, it's obvious that any T-14 is going to have major name recognition and is going to have a wealth of OCI's and placement opportunities, but if you know that you want STL, I think it's probably best to already be in STL that way you can become involved in the community.

For that reason, I'd probably do WashU or SLU, depending on what kind of scholarship offer you get. I from the STL area and what I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, is that people in this area higher their own. They want people committed to STL, not people looking for a nice paycheck waiting to move out east, which is their perception of many T-14 grads.
\

That's kind of what I was thinking. If Mizzou keeps falling in the ranks it is not a good sign. SLU is actually not ranked much higher than Mizzou, and both are Third Tier. The only Missouri school in the top 100 is WUSTL, which is why I'm wondering if St. Louis law firms might be more interested in graduates from schools outside Missouri as opposed to SLU or Mizzou graduates.

(And actually, I would love to go into politics someday! :D Maybe going to a school in a different state is a bad idea after all...)

User avatar
punkyg0608
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby punkyg0608 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 pm

lawgod wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:Hey everyone,

I just recently received my LSAT score so now it's time to figure out what schools I should consider. I live in St. Louis and the one thing I know is that I want to return to St. Louis after law school. I don't know what type of law to go into, but I'm interested in possibly working for a mid to large STL firm or possibly a clerkship. Ideally, I want a good salary without ridiculous work hours. I got a 170 with a 3.7 GPA, so I have lots of options.

With this in mind, I'm really stuck. Should I look at expensive, far-away T15 schools like Penn, Georgetown, and Cornell? Is it better to focus on solid Midwest schools like Iowa, Notre Dame, and Indiana, hoping to get some money? Or since I want to stay in St. Louis, would it be better to stay in Missouri, and consider WUSTL and U of Missouri, hoping for lots of money and solid STL connections?

I really want to go to the best school possible, but I don't need connections to BigLaw in NYC, Chicago, or DC, so is it even worth paying the big bucks to go to a highly ranked school? Thanks!


I like how you say T15. Why are you so interested in going to Texas?


Not interested in Texas, but I am interested in Georgetown! I guess since they're tied at 14 I should just say T14. Speaking of DC schools, I got another question: Would GWU be respected in St. Louis? I would love to spend 3 years in DC, and if I were accepted into GWU's ED full scholarship I would be thrilled. But without connection to STL, it does me no good.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby beachbum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Holy crap there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First, DO NOT GO TO SLU. OR MIZZOU. Your numbers are way, WAY out of their league. If you want a Missouri school, it's WUSTL or bust. (And yes, they're going to throw a lot of money at you).

Second, I'll just reiterate my first post: since you already have established ties to St. Louis, a T14 degree is going to make getting a Biglaw job in STL (or any other city, for that matter) easier than a WUSTL degree. And this is true regardless of how many STL firms show up to X T14's OCI; STL firms tend to not travel very far out of their region due to diminishing returns (simply not enough St. Louisans looking to return to STL at top schools).

WUSTL has two major benefits over T14 schools: cost (which will undoubtedly be lower at WUSTL) and networking potential. And the obvious benefit of a T14 is placement power. So it's your call if the increased placement power is worth the increased cost.

User avatar
drays917
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby drays917 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:40 pm

beachbum wrote:Holy crap there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First, DO NOT GO TO SLU. OR MIZZOU. Your numbers are way, WAY out of their league. If you want a Missouri school, it's WUSTL or bust. (And yes, they're going to throw a lot of money at you).

Second, I'll just reiterate my first post: since you already have established ties to St. Louis, a T14 degree is going to make getting a Biglaw job in STL (or any other city, for that matter) easier than a WUSTL degree. And this is true regardless of how many STL firms show up to X T14's OCI; STL firms tend to not travel very far out of their region due to diminishing returns (simply not enough St. Louisans looking to return to STL at top schools).

WUSTL has two major benefits over T14 schools: cost (which will undoubtedly be lower at WUSTL) and networking potential. And the obvious benefit of a T14 is placement power. So it's your call if the increased placement power is worth the increased cost.



All of this is true. Personally, I would go to the best school available (preferably a midwestern T14), just in case something happens and you change your mind about working in St Louis. The T14s aren't going to limit your options, so even if you go "far away" it's highly likely you'll be able to make it back. But yeah, as mentioned above, there is no reason to go anywhere below WUSTL.

JP84
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Best schools for St. Louis jobs

Postby JP84 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I know this is old, but for what it's worth, a friend of mine went to Mizzou with similar numbers, finished number 2 in the class, worked biglaw jobs in St. Louis both summers (2gs a week) and ultimately got a job at Lewis Rice making 120k, which is about the max in Stl. Fact is, if you are as smart as your numbers suggest, you'll do really well and have your pick of jobs in St. Louis.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earlskies, freekick, jingosaur and 11 guests