Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BrooklynDodger89
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby BrooklynDodger89 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Got accepted into St. Johns for a full ride, with the only stipulation being to remain in good academic standing. Also just found out I was accepted to Fordham off the waitlist, but with no aid. Any input/advice is appreciated, as I have no idea what to do...

49ers2237
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby 49ers2237 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Fordham.... St Johns is terrible

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

The COA for Fordham sticker is 74K per year. I just don't think that a 225K debt is serviceable.

http://law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/1890.htm

...And I agree that St. Johns is terrible. So, we are only left with one option: Retake/Reapply.

BrooklynDodger89
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby BrooklynDodger89 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Not that this will change your opinion, but I forgot to mention that I would be commuting to school as I would be living in my childhood home in NYC, so it would be a little less than 74k.

law's cool
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby law's cool » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Pick Fordham. I picked it over full scholarships at SJU, BLS, and what ended up being a very large scholarship at Cardozo.

SJU placement stats are simply horrendous.

law's cool
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby law's cool » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 pm

BrooklynDodger89 wrote:Not that this will change your opinion, but I forgot to mention that I would be commuting to school as I would be living in my childhood home in NYC, so it would be a little less than 74k.


And if you're commuting, this is a no-brainer. I will be commuting too.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I disagree with pretty much everyone. Fordham is not worth anywhere near that much money. If you must go to law school next year, go to St. John's and take the money. If you can fund COL out of savings / parental support, then this is a no brainer. Free is free.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm

BrooklynDodger89 wrote:Not that this will change your opinion, but I forgot to mention that I would be commuting to school as I would be living in my childhood home in NYC, so it would be a little less than 74k.

Are you looking for my approval? You are the one that will be stuck with the huge debt, whether it is 225K or 150K.

Good luck.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Retake---> Reapply ---> Fordham $$$/Cornell/some other T30 with $$$

law's cool
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby law's cool » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

duckmoney wrote:I disagree with pretty much everyone. Fordham is not worth anywhere near that much money. If you must go to law school next year, go to St. John's and take the money. If you can fund COL out of savings / parental support, then this is a no brainer. Free is free.



Free is free, but what use is a JD if you can't get a job? Fordham is a much better investment, especially as a commuter.

49ers2237
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby 49ers2237 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Fordham is definately worth sticker price when you're comparing it to St Johns. 150k in debt is tough, but being chronically unemployed because you graduated from a crappy law school is worse. Not having debt is small consolation if you're working at Starbucks with a law degree. Ur chances of getting a high paying job are immeasurably higher at Fordham. The law school you go to will affect your job prospects and how other people view you for the rest of your life. 150k might look like a lot now but over the course of your life the difference in earnings will be much more than 150k if you go to Fordham rather than St. Johns.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby Gemini » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm in the same boat as you (I chose Fordham over a school giving me more) and will be attending for almost sticker. On top of that, I am definitely spending at least one year closer to the school/away from home. I feel the burden of such a large debt.

All I can do is pray that I do really well and land a great, well-paying job once I graduate. With a 160K salary, I think I can pay off a lot of debt very quickly (especially if I move into Astoria or Brooklyn once I graduate).

Good luck!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm

49ers2237 wrote:Fordham is definately worth sticker price when you're comparing it to St Johns. 150k in debt is tough, but being chronically unemployed because you graduated from a crappy law school is worse. Not having debt is small consolation if you're working at Starbucks with a law degree. Ur chances of getting a high paying job are immeasurably higher at Fordham. The law school you go to will affect your job prospects and how other people view you for the rest of your life. 150k might look like a lot now but over the course of your life the difference in earnings will be much more than 150k if you go to Fordham rather than St. Johns.


Actually there is a pretty good chance that it won't be worth it to attend Fordham at sticker. There is rarely a situation when going to SJU makes sense though.

JimmyThomas
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby JimmyThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Anyone that tells you that fordham is worth anything close to sticker is either a delusional current fordham student or a clueless 0L. The cost of attendance is close to 75k. Do you think that loans are type of free money?

Even if you make biglaw (extremely unlikely), I hope you like it enough that you could stay on for years in attempts to pay back 200k+ in loans. Most only last a few years.

Retake, full ride at T30 or accepted into T8- otherwise don't go to law school.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham sticker vs. full ride SJU?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 pm

JimmyThomas wrote:Anyone that tells you that fordham is worth anything close to sticker is either a delusional current fordham student or a clueless 0L. The cost of attendance is close to 75k. Do you think that loans are type of free money?

Retake, full ride at T30 or accepted into T8- otherwise don't go to law school.


WTH is a T8? Which one of MVP are you trolling against? T30s with like 80K debt are generally OK, but once you start getting into the 150K range...no way.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests