GULC or NW?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justbubbles

GULC or NW?

Postby justbubbles » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Washington vs Chicago for starters.

List some reasons as to which one you'd pick.

Just seeking some opinions. That's all.

Go! :D

ps - no scholly at either.

neuroticjew

Re: GULC or NW?

Postby neuroticjew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm majorly into govt and public policy, so I'd go with GULC based on those interests. However, pros and cons with each.

Northwestern: Great city (I lived in Chicago for years and can answer your questions if you like), very strong Biglaw placement, very serious reputation. If you don't detest Chicago weather, plan on corporate placement, and would like to make law review, go here.

GULC: D.C. is less of a city and more of a la-la-land. (Yes, I compared it to L.A. Culturally, they're surprisingly similar.) And GULC is huge, hence why people here jokingly (I hope jokingly) call it a diploma mill. But if your plans are at all more public interest-oriented this is the superior choice. The Supreme Court and Congress are just a short walk away.

I guess the real question is what kind of law are you heading towards? The schools' emphases are very different.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 am

Ya it really depends on if you have a strong inclination towards either PI (GULC) or biglaw(NU). I, like the person above me, am really into govt/PI so I would be thrilled with GULC.

Both are excellent schools.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:48 am

I'm drunk and incapable of posting a relevant response, but I chose NU over GULC and can answer questions (via PM or here) once I have sobered up.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:49 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I'm drunk and incapable of posting a relevant response, but I chose NU over GULC and can answer questions (via PM or here) once I have sobered up.

:lol:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:51 am

NU has a local market that it pretty well dominates, with fewer students to place within it. GULC has a giant class and everyone and their cousin with top grades from a T10 is trying to break into DC.

enron123

Postby enron123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

NU is supposed to have better LRAP just a tidbit on the GULC better for PI angle

FWIW I would choose NU regardless of interests but thats me

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 am

Northwestern for better job placement & better reputation--although Georgetown is a great law school.
I also prefer NU's lakefront setting, but this could go either way.

Congratulations !

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

I'm a big fan of Chicago - I live fairly close - and I prefer biglaw. I don't know much about D.C. since I haven't been there since I was 12, so I would go NU. Also, NU is the second best school for Chicago placement while GULC has tons of competition. ITT it's probably easier to get a job from NU

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:43 pm

enron123 wrote:NU is supposed to have better LRAP just a tidbit on the GULC better for PI angle

FWIW I would choose NU regardless of interests but thats me

NU does have a fantastic LRAP - I am PI/govt focused and still chose it over GULC. I also felt like job prospects were overall better coming out of NU, at least partially because of the difference in class size.

Holly Golightly wrote:I'm drunk and incapable of posting a relevant response, but I chose NU over GULC and can answer questions (via PM or here) once I have sobered up.

Also, you would get awesome classmates like me.

azure55

Postby azure55 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:18 pm

GULC and NU were my top choices (to the point where I only applied to those two schools), and I went with GULC. It was a tough choice because I love, love, love Chicago (I have a BS and MS from NU), but I think it really boils down to what kind of work you want to get into and where you ultimately want to live.

NU is great for corporate law. But if you’re interested in gov/PI or international law, nothing beats being immersed in all that is DC (well, there’s NY for international too, but DC vs NY is a matter of personal preference).

In DC you can network with the gov crowd, stop by lectures at think tanks and see our nation’s courts in action on a daily basis in a way that you can’t in other parts of the country. Not to mention GULC has awesome clinics. Sometimes we forget that our law school experience isn’t just shaped by what happens in the classroom (or by what certain rankings have to say *cough*USNWR*cough*).

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! Feedback is much appreciated. :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”