BU 15kyr v BC 15k year waitlist smackdown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU or BC?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:33 pm

BU
33%
BC
67%

Total votes: 24

loblaw

BU 15kyr v BC 15k year waitlist smackdown

Postby loblaw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 pm

First, sorry for starting another BU v BC thread.

BU took me off the waitlist with 15k/year, then BC called 3 days later, and I just found out they matched BU. I already pestered BU for an extra 5k/year, which I got, and I'm not sure how they'd react if I went back and asked for more, making it clear I didn't withdraw from the BC waitlist. I thought BC would exceed BU by at least a little bit.

I was aiming for BC since the beginning, mostly because I really wanted to be in Boston, and it was a more realistic choice for my numbers. I went on a tour there and loved the campus and professors I met. I also have some ties there that would be helpful in the future, but nothing amazing. I really like the sense of community I picked up on there.

BU I didn't get a great feel for--I didn't attend a tour and have only been there during off-peak hours, so I didn't get to meet any students or professors. I love their vast study abroad options, and they were much more efficient in all aspects. I also prefer the more urban location (but the building really is atrocious.) I don't really know where I want to practice yet, so BU's rumored relative "mobility" is a plus, and BU also speaks to my inner rankings whore. Oh, and they have my deposit money.

Interests: biglaw corporate litigation, high-end criminal law, energy law

I ultimately want to do what's best for my career, and I don't know what that is right now.

What do?

(TL;DR Version: See interests above, tell me which school mmkay?)

loblaw

Re: BU 15kyr v BC 15k year waitlist smackdown

Postby loblaw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Also, does anyone know why BU is ranked above BC? I mean, their employment stats are nearly identical--what USNWR metric(s) cause(s) BU to be ranked higher?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:13 pm

More BU voters than voters with BC connections ? Regardless, beyond the top 17, tier one rankings seem to be distinctions without much reason since the schools tend to be adequately funded & regional.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 pm

The rankings are a huge mess of odd factors that no one seems to really understand. I wouldn't worry about the difference in rankings. They are essentially peer schools in every meaningful metric. The real decider should be the feel you get from the school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm

In the Boston area, I suspect that both BU & BC place well, but Arizona & Arizona State, though much lower ranked within tier one, place much better in Phoenix.

Avoid game playing or trying to start a bidding war between BU & BC and just enroll at the law school at which you have a better fit. City or suburb, for example.

Congratulations !

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah, I'm really tired of the admissions games, and at this point I really have no leverage. I just want to go to law school already. I really I wish I had gotten to know BU better early in the game. Thanks for your input.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Do you want to live in Newton or Boston? Attend appropriately.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 pm

All I can say is there is no reason not to bargain.
I bargained like a beast, and when back to a school after another one beat them. I wrote: "I am a bit embarrassed coming back a second time, but I didn't want to make a final decision without giving you an opportunity to respond."
They matched.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 am

That's actually a really nice way to put it, and I may have to at least try it. It's legitimately how I feel; I'm just afraid it's going to draw out the process and am concerned it might slightly tarnish my image with the administration at whichever school I attend. Thing is, my numbers don't really warrant a bidding war. As a reverse spliiter, there are very few people on LSN with my numbers who even got in, let alone with a decent scholly. I wrote strongly worded LOCI's to both schools (neither dishonest, one more strongly worded than the other) and don't want them to think I'm being a dick.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:11 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Do you want to live in Newton or Boston? Attend appropriately.

Though of course some do live in Newton, most BC Law students live in Brighton, Alston, and Brookline.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:47 am

The reason bu>bc rankings wise is because bu has become extremely adept at gaming the system. For example, go to their website where you can find that bu has hired back 20% of it's own graduates!!! Bc has not had todo this. Taking that into consideration makes bc the superior school employment wise. Check the other bu v bc threads where it is fleshed out further.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 am

At equal cost, you have to visit each school. They are very different types of schools.

BC is in Chestnut hill, with the law school located in Newton about a mile down the road from the main campus. It is a small law school with a good student-teacher ratio, and an even better student-law review position ratio (important if you want to participate on a journal). The university as a whole is a very tightnit community with a strong alumni base. The university has D1 sports in the ACC and is known nationally, largely due to its undergraduate college and the sports. Most students live in the Allston/Brighton area and drive to the law school, though the university offers a free shuttle to and from campus (and to other areas). BC has always been a T30 school, rankings ranging from 19 to 28. BC is one of the highest ranked non-T14 law schools based on placement into biglaw and article III clerkships. BC has its own campus that it shares with around 100 freshman, meaning you don't have to be surrounded by the undergrads as you study in your own library. BC has a reputation of being very preppy, a university for wealthy new englanders. This often causes backlash with locals who resent that BC is not the catholic university for the local irish immigrants, as it once was.

BU is a large university located in Boston along the Charles river. It is an old university but has expanded to become one of the largest universities in the country. The undergraduate program is mediocre and lacks the prestige of other Boston area schools, but the university offers decent graduate programs. While only 3 miles down the road from BC, BU is close to fenway along the green line. Public transportation is going to have to be your choice of commute, as having a car so far into the city is not recommended. Rent can be expensive around BU, but most students live in Brighton/Allston. the same neighborhood BC students live. BU has a strong hockey program, but lacks any other real sports. The alumni network and national name aren't as strong as BC, but the law school has done an outstanding job at increasing their presence in US News and in recruiting at large law firms in New York and Boston. In 2003, BU outranked BC for the first time since US News started ranking law schools, and hasn't given up the position since. BU was ranked in the 30s for much of the 1990s until it cut its class size in half to alter its student-teacher ratio. It is now usually ranked in the low 20s by US News. While it ranks behind BC in terms of biglaw placement and Article III clerkship placement, the difference is fairly nominal with only five or six more students at BC getting biglaw. The law school is housed in the Tower, which is generally considered the ugliest law school in america, but I actually found it to be decent when you are inside the building. You get some good views of the city and the recent renovations make it functional with current technology. It is also the one place you can go to get away from the throngs of undergrads that make up the giant student body at BU. The one problem is that the library is insufficient for a top tier law school. Discussion is constant about a new building with an actual law library just for law students, but it never actually happens. Recent developments are promising that one is in the works.

In the end, these are peer schools and pretty much interchangeable when it comes to law firm placement and jobs. However, your experience while in law school will be very different. Therefore, visit each and decide which you like better for those three years and choose accordingly.

Good luck!

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:00 am

Um there are more than 100 freshmen on Newton campus. There are four dorms, each containing hundreds of students. Half the freshman class is on Newton. i know this because I lived on Newton my freshman year at BC. That said, I agree that it won't matter much except that you share a dining hall.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:17 am

@bceagles or anyone who knows about the Newton campus--does BC gave a decent gym near the law school? I looked all over the web site and couldn't find any info on this.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:22 am

bceagles182 wrote:Um there are more than 100 freshmen on Newton campus. There are four dorms, each containing hundreds of students. Half the freshman class is on Newton. i know this because I lived on Newton my freshman year at BC. That said, I agree that it won't matter much except that you share a dining hall.

What year did you graduate BC? I went to BC as a freshman, lived on Newton.

BCLS Alum

Postby BCLS Alum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 am

BC has a gym on the main campus and a small gym on the law school campus. Unlike BU, these gyms are optional so you don't have to pay for them unless you want to use them. You can sign up for a membership if you want to use the school gyms, but most law students used their own private gyms (BSC was a popular choice) rather than use the BC gym.

BCeagles is right regarding Newton campus. There are more than a hundred freshman on the Newton campus, though it did feel like there were only a handful at any given time. They spend most of their time on the main campus. It is still very different than having the entire 20,000 or so BU undergrads just outside the library all day. :) I don't think I would have cared about this either way, but I know some law students who would have.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have regarding BC.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Though my personal preference leans towards BC, I believe that BU has very highly ranked professors.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Are there ample quiet places to study at BU with the library being as subpar as it is claimed to be?

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Any final words on this subject? I have had a ridiculously hard time with this, and am likely going to choose BU because of its more convenient location, study abroad options I'm pretty interested in, and more representation in the most "prestigious" firms. I feel like these aren't really great reasons, and I may well be doing it wrong. I have until the end of the day--any further insights?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:36 pm

BU has a more convenient location?
The BU law school is in the city, so it is only convenient if you are not going to be going in and out of the city. If you like the beach, the mountains, or anything outside of the city, BC is more convenient as it allows you to have a car and provides significantly cheaper housing options.

BU has more study abroad options?
The schools offer the same study abroad options. If anything, BC offers more study abroad opportunities than BU. http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/progra ... /busl.html
http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services/ ... nical.html

BU places better in "prestigious" firms?
BU's "more representation in the most "prestigious" firms."
BC has better placement stats in the "most prestigious firms."
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 pm

There is a an abundance of info on this same topic in various threads in the Choosing forums (including my own) and the Discuss Your Law School forums. I suggest you read through each thread you find in its entirety if the summaries presented so far aren't enough.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152459
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153485
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130751
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148248

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm

I had the new Dean of Boston College for Ks.

Booked it, of course.

Edit: I hope that was helpful!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”