Charlotte School of Law vs. Thomas Jefferson vs...****

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flcath

Re: Charlotte School of Law vs. Thomas Jefferson vs...****

Postby flcath » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:09 am

NYC Law wrote: The majority of people who seriously consider attending schools that awful don't bother to do research or ever visit this site. The posts we do get regarding schools of this caliber are the product of some jackass (the "troll") making things up designed to stir up negative emotions, debate, and memes (the "flame").

Even TLS gives up on these poor, exploited kids. Not that they'd ever listen even if we did make a logical case against attending... and really, you look at some of these kids, and what the hell else are they going to do?

This is by no means a novel perspective, but sometimes (I don't think about it that much, obviously) I really do wonder how the administrations at these schools live with themselves. I think they must try not to think about it that much, either.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:31 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:
shepdawg wrote:Why do people call flame on this topic?

I'm assuming because they think you are going into a "flame" if you go to one of these schools. Just an analogy for saying they a bad, that's what I get based on what they have told me.

Because most of the schools given are for profit and the absolute worst law schools. The majority of people who seriously consider attending schools that awful don't bother to do research or ever visit this site. The posts we do get regarding schools of this caliber are the product of some jackass (the "troll") making things up designed to stir up negative emotions, debate, and memes (the "flame").

So, apparently I was a "troll" for asking for advice? Good to know... this forum can be brutal.

I bolded the key part which is what would make you a troll. If you're serious the answer is a simple "don't go". The "Even if they paid you" part is true as well since these schools are great at finding ways to take scholarship money away from you.

If you really want to go, at least go to a cheap TTTT that has an okay reputation. Off the top of my head - CUNY, FIU, any state school where in-state tuition would be possible. Basically, only go to a private school if it's T1, anything lower and public is the way to go.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:39 am

Shoot people, who said I was going to go to one of these schools... only was asking for opinions on them. Thanks for the advice, I will move on.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 am

See below... never stated "I really wanted to go" to one of these schools... simply was just trying to get others opinions on these schools... one of the points of these forums. Thanks.

mcco5672

Postby mcco5672 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:29 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:
fanmingrui wrote:I'd pick TJSL due to it's new, state-of-the-art campus and the reverence the school is given by alumni.
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/lawsuit- ... ol-of-law/

It's refreshing to hear that you are attending there. If you don't mind me asking, what was your LSAT and GPA? If you feel more comfortable you can send it in a message or if your not comfortable giving it out at all that's not a problem at all. I have heard good things about the school as well and love San Diego (who wouldn't). I am currently looking at their Spring program. How long did it take to hear back from them after you turned in your application? Were you able to receive any scholarship money? Sorry I am bombarding you with so many questions, I am just trying to weigh my options right now and trying to take advantage of all the advice I can get. I have a high GPA, but my LSAT score is not high at all (very depressing), so I am very stressed out about that and am dreading the thought of having to take it over again, so I am considering applying with my low LSAT score. Would you advice me to re-take it if I got a 146 (extremely embarrassing) and my GPA is a 3.65? Any other comments or words of advice related to TJ?

Take the test again. Each point you gain increases your chances of acceptance and scholarship money. A ten point gain, even a twenty point gain, is doable with the right course of study. I know someone in the top 10% at TJ and while they do have a job this summer, they recognize that many times their resume will go in the trash can just because of the name of the school on it. They want to transfer.

I went to TJSL for the past 1.5 years and am now transferring to SCU (T2). I would definitely recommend taking the LSAT again. I got a 158 and had a 3.1 GPA and they gave me a 2/3 scholarship). If you're smart and do well you can be in the top 5-10% and transfer to USD (if you want to stay in the area). All in all its not a bad school, just a traditional T4 which is hard to get a job from (easier if you want to practice in San Diego but still hard).

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:31 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:See below... never stated "I really wanted to go" to one of these schools... simply was just trying to get others opinions on these schools... one of the points of these forums. Thanks.

That makes you even worse than people who really want to go to those schools.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

atashakor

Postby atashakor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:22 am

although all schools are crap.....calwestern should not be put in the same category as the other schools......dont get me wrong they are all crap, but surviving the attrition rate at calwestern is quite an accomplishment, and its reputation in San diego, Arizona, and Nevada is pretty good. I know alot of successful alumni's from there....

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:So, apparently I was a "troll" for asking for advice? Good to know... this forum can be brutal.

Well, it appears you did not try to stir up people intentionally. So, no, you're not a troll. Just misinformed. Which, honestly, I applaude you for coming here to get advice on these schools before enrolling. It's a smart move to double-check your decisions, especially when they entail 6-figure debt and 3 years of studying for naught. Yes, TLS can be brutal (Some folks will even lash out on Cornell for being the "shitty Ivy of last resort") but it's overall a very helpful forum.

That said, all of those schools are awful for-profit diploma mills that will accept anyone and then after the first year, kick out a 3rd of them, thus earning $40k but not awarding diplomas. They're all terrible schools where few people will ever find legitimate legal work from. Do not go. You NEED to retake your LSAT with serious effort. Your GPA is very solid. People get into T14 schools with a 3.65, so hustle and try and raise your LSAT by at least ten points. If you can score a 160, you can get into almost any T2 and maybe a couple T1s. Do not sell yourself short.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:00 pm

crossarmant wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:So, apparently I was a "troll" for asking for advice? Good to know... this forum can be brutal.

Well, it appears you did not try to stir up people intentionally. So, no, you're not a troll. Just misinformed. Which, honestly, I applaude you for coming here to get advice on these schools before enrolling. It's a smart move to double-check your decisions, especially when they entail 6-figure debt and 3 years of studying for naught. Yes, TLS can be brutal (Some folks will even lash out on Cornell for being the "shitty Ivy of last resort") but it's overall a very helpful forum.

That said, all of those schools are awful for-profit diploma mills that will accept anyone and then after the first year, kick out a 3rd of them, thus earning $40k but not awarding diplomas. They're all terrible schools where few people will ever find legitimate legal work from. Do not go. You NEED to retake your LSAT with serious effort. Your GPA is very solid. People get into T14 schools with a 3.65, so hustle and try and raise your LSAT by at least ten points. If you can score a 160, you can get into almost any T2 and maybe a couple T1s. Do not sell yourself short.

OP is a troll because s/he even admitted that s/he wasn't considering attending any of these schools. That is what makes this thread even more pathetic. Just an attempt to stir people up by naming some of the worst schools in the country and seeing what people say. I would suggest finding another hobby. I hear LSAT prep takes up a lot of time.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Birdman wrote:To the OP, the only one of those schools to consider is Cal Western (it has a good rep in San Diego). But even that school has a horrible curve and fails out a lot of students. (I've spoken to CW students who had their legal writing section wiped out by attrition). I went to TJ and am now transferring out (this is very hard to do, trust me a lot of smart people I know got bad grades and/or have failed out). Lawyers will not take you seriously if you attend one of those schools. Case in point, discussion I had with one of my supervising attorneys. Her: Where do you go to law school? Me: Thomas Jefferson. Her: Oh, well, that's a.... school. True story.

This is an amazing link

https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx

Pay close attention to the attrition rates in the guide....

edit: TJ's tuition is 40k, not 19k like it says in the guide. Def a typo on LSAC's part.

I truly appreciation your honesty on both sides of the fence... it's nice to see someone actually give their opinion from both sides and be nice about it. As you can see from the previous posts many have been pretty rude about me just asking their opinions on these schools, so I truly thank you for your honesty and will definitely take serious note of it!!

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 pm

crossarmant wrote:

Thank you for your kind words and not attacking my questions! I am already on the roll starting to study for October and planning to increase my score! So, keeping my fingers crossed :)

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:32 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

OP is a troll because s/he even admitted that s/he wasn't considering attending any of these schools. That is what makes this thread even more pathetic. Just an attempt to stir people up by naming some of the worst schools in the country and seeing what people say. I would suggest finding another hobby. I hear LSAT prep takes up a lot of time.

I more or less said that as a defense mechanism because I was constantly being attacked (that's human nature). So, get off your high horse and stop mocking people. Myself and many others are just on these forums to get advice and ask questions. Lose these stupid "flame","troll" and whatever other words you come up with to make others feel like crap and just get down to answering others questions instead of trying to make fools out of other people. It is people like you and ndirish that turn people away from these forums because you just poke fun out of people when they are just trying to find out some information from others that have gone through similar situations (such as applying to law schools). You say I need another hobby? I suggest you take your own advice my friend... who honestly takes the effort to go on top-law-schools.com and read a post and goes "oh, let's say some smartass comment back"... sounds like you my friend... that's someone with a lame ass hobby and no life. So, unlike someone like me who is trying to find information out and is researching, you are on your computer, on this website, trying to belittle people.... job well done!! Want a cookie? :lol:

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

I more or less said that as a defense mechanism because I was constantly being attacked (that's human nature). So, get off your high horse and stop mocking people. Myself and many others are just on these forums to get advice and ask questions. Lose these stupid "flame","troll" and whatever other words you come up with to make others feel like crap and just get down to answering others questions instead of trying to make fools out of other people. It is people like you and ndirish that turn people away from these forums because you just poke fun out of people when they are just trying to find out some information from others that have gone through similar situations (such as applying to law schools). You say I need another hobby? I suggest you take your own advice my friend... who honestly takes the effort to go on top-law-schools.com and read a post and goes "oh, let's say some smartass comment back"... sounds like you my friend... that's someone with a lame ass hobby and no life. So, unlike someone like me who is trying to find information out and is researching, you are on your computer, on this website, trying to belittle people.... job well done!! Want a cookie? :lol:

Oh and my bad... shouldn't surprise me, you are indeed ndirish, go figure. You definitely don't represent the Irish well, they'd be disappointed.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 pm

You're a moron and you get what you deserve by going to one of those schools.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm

LOL, I'm OK with my law school choice. These forums have been invaluable to me over the last two years. I would not have had the success that I had in law school, been as prepared as I will be for OCI, etc...without TLS. I am still unsure how it is such a bad thing to attempt to dissuade people from attending these TTTTs that just steal your money and provide no job prospects. If you are not a flame, I apologize, but your posts have all the typical flame characteristics. Seriously, you picked like 5 of the 10 worst schools in the country to ask about and you expect people on here to coddle you?

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:04 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:

i think you just had a meltdown

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Birdman wrote:To the OP, the only one of those schools to consider is Cal Western (it has a good rep in San Diego). But even that school has a horrible curve and fails out a lot of students. (I've spoken to CW students who had their legal writing section wiped out by attrition). I went to TJ and am now transferring out (this is very hard to do, trust me a lot of smart people I know got bad grades and/or have failed out). Lawyers will not take you seriously if you attend one of those schools. Case in point, discussion I had with one of my supervising attorneys. Her: Where do you go to law school? Me: Thomas Jefferson. Her: Oh, well, that's a.... school. True story.

This is an amazing link

https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx

Pay close attention to the attrition rates in the guide....

edit: TJ's tuition is 40k, not 19k like it says in the guide. Def a typo on LSAC's part.

P.S. I always liked this link, but now that you have pointed out the attrition rates in the guide I like it even more, so thanks for that!!

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:15 pm

These schools are really crummy and I would not advise going to any of them but the people on this board really put the douche in douche bag... These people on this board are negative nacy's fo sho!!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:29 pm

monarchylover wrote:These schools are really crummy and I would not advise going to any of them but the people on this board really put the douche in douche bag... These people on this board are negative nacy's fo sho!!

realism FTW.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 pm

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 am

There needs to be a uniform way to address these "[TTTT #1 vs. TTTT #2]" threads on TLS.

As of right now, a disproportionate number of them end this way.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 pm

monarchylover wrote:These schools are really crummy and I would not advise going to any of them but the people on this board really put the douche in douche bag... These people on this board are negative nacy's fo sho!!

Ya, that's what I have heard and gotten after doing a lot of researching on my own as well, but I really appreciate your advice and of course nice comments... people can definitely be Debbie downers!!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Taking advice from people who actually know things is overrated, right?

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Jeez, what are you gonna say next? "A MIND IS LIKE PARACHUTE! ONLY WHEN WORKS WHEN OPEN LOL!" I call troll.

In the even you aren't a troll:
Do not go to any law school. Sunshine apparently seems to leak out your ass when what's actually needed as a lawyer is superb critical reasoning. "ZOMFG CLIENT! EVERYTHING WILL B OK!" is not what I am referring to. Go work as a "Legislative Aide" on Capitol Hill or some other quasi-legal-political job if you must, and leave the real lawyering to those who can break the 4th tier.

I may be a "negative nancy fo sho" but you do not belong in law practice regardless of your open-mindedness and naively positive outlook on your chances as a participant in the legal industry.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”