Best for florida market? Humor me

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For Tampa Bay Market

UNC Instate
13%
Miami $$ or Stetson $$$
31%
UF FSU UGA Emory at sticker
56%

Total votes: 16

monarchylover

Best for florida market? Humor me

Postby monarchylover » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 am

Last edited by monarchylover on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warmweatherseeker

Re: Best for florida market? Humor me

Postby warmweatherseeker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am

I live in Florida and have a lot of experience with law firms like the ones you are talking about (my dad actually works for one).

That market in Florida is extremely competitive and also very lucrative. One of the partners at my dad's firm (in the Tampa area) graduated from a Tier 4 with mediocre grades, spent 2 years doing government work, and then opened up his own firm. He makes a lot of money now. I guess my point is that the types of people you will be representing in Tampa, FL won't necessarily care if you come from a Tier 1 or Tier 4 school. If anything, schools like UF and FSU are held in very high regard here, and most clients/employers would be just as inclined to hire you from these schools than from a much higher ranked school that they may not have heard much of. From what I know, UMiami places well in Miami, but there are also regional schools that you could probably get money from with the right LSAT score.

Just to give you an idea, this firm has hired lawyers from schools like Stetson and Barry... they don't care about your grades or school so much as your personality/ability to make money.

Hope this helps

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

warmweatherseeker wrote:I live in Florida and have a lot of experience with law firms like the ones you are talking about (my dad actually works for one).

That market in Florida is extremely competitive and also very lucrative. One of the partners at my dad's firm (in the Tampa area) graduated from a Tier 4 with mediocre grades, spent 2 years doing government work, and then opened up his own firm. He makes a lot of money now. I guess my point is that the types of people you will be representing in Tampa, FL won't necessarily care if you come from a Tier 1 or Tier 4 school. If anything, schools like UF and FSU are held in very high regard here, and most clients/employers would be just as inclined to hire you from these schools than from a much higher ranked school that they may not have heard much of. From what I know, UMiami places well in Miami, but there are also regional schools that you could probably get money from with the right LSAT score.

Just to give you an idea, this firm has hired lawyers from schools like Stetson and Barry... they don't care about your grades or school so much as your personality/ability to make money.

Hope this helps

So go with the least debt possible at a regional school?

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 pm

If you are really set on practicing in Florida, UF or FSU is the best bet. If you score 165+, you'd get money from FSU and probably UF as well. Even if you didn't, you can qualify for in-state tuition after 1L.

warmweatherseeker

Postby warmweatherseeker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

monarchylover wrote:
warmweatherseeker wrote:I live in Florida and have a lot of experience with law firms like the ones you are talking about (my dad actually works for one).

Hope this helps

So go with the least debt possible at a regional school?

I think you should aim for UF or FSU with some money. Going to either one of those schools will open up a ton of options and really give you the best chance at being hired by any Florida firm. If it comes down to sticker at UF or FSU versus full scholarship at a regional school, then that will be a tougher call. A 165+ will give you a very, very solid chance at money at either UF or FSU for sure.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 pm

"...preying for 170s...". Actually this may be more accurate than the more common "praying for an LSAT score in the 170s."

Personal injury lawyers just need bar membership, a phone & an ad (and an ability to get juries to like you, of course). An Atlanta attorney in a solo medical malpractice practice was & is bringing in over $2 million a year. He graduated from a tier 3 or tier 4 law school, if I recall correctly. He just added his first associate---his son.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 am

What you want to do is take a year off and try to get a job as a legal assistant or paralegal in the area. It's a small bar, and it's all about who you know for these kinds of jobs. Get to know some people. Then use the year to get in-state and go to FSU or UF. Stetson wouldn't be terrible if you can go on the cheap and a small firm you've gotten in touch will will want to take you on afterward.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 am

rad law wrote:What you want to do is take a year off and try to get a job as a legal assistant or paralegal in the area. It's a small bar, and it's all about who you know for these kinds of jobs. Get to know some people. Then use the year to get in-state and go to FSU or UF. Stetson wouldn't be terrible if you can go on the cheap and a small firm you've gotten in touch will will want to take you on afterward.

Working in the Florida market right now and the above is very credited.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”