Does this logic make sense?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iphone7

Does this logic make sense?

Postby iphone7 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:04 pm

So I just got a 169 on the LSAT and with my 3.87 I think that I have a pretty good shot at MVPB and a chance at CCN with an ED application. My question is, would it be smart for me to got to CCN? With the job market the way it is right now, would it be a good decision for me to slide into CCN with lower numbers than most of the class and therefore struggle to be top 25% of the class, or go to MVPB and have a better chance of being a top student, be on the law review, etc? Or does it not really matter what school I go to between these because everyone's competitive and I'll have the same chance/challenges either way? I tried to search for an answer to this but couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

cinephile

Re: Does this logic make sense?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

This doesn't really make sense. You can't guarantee or even expect to have a higher rank if you go to a lower ranked school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

The difference between these schools i/r/t student quality is minimal. Even if the difference were extreme it isn't necessarily that much easier to get good grades considering LSAT/GPA only account for about 20% of your 1L grades.

The general advice is to decide between schools as if you were going to end up at median everywhere.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

You'd be smarter to go with who gives you $$$

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:13 pm

cinephile wrote:This doesn't really make sense. You can't guarantee or even expect to have a higher rank if you go to a lower ranked school.

Yeah. It obviously happens, but not predictably enough to make such a decision worthwhile.

If everyone in a law school class finished exactly the same rank as their LSAT/GPA would suggest, then you could make such a decision. The imprecision of the LSAT as a predictive tool cuts entirely in favor of attending the better school.

The only thing that cuts in favor of attending the lower-ranked school is $$$.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:18 pm

also there are plenty of people in MVP with scores higher than or equivalent to yours.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. That is what I assumed but I wanted to make sure.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

sarahlawg wrote:You'd be smarter to go with who gives you $$$

TITCR

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Does a 169 get you into CCN anyways? I think this may be counting hatching chickens thing.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 pm

ahduth wrote:Does a 169 get you into CCN anyways? I think this may be counting hatching chickens thing.

It could, but I wouldn't count on getting in either...

I personally know someone who was a non URM with a 169 and 3.9+ GPA get into Columbia, but that is probably the exception...looking on LSN most of the non URM acceptances all have 170+ LSAT scores. There is one person on LSN with a 169 and 3.96 that got in.

Of course this is just Columbia. I didn't look at Chicago or New York on LSN but you can check LSN to see how likely it would be that you get in.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:51 pm

iphone7 wrote:So I just got a 169 on the LSAT and with my 3.87 I think that I have a pretty good shot at MVPB and a chance at CCN with an ED application. My question is, would it be smart for me to got to CCN? With the job market the way it is right now, would it be a good decision for me to slide into CCN with lower numbers than most of the class and therefore struggle to be top 25% of the class, or go to MVPB and have a better chance of being a top student, be on the law review, etc? Or does it not really matter what school I go to between these because everyone's competitive and I'll have the same chance/challenges either way? I tried to search for an answer to this but couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

a difference of several points on the LSAT may make a huge difference in tier/employment prospects, but may not actually represent the same difference in capacity to do well in LS exams.

if you go to a lower tier school w/ the hopes of having a better shot at the top, then you better be getting $$

The folks that get $$$ and still get in the top 10% are fucking robber barons, they are in a very enviable position. And, pretty much everyone that gets $$$ turned down a higher tier school. Course, the ironic thing is that they're peers subsidized their education w/ the end result being that the people that went to school for free end up getting the high paying jobs, while the ones that paid the most are left holding the bag. I wonder how many people are like that...

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Borhas wrote:
iphone7 wrote:So I just got a 169 on the LSAT and with my 3.87 I think that I have a pretty good shot at MVPB and a chance at CCN with an ED application. My question is, would it be smart for me to got to CCN? With the job market the way it is right now, would it be a good decision for me to slide into CCN with lower numbers than most of the class and therefore struggle to be top 25% of the class, or go to MVPB and have a better chance of being a top student, be on the law review, etc? Or does it not really matter what school I go to between these because everyone's competitive and I'll have the same chance/challenges either way? I tried to search for an answer to this but couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

a difference of several points on the LSAT may make a huge difference in tier/employment prospects, but may not actually represent the same difference in capacity to do well in LS exams.

if you go to a lower tier school w/ the hopes of having a better shot at the top, then you better be getting $$

The folks that get $$$ and still get in the top 10% are fucking robber barons, they are in a very enviable position. And, pretty much everyone that gets $$$ turned down a higher tier school. Course, the ironic thing is that they're peers subsidized their education w/ the end result being that the people that went to school for free end up getting the high paying jobs, while the ones that paid the most are left holding the bag. I wonder how many people are like that...

This. Someone with a 174 only got 4-5 more questions right and that could be due to misreading / analyzing 1 lg or rc question. In law school, it comes down to 6 exams that don't quite test the same things as the LSAT.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:08 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

This. Someone with a 174 only got 4-5 more questions right and that could be due to misreading / analyzing 1 lg or rc question. In law school, it comes down to 6 exams that don't quite test the same things as the LSAT.

My score sucked because I had to pee like a racehorse at the end of the logic games section.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”