(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sharklasers

Re: U of Akron, Cleveland State, OSU, Case

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:30 pm

I had similar scores. I think Akron is a good bet. Students seem to generally enjoy living in Akron, with the low cost-of-living, especially housing, being particularly friendly to poor law students. Though smaller than Ohio’s “big C’s,” Akron is a sizeable city (metro area population of roughly 600,000), offering all the shopping, museums, and other culture one would expect from a medium-sized city. Akron is also located under an hour from Cleveland, where students can enjoy certain attractions, such as professional sporting events, that Akron itself lacks – though the Akron high school basketball scene has certainly enjoyed its fair share of popularity!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Retake and go for OSU.

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 pm

sharklasers wrote:I had similar scores. I think Akron is a good bet. Students seem to generally enjoy living in Akron, with the low cost-of-living, especially housing, being particularly friendly to poor law students. Though smaller than Ohio’s “big C’s,” Akron is a sizeable city (metro area population of roughly 600,000), offering all the shopping, museums, and other culture one would expect from a medium-sized city. Akron is also located under an hour from Cleveland, where students can enjoy certain attractions, such as professional sporting events, that Akron itself lacks – though the Akron high school basketball scene has certainly enjoyed its fair share of popularity!

Another thing to mention - I am from NE Ohio, I know Akron and Cleveland well. Family and friends are in that area. Last year I spontaneously moved to Bay Area, CA to see if I enjoyed it more out here. I am happier - good weather, nice place to live - but I keep getting the impression that going to a school like Santa Clara would be a bad bet. I am kind of dreading going to Ohio and living in a place that is so much further behind the thriving metropolitan Bay. And the prospect of staying there permanently is something I really need to weigh.

But, we shall see. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll apply to most / all of them and weigh out what to do, depending on if I get any financial aid (is that possible with my numbers?).

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:39 pm

deebo12 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Retake and go for OSU.

Also, FYI - 3.34 GPA

Doesn't change my advice. If you want Ohio, you should try for OSU. Case at the very minimum. Don't go to Akron.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

deebo12 wrote:But, assuming I keep 157 - I am thinking about schools in Ohio - Akron, CSU, and perhaps Cincinnati as solid chances. OSU and Case as reach schools. According to their profiles, Akron, CSU and Cinci are solid schools, even though they aren't exactly high up in the rankings. Out of all of these, which would be a good choice?

If you are going to apply that criteria, then Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, Ave Maria, and many others are "solid schools."
OSU with substantial scholarship should your bare minimum, and for that you need to Retake. Otherwise, don't go to law school.

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 pm

scammedhard wrote:
deebo12 wrote:But, assuming I keep 157 - I am thinking about schools in Ohio - Akron, CSU, and perhaps Cincinnati as solid chances. OSU and Case as reach schools. According to their profiles, Akron, CSU and Cinci are solid schools, even though they aren't exactly high up in the rankings. Out of all of these, which would be a good choice?

If you are going to apply that criteria, then Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, Ave Maria, and many others are "solid schools."
OSU with substantial scholarship should your bare minimum, and for that you need to Retake. Otherwise, don't go to law school.

I'm kind of struggling to understand if it's as absolutely rigid as folks on this forum say - will I end up without work by default if I'm not in a rank 20-100 school, if I goto something below? I have looked at tls, I've read around, and I've looked at law schools' websites. None add up to any definitive answer, and that's frustrating.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

deebo12 wrote:
scammedhard wrote:

I'm kind of struggling to understand if it's as absolutely rigid as folks on this forum say - will I end up without work by default if I'm not in a rank 20-100 school, if I goto something below? I have looked at tls, I've read around, and I've looked at law schools' websites. None add up to any definitive answer, and that's frustrating.

If you don't go to a T1 school, there is a large chance you will be unemployed. If you go to a T3/T4 school, that chance is more than half, sometimes upwards of 70%. Don't go.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Akron and Cleveland State are terrible choices, you shouldn't be considering "safeties" for law school.

OSU, Case, and Cincinnati sound great. If you can't get into OSU now, and don't succeed with a retake, either Case of Cincy would provide you with decent options in their respective regions. Incidentally, I don't quite understand why people seem to think that Cincy is a tier below Case Western, they're ranked the same.

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I think OSU, Case and Univ. of Cincinnati are the 3 Ohio schools worth attending (Univ. of Cincy and OSU with in-state second and third year, Case only with $$). I would not put your chances at UC in the same likelihood as CSU and UA. Their admission standards are at least on par with Case.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm

cinephile wrote:Akron and Cleveland State are terrible choices, you shouldn't be considering "safeties" for law school.

OSU, Case, and Cincinnati sound great. If you can't get into OSU now, and don't succeed with a retake, either Case of Cincy would provide you with decent options in their respective regions. Incidentally, I don't quite understand why people seem to think that Cincy is a tier below Case Western, they're ranked the same.

He said he was from Northern Ohio...they are the same, they just have different regions.

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
cinephile wrote:Akron and Cleveland State are terrible choices, you shouldn't be considering "safeties" for law school.

He said he was from Northern Ohio...they are the same, they just have different regions.

:oops: RC fail

Also, to the post above, the 25th/75th for Cincy has increased slightly.
Last edited by cinephile on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm

OSU, Cincy and Case are really the only viable options in Ohio; the other six schools shouldn't even be considered.

With your GPA and LSAT you are out at all three. You have to retake and shoot for one of these, hopefully with some money.

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:07 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:OSU, Cincy and Case are really the only viable options in Ohio; the other six schools shouldn't even be considered.

With your GPA and LSAT you are out at all three. You have to retake and shoot for one of these, hopefully with some money.

Am I really out if I'm in the 25th percentile for Cinci? I may get a tad higher on the LSAT - but I do hope it isn't that bleak as far as chances go.

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 pm

FWIW, I had higher gpa (slightly) and higher lsat. Rejected from UC and admitted w/ $$ @ Case.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Unfortunately, looking at the past cycle, it appears you need at least a 160.
http://cincinnati.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Well then. Hopefully the October test shows a slight improvement.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

holy crap don't go to akron law

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:19 pm

I do feel that, looking at various firms in the Cleveland/Akron region, many are from CSU and U of Akron. How do you account for this? Isn't looking at their recent associate hires another way to gauge what local firms value / will hire?

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 pm

A person could go to Yale and come out unemployed. A person can go to Akron and come out employed and happy. It's all about your willingness to hustle and get out there and network.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 pm

sharklasers wrote:A person could go to Yale and come out unemployed. A person can go to Akron and come out employed and happy. It's all about your willingness to hustle and get out there and network.

LOL. I could win the lottery tomorrow.

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sharklasers wrote:A person could go to Yale and come out unemployed. A person can go to Akron and come out employed and happy. It's all about your willingness to hustle and get out there and network.

LOL. I could win the lottery tomorrow.

If you don't play, you don't win.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm

lol.............

I guess all the Akron grads I ran across while living in Ohio were non-hustlers who weren't getting out and networking then. Akron Law grads generally do all right in Akron and the surrounding area, but Akron is a complete shit hole. I grew up near there; it's not like I'm completely talking without firsthand experience.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”