--

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do I do?

Go attend Vanderbilt
5
15%
Only attend this year if get off T14 WL
5
15%
Reapply
23
70%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

--

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:21 pm

--
Last edited by thelawyler on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.

swimmer33
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby swimmer33 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:24 pm

have you thought about contacting vandy to negotiate for more money based on your new score?

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby Regionality » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

If you are waitlisted at T14's then the decision is obvious. send them your updated LSAT score and you will get in, and then you'll be able to work where you want.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

swimmer33 wrote:have you thought about contacting vandy to negotiate for more money based on your new score?


Excellent idea. I'll give it a shot but I heard they do not negotiate aid. Might as well try though.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 pm

First, tell Vandy about your new score and your intentions, and see if they can cough up any more cash for you. Do this now.

Are you on any waitlists?

Second, if you don't have anything else lined that's interesting for next year, you probably won't end up doing much interesting next year. You think the market's bad for top law school grads, try finding a job with a BA!

A wasted year of your life is nothing to be proud of, even if you could end up getting into a T10 (you probably still wouldn't get CCN next year). I'd bite the bullet and go to Vandy next year anyway. It's currently a little on the pricey side, but a year of wasted life would not be cool. This could also very much hurt your chances at OCI.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 pm

If you can't get a big chunk more $ from Vandy or off the waitlist at a T14, I would reapply. You want NYC (which Vandy is good at but not as good as T14's), you want biglaw (same reason as before), and the money from Vandy isn't that much cheaper than sticker.

Regionality wrote:If you are waitlisted at T14's then the decision is obvious. send them your updated LSAT score and you will get in, and then you'll be able to work where you want.

This is being overly optimistic. A lot of T14's are pretty close to finalizing their class and there is a high likelihood that OP won't get in this cycle even after updating.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 pm

duckmoney wrote:First, tell Vandy about your new score and your intentions, and see if they can cough up any more cash for you. Do this now.

Are you on any waitlists?

Second, if you don't have anything else lined that's interesting for next year, you probably won't end up doing much interesting next year. You think the market's bad for top law school grads, try finding a job with a BA!

A wasted year of your life is nothing to be proud of, even if you could end up getting into a T10 (you probably still wouldn't get CCN next year). I'd bite the bullet and go to Vandy next year anyway. It's currently a little on the pricey side, but a year of wasted life would not be cool. This could also very much hurt your chances at OCI.


Main waitlists I am looking at are Michigan and Cornell. Cornell is simply in a great location to target NYC and Michigan is just awesome for anywhere. I am concerned about what to do next year if I decide to reapply, but I think I should be able to find something interesting to some degree... maybe...

And I think bk is right in that getting off a T14 waitlist at this point is very very slim. Still worth a LOCI though.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby ahduth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:02 pm

thelawyler wrote:I am concerned about what to do next year if I decide to reapply, but I think I should be able to find something interesting to some degree... maybe...


This is basically it. The job market stinks donkey balls, but if you can/want to ride it out... that 173 will force a bunch of new schools to look at you. I'd personally take a shot at the T14 next year, but Vandy is nothing to spit at.

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby dangerdan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm basically in the same boat, $29,000 total at Vandy right now and got a 172 (2nd score, 169 first). I was 100% ready to go to Nashville because I thought I did worse (expected a 167).

How much should I expect from Vandy to go there? In other words, what's the going scholarship for a 172/3.3?

Also, I have stronger CA big law hopes than NY.

I was WL at UCLA

Edit: I was thinking about starting a non-profit in the year off if I reapply, anybody got any ideas?

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Difficult decision, right? What type of nonprofit you thinking of?

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby dangerdan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

thelawyler wrote:Difficult decision, right? What type of nonprofit you thinking of?


Honestly, I have almost no idea. Like I said, was set to go to Vanderbilt a few hours ago. 172 flipped me on my head.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby trudat15 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 pm

.
Last edited by trudat15 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 pm

trudat15 wrote:I would reapply if I were you. 21k is not that much money, and you should have a significantly better cycle next year with your 173 and an earlier app this time around.
FWIW, I'm almost a numbers twin, with two lsat scores, applied decently early (mid/late Oct), and had some success (though I ED'd somewhere, so most of my cycle is unknown).


That's encouraging. Yeah, I applied this past cycle with my 169 in mid-January... from my research it looks like an early application changes the ball game significantly. Do you mind sharing which range of schools you got into / what your cycle looked like?

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby trudat15 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 pm

thelawyler wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I would reapply if I were you. 21k is not that much money, and you should have a significantly better cycle next year with your 173 and an earlier app this time around.
FWIW, I'm almost a numbers twin, with two lsat scores, applied decently early (mid/late Oct), and had some success (though I ED'd somewhere, so most of my cycle is unknown).


That's encouraging. Yeah, I applied this past cycle with my 169 in mid-January... from my research it looks like an early application changes the ball game significantly. Do you mind sharing which range of schools you got into / what your cycle looked like?


PMd you

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

reapply next year, I'm sure cornell or Penn will take ya

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby whitman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Your big plan is to "start a non-profit", with no idea of what type of non-profit and seemingly no experience or specific area of expertise/interest? Just to pass the time until law school next year? OK.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby crit_racer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 am

it will take over a year just to register a non-profit. I'm sure you could get a decent T14 next year w/ an early app, but you may have to ED and probably won't get any scholly money. So, I guess decide if the wait is worth going to a better but still extremely expensive school.

sharklasers
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 am

I wish I had your opportunities. Vandy is a great school. Go there. The scholarship is just icing.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

I don't know why ppl are talking about non-profits because that wasn't me but somebody else who replied in this thread. haha.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 pm

sharklasers wrote:I wish I had your opportunities. Vandy is a great school. Go there. The scholarship is just icing.


The OP has a shiny new LSAT score which would up his scholly money at Vandy (and a ton of other places) if he reapplied. Wait a year. It goes without saying that a 173 will immensely improve your opportunities.

sharklasers
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
sharklasers wrote:I wish I had your opportunities. Vandy is a great school. Go there. The scholarship is just icing.


The OP has a shiny new LSAT score which would up his scholly money at Vandy (and a ton of other places) if he reapplied. Wait a year. It goes without saying that a 173 will immensely improve your opportunities.


In a year he'll be a year more dead than he is now. Why turn law school into a four year venture?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:35 pm

sharklasers wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
sharklasers wrote:I wish I had your opportunities. Vandy is a great school. Go there. The scholarship is just icing.


The OP has a shiny new LSAT score which would up his scholly money at Vandy (and a ton of other places) if he reapplied. Wait a year. It goes without saying that a 173 will immensely improve your opportunities.


In a year he'll be a year more dead than he is now. Why turn law school into a four year venture?


You trolling brah?

sharklasers
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
sharklasers wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
sharklasers wrote:I wish I had your opportunities. Vandy is a great school. Go there. The scholarship is just icing.


The OP has a shiny new LSAT score which would up his scholly money at Vandy (and a ton of other places) if he reapplied. Wait a year. It goes without saying that a 173 will immensely improve your opportunities.


In a year he'll be a year more dead than he is now. Why turn law school into a four year venture?


You trolling brah?


Often, but semi-serious here. How much extra money does he need to get to make burning a year of his life wise?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

sharklasers wrote:Often, but semi-serious here. How much extra money does he need to get to make burning a year of his life wise?


From Vandy? If they gave him an extra 15k+/year I'd say it is worth it. Assuming he stays afloat this year and isn't going negative in $ by taking a year off.

Otherwise, because of the bimodal salary distribution it's hard to talk in terms of pure $ when rating waiting a year versus getting into a school that places a chunk better.

sharklasers
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Vandy ($) or Reapply with new June score

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
sharklasers wrote:Often, but semi-serious here. How much extra money does he need to get to make burning a year of his life wise?


From Vandy? If they gave him an extra 15k+/year I'd say it is worth it. Assuming he stays afloat this year and isn't going negative in $ by taking a year off.

Otherwise, because of the bimodal salary distribution it's hard to talk in terms of pure $ when rating waiting a year versus getting into a school that places a chunk better.


So, first, you're saying he should wait a year for $45k over three years, not taking tuition hikes into account. That doesn't make sense, given what he'll make if he doesn't flame out and totally just fail overall, which he very well could, but we're assuming he won't for the sake of argument, and if he's going to fail (make < median) at Vandy he'll probably fail wherever he goes anyhow. In short, he would make or reasonably should make that extra $45k in the extra year of work he'd get by starting now, especially if you deduct the COL and tuition hikes he'll dodge by starting now.

And then, second, you're talking about the bimodal salary distribution and trying to speculate about how a higher LSAT might get him up in the rankings enough to land a biglaw job versus a shitty or medium law (aka "unicorn law") job. There's a slightly higher % chance of making the money from a higher school, but the number of contingencies make this seem like an unsound reason to me. Basically, he'd have to do so much better at the hypothetical new school than he would've at Vandy to make it worth delaying a year. And let's face it, it's not like he's getting into Yale next year.
Last edited by sharklasers on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest