Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke with $45k vs. Vandy with $50k

Duke
94
90%
Vanderbilt
10
10%
 
Total votes: 104

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Its not just because Im a "Carolina fan." Thanks, though. There are other considerations that I haven't gotten to in this thread. Close family ties to Vanderbilt and Nashville, interest in Nashville government, the potential to work part tme and cover most of my debt at Vanderbilt. Plus Duke will still cost about $14,000 more. Close research match wit a Vanderbilt professor and the ability to work with him.


I can sort of see your dilemma if you want Nashville government work. However, if you have ties to Nashville and want Nashville government, there is probably still an advantage to Duke. Being one of a handful of Duke students who are applying to Nashville government jobs as opposed to the legion of Vandy kids who are doing it would set you apart. Though there may be something worth saying about Vandy alums (who are obviously more plentiful in Nashville than Duke alums) giving you an edge.

I would say that the $14,000 is pretty minimal compared to the prestige difference and I'm not sure that the professor match is meaningful i/r/t getting you the job you want (it might, but without more information I'd lean towards no).

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:And I already turned down Penn, Northwestern, Cornell with money, Texas with money, Georgetown, and others, so this ain't the first time I will have made what is conventionally considered a dumbass decision.


This decision is yours alone. You know best what all of the relevant factors to consider are (aside from just placement numbers) and given what you mentioned above, I think Vanderbilt makes much more sense as a decision.

Most on TLS will still tell you Duke, but you need to go wherever you think is best.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:And I already turned down Penn, Northwestern, Cornell with money, Texas with money, Georgetown, and others, so this ain't the first time I will have made what is conventionally considered a dumbass decision.


Vandy is a solid school, in a place you want, with money

just go to Vandy, I don't think you'll regret it

Tarheel10
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 pm

How much better is Duke than Vanderbilt?

stylishlaw
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby stylishlaw » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Prestige is largely overrated. All that matters coming out of school is the ability to secure the job you want. When comparing two schools I think the smart thing to do is concentrate on differences in job placement and ignore any notions of prestige.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm

With money that close, you need to go where you fit and will be most comfortable. The people who are acting like you're committing career suicide by not attending Duke are full of crap. There may be differences in job prospects, but they're not close enough to compel a decision one way or another when the money's basically equal (or slightly better) at Vandy. Good luck in the fall from a current blue devil.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 pm

thickfreakness wrote:With money that close, you need to go where you fit and will be most comfortable. The people who are acting like you're committing career suicide by not attending Duke are full of crap. There may be differences in job prospects, but they're not close enough to compel a decision one way or another when the money's basically equal (or slightly better) at Vandy. Good luck in the fall from a current blue devil.


A Dukie not trolling for their school? This may be a first. I'm kidding of course, but it is good to have some perspective here.

As someone who intially voted for Duke because of its superior job placement, OP's subsequent posts have made me re-consider since it appears that pretty much every other factor suggests that OP would be happier/better off at Vandy.

I may be misreading OP's previous post but if OP could "work part time and cover most of my debt at Vanderbilt" (and I have no idea how this will happen) it would seem that actual CoA will be FAR more expensive at Duke. Btw, where is that 14k coming from? Vandy's scholly is 15k more and Duke is more expensive to attend.

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby drylo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 am

Tarheel10 wrote:Its not just because Im a "Carolina fan." Thanks, though. There are other considerations that I haven't gotten to in this thread. Close family ties to Vanderbilt and Nashville, interest in Nashville government, the potential to work part tme and cover most of my debt at Vanderbilt. Plus Duke will still cost about $14,000 more. Close research match wit a Vanderbilt professor and the ability to work with him.


Dude, just go to Vandy and don't look back. In real life, not everyone is as ridiculous as TLS people. I withdrew from Duke (one of only 6 schools I applied to) very early in my cycle because I frankly just decided that I liked Vandy way better and if it came down to it, I would pick any of the other schools on my list over Duke. (Not to hate on Duke, but just thought it was worth mentioning because it happens to be the same schools.)

bk1 wrote:I can sort of see your dilemma if you want Nashville government work. However, if you have ties to Nashville and want Nashville government, there is probably still an advantage to Duke. Being one of a handful of Duke students who are applying to Nashville government jobs as opposed to the legion of Vandy kids who are doing it would set you apart.


And where are you getting this fantastic information? I'm guessing from your rectum. You might think Duke is "more prestigious" than Vandy, but to the extent that anybody cares (which is probably very little), people in Nashville do not. Everybody who is anybody around here went to Vandy. Or at least if they didn't go to Vandy, they sure won't be making a big deal about how Duke is a better school if they want to be successful in Nashville politics, etc.

Tarheel10
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Vandy with $50k vs Duke with $45k

Postby Tarheel10 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:04 am

.

Tarheel10
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby Tarheel10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Narrowed it down to a deferred admission at either UVA with unknown money vs. Duke with $45,000. Thoughts?

Badgers2012
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby Badgers2012 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Narrowed it down to a deferred admission at either UVA with unknown money vs. Duke with $45,000. Thoughts?


haha. um, what? I just read through this entire thread and somehow now you're deciding between UVA, which was never mentioned as a choice, and Duke, the school that you said you didn't want to attend over Vandy? What happened to Vandy? They are just out of the equation now?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Narrowed it down to a deferred admission at either UVA with unknown money vs. Duke with $45,000. Thoughts?


They are peer schools. I would take the money for sure unless you think UVA will match or give you more. I can't think of a difference between the schools worth 45k. Is there a personal reason worth 45k to you? Combined with having to take a year off (unless that is a pro for you) I would take Duke. You could say I am in almost the exact same situation, 60k at duke and could ED and get into to UVA next year if I wanted. If I had 45k (or even equal cost) I would still go to duke.

Edit: and +1 to the above comment.

nezumi
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby nezumi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 pm

enjoy uva

Tarheel10
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby Tarheel10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Decided it was ridiculous to count on working elsewhere during law school, and that changed my decision.
Badgers2012 wrote:
Tarheel10 wrote:Narrowed it down to a deferred admission at either UVA with unknown money vs. Duke with $45,000. Thoughts?


haha. um, what? I just read through this entire thread and somehow now you're deciding between UVA, which was never mentioned as a choice, and Duke, the school that you said you didn't want to attend over Vandy? What happened to Vandy? They are just out of the equation now?

Badgers2012
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby Badgers2012 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Decided it was ridiculous to count on working elsewhere during law school, and that changed my decision.
Badgers2012 wrote:
Tarheel10 wrote:Narrowed it down to a deferred admission at either UVA with unknown money vs. Duke with $45,000. Thoughts?


haha. um, what? I just read through this entire thread and somehow now you're deciding between UVA, which was never mentioned as a choice, and Duke, the school that you said you didn't want to attend over Vandy? What happened to Vandy? They are just out of the equation now?


I would say Duke, because I believe UVA would need to get pretty close to matching to make it the right choice, assuming you prefer them because UVA/Duke are pretty similar in a lot of ways. Also taking into account the year off inbetween, unless it is needed for making money

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke with $45k vs. UVA (unknown $)

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm

I think this depends on what you would do with your year off? Do you have a job or would you just do nothing for a year?

Personally, I prefer UVA, but I recognize that job prospects are similar and UVA is unlikely to offer you more aid than Duke already is (although I wonder if you can ask them if they would be willing to at least match if you defer? Would be curious since I've never heard of it being done).

If you have a job lined up and can make some $ during the year off, then I can see an argument for UVA. Otherwise, I think Duke is probably TCR here.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests