UT v Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT v Duke

UT
60%
Duke
40%

Total votes: 30

hoboJohn

UT v Duke

Postby hoboJohn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 pm

UT costing 35K per year
or
Duke costing 60K per year

If i go to ut i will probably stay in texas and i have alot of friends and family pulling for me to pick this school. I really like the downtown scene and the COL in texas compared to nyc and dc has me pretty worried

For duke what i like is that they give me better job prospects coming out since im thinking about federal work or public interest and i like the smaller class sizes and the better school and their career center seems really good.

I've been researching alot of law school but i'd like to hear some input from u guys. I'm pretty torn right now on what to pick so any information is helpful. Thanks guys!

Modus Ponens

Re: UT v Duke

Postby Modus Ponens » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:49 pm

hoboJohn wrote:For duke what i like is that they give me better job prospects coming out since im thinking about federal work or public interest and i like the smaller class sizes and the better school and their career center seems really good.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 pm

If you want to work in Texas, then UT. If not, it becomes more difficult.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Can't really go wrong either way. Texas you have a greater chance of striking than at Duke, although if you do make it you'll be in the same place and have less debt.

Is it worth it to you to pay the $25k insurance each year for the better job prospects at Duke? If so, go there. If not, go to TX.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:23 pm

If you want/would be happy living and working in Texas, then UT by a mile.

If not, then Duke.

swinger

Postby swinger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm

TheFactor wrote:If you want/would be happy living and working in Texas, then UT by a mile.

If not, then Duke.

Duke places better overall, but I think UT beats it out for placement in Texas. (could be wrong, pretty sure I remember this from a similar decision I had to make).

If you know you want Texas, go UT without a second thought. You will be probably be a stronger candidate in Texas from UT.

If you think you might want another market, go Duke. You will be a much stronger candidate outside of Texas from Duke.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

• If you want to work in Texas, go to UT.
  • If you want to work outside of Texas, then it depends on what you value more.
    • If $75,000 more valuable to you than working outside of Texas, go to UT.
    • If working outside of Texas is more valuable to you than $75,000, go to Duke.

The rational financial decision is UT. However where you want to live isn't really rational so if you really want to work outside of Texas it makes no sense to go to UT.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Do you have ties to TX?

If so, that might be a reason to go to Duke. TX firms will usually hire a Duke grad with ties over a UT grad, ties or not, because they are prestige whores like every other firm in the country.

If you don't have ties, and go to Duke, TX will be a hard market to crack, although you'll have other opportunities elsewhere (NYC, DC, Charlotte, ATL)

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:07 pm

hoboJohn wrote:UT costing 35K per year
or

If i go to ut i will probably stay in texas and i have alot of friends and family pulling for me to pick this school. I really like the downtown scene and the COL in texas compared to nyc and dc has me pretty worried

For duke what i like is that they give me better job prospects coming out since im thinking about federal work or public interest and i like the smaller class sizes and the better school and their career center seems really good.

I've been researching alot of law school but i'd like to hear some input from u guys. I'm pretty torn right now on what to pick so any information is helpful. Thanks guys!

If you want to go the public interest route, Duke's LRAP is better:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... e-law.html
http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... s-law.html

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:45 pm

quakeroats wrote:
hoboJohn wrote:UT costing 35K per year
or

If you want to go the public interest route, Duke's LRAP is better:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... e-law.html
http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... s-law.html

Wow... Texas's LRAP is really bad for how highly ranked it is

Return to “Choosing a Law School”