UC Davis vs WUSTL for socal.... advice? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Davis vs WUSTL

WUSTL $12,000
13%
UC Davis $10,000
87%

Total votes: 23

samfii

Bronze

UC Davis vs WUSTL for socal.... advice?

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 pm

So as you can probably tell by my past posts, i'm a socal native looking to practice in southern California, particularly Los Angeles out of law school. I've got $12k at WUSTL and $10k at Davis (in-state tuition). I'm not sure if this is a no-brainer or not, but I'm really torn over which is best, and TLS has always been amazing to me so I figure I better turn to the experts yet again :) I need to decide by the end of the weekend, so any input or advice/opinions is much appreciated! Thanks!!

crit_racer

Silver

Re: UC Davis vs WUSTL for socal.... advice?

Post by crit_racer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Definitely Davis.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Stay in LA

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm assuming that is what everyone will say... I'm just hesitant because I already invested a few grand in wustl (seat deposit, lease deposit, flights out there, etc) and I would have to start over again at Davis, so I just want to make sure this mess I'm about to get into is worth it...

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Dante- I had no attractive options in LA :-/ otherwise I would have

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:26 pm

inb4 Dante trolls Loyola hard.

The several grand you have spent on WUSTL is nothing compared to how much you are going to spend by the time this whole thing is over. You absolutely need to go to Davis if you want any shot at LA. Davis will do much better anywhere in Cali than WUSTL will. Cut your losses w/ WUSTL and pony up for Davis.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Yep, having a slightly more prestigious degree is more important than developing your local contacts. No argument here.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:45 pm

crit_racer- thanks for the input, it is very much appreciated :) i think you're right, I guess I just need to hear it from other people besides myself, since no one in my immediate contact knows much about this process

defrutamadre

New

Post by defrutamadre » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Samfil, when I was in LA as an undergrad I met a lot of recent law grads while volunteering at various legal aid type organizations. a handful of them were from washu, had graduated above median (two in the top quarter), and were struggling to get a job in LA. They had ties to the socal area (family, grew up there, went to college there) but it seemed like being at washu really hurt their chances at networking in the right circles. I don't have any experience with Davis grads and their job prospects in socal, but like crit_racer said: going from washu to socal seems to be a difficult transition to make without the right contacts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Do you absolutely have to be in LA? The market is so bad right now. If I were you, I'd go to WUSTL and start targeting better markets.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yep, having a slightly more prestigious degree is more important than developing your local contacts. No argument here.
lol at Davis being a "slightly more prestigious degree" than Loyola.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Davis and it's not even close.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 pm

crit_racer wrote:The several grand you have spent on WUSTL is nothing compared to how much you are going to spend by the time this whole thing is over.
Stole the words at of my mouth. See you this fall, sam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:17 pm

I had my sights set on WUSTL with 20k and dropped down the same $$ that you were talking about, but when Fordham came along, I had to take it. Even though it might be irrational, you can't change where you want to live. I'll be paying sticker (but living at home) so Fordham will only cost about 5k more/year (which sounds like a similar change in debt situation as you)

So yea, definitely Davis.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:29 pm

crit_racer wrote:Definitely Davis.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Yep, having a slightly more prestigious degree is more important than developing your local contacts. No argument here.
lol at Davis being a "slightly more prestigious degree" than Loyola.
OK. So what is a school in California that is "slightly more prestigious" than Loyola? Or "slightly less un-prestigious," if you prefer? Hastings is 10 spots higher than Loyola in the rankings. Hastings is also the next highest ranked California school. This is out of ~200 ABA accredited schools (a 5 percent difference). Is Davis that much better than Hastings? Please clarify.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:26 pm

thank you so much to everyone that replied, I feel a little less crazy about this decision now. For the two people that voted wash u, what was your reasoning? I'm assuming ndirish2010 was one of them, and I understand his/her reasoning, but why else?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30 pm

samfii wrote:thank you so much to everyone that replied, I feel a little less crazy about this decision now. For the two people that voted wash u, what was your reasoning? I'm assuming ndirish2010 was one of them, and I understand his/her reasoning, but why else?
WUSTL is higher ranked! Go to the highest ranked school you can get into, regardless of the consequences!

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:
samfii wrote:thank you so much to everyone that replied, I feel a little less crazy about this decision now. For the two people that voted wash u, what was your reasoning? I'm assuming ndirish2010 was one of them, and I understand his/her reasoning, but why else?
WUSTL is higher ranked! Go to the highest ranked school you can get into, regardless of the consequences!
are you seriously sitting in this thread with the sole purpose of being sarcastic and unhelpful? do you mind not derailing my thread? Believe it or not, I'm actually looking for helpful advice, thanks.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Davis. Can't overstate the impact of being in the area with two schools such as these.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm

samfii wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
are you seriously sitting in this thread with the sole purpose of being sarcastic and unhelpful? do you mind not derailing my thread? Believe it or not, I'm actually looking for helpful advice, thanks.
Yes, and my *helpful* advice is that in the real world, most people do not get big law jobs. Once you are out of the running for big law, who you know is much more important than the name on your degree. That's not what you want to hear, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:15 am

See you at King Hall next year.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:26 am

Davis. There is no reason to go to WUSTL in this situation considering that you want to end up in CA.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 am

Thanks guys :) I deposited today :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”