What is the most (lay) prestigious school in your area? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imbored25

Bronze

Re: What is the most (lay) prestigious school in your area?

Post by imbored25 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Harvard>Princeton>Yale>Texas>Rice>Texas A&M>Tulane

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:20 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:Julliard > Harvard/Yale > Fordham > Columbia > NYU > everyone else
Let me guess. You live in / grew up in NYC?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:Julliard > Harvard/Yale > Fordham > Columbia > NYU > everyone else
Let me guess. You live in / grew up in NYC?
I live a block from Lincoln Center/Juilliard/Fordham Law.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I'd say Berkeley, then Harvard. Honestly not a lot of laypeople in the Bay Area know Stanford has a law school.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Hannibal wrote:I'd say Berkeley, then Harvard. Honestly not a lot of laypeople in the Bay Area know Stanford has a law school.
That is blatantly false and idiotic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 pm

chimp wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I'd say Berkeley, then Harvard. Honestly not a lot of laypeople in the Bay Area know Stanford has a law school.
I live in the Bay Area bro. People who don't deal with law-related things know Berkeley exists, but think Stanford is mostly about their med school.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Hannibal wrote:
chimp wrote:
I live in the Bay Area bro. People who don't deal with law-related things know Berkeley exists, but think Stanford is mostly about their med school.
I live there too, bro, and what you said is just not true in my experience.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:53 pm

chimp wrote:

Prior to starting to research law school I didn't even know Stanford had a law school, and was surprised to find out that it was one of the very best (I'm not from CA). I don't know why it surprised me, since Stanford is one of the very best schools in general, but maybe because of the law school's small size I hadn't heard anything about it really. Then again I would say the same ignorance applied to many, most, or even all other law schools and their comparative strength before I really started looking into it.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
chimp wrote:

Prior to starting to research law school I didn't even know Stanford had a law school, and was surprised to find out that it was one of the very best (I'm not from CA). I don't know why it surprised me, since Stanford is one of the very best schools in general, but maybe because of the law school's small size I hadn't heard anything about it really. Then again I would say the same ignorance applied to many, most, or even all other law schools and their comparative strength before I really started looking into it.
I could definitely see that since you're not from CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:56 pm

chimp wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
chimp wrote:
I live there too, bro, and what you said is just not true in my experience.
*Throws down the gauntlet*

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Hannibal wrote:*Throws down the gauntlet*
:lol: Out of curiosity, where in the bay do you live? Because here in Santa Clara county I would say that the vast majority of people know that Stanford has a law school.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:01 pm

chimp wrote:
Hannibal wrote:*Throws down the gauntlet*
:lol: Out of curiosity, where in the bay do you live? Because here in Santa Clara county I would say that the vast majority of people know that Stanford has a law school.
The people I'm talking about, with the exception of one, were in the Diablo Valley and Richmond areas. The exception was from San Rafael-ish.

mooseman2216

New

Post by mooseman2216 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Would like to read impressions from anyone familiar with the Dallas, Texas area regarding the perception of SMU versus UTexas. Thanks !
UT might as well be Harvard. SMU seems to be held in some esteem though, along with Baylor. And specifically in Dallas (i live in Dallas) Texas Wesleyan strangely seems to hold prestige. I listened to 3 or 4 guys talk about how they were gonna go to TWU at the LSAT. and then one guy said to the other that the writing section was the most important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Duke(not to many practice here)> Wake Forest ("") > UNC (most "big time" NC lawyers) >>>>>>> Campbell(most DUI and personal injury) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elon NCCU Charlotte

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Stanford=Harvard>Columbia> UCLA=USC> Loyola>Pepperdine>Southwestern>>>>>>>Rest of SoCal T3&4s.
This seems to be spot-on for LA.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:31 pm

chimp wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Stanford=Harvard>Columbia> UCLA=USC> Loyola>Pepperdine>Southwestern>>>>>>>Rest of SoCal T3&4s.
I hope both of you mean only for law schools. Otherwise those of us from Cal Tech, Pomona, & Claremont McKenna scoff at your ranks. More generally though I think that lay prestige attaches to undergrads more so than grad schools, because as PP pointed out, med school and law school are just generally considered prestigious. So I'm surprised to see nobody mentioning the elite small schools among their lay ranks. I'd be skeptical, for instance, that a Massachusetts lay person wouldn't hold Williams with as high a regard as any of the Ivys outside Harvard.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:33 pm

HYS > LSE > John Marshall School of Law > Emory > University of Suzhou > Mercer

But seriously, for ATL, ROUGHLY:

H/Y > UVA > Duke/Vandy/Texas > UGA/Emory > Alabama/W&L/Wake/GSU > ... > Mercer >== John Marshall

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
chimp wrote:
I hope both of you mean only for law schools. Otherwise those of us from Cal Tech, Pomona, & Claremont McKenna scoff at your ranks. More generally though I think that lay prestige attaches to undergrads more so than grad schools, because as PP pointed out, med school and law school are just generally considered prestigious. So I'm surprised to see nobody mentioning the elite small schools among their lay ranks. I'd be skeptical, for instance, that a Massachusetts lay person wouldn't hold Williams with as high a regard as any of the Ivys outside Harvard.
I assumed law schools only since this is a law school website and all.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:47 pm

chimp wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
chimp wrote:
I assumed law schools only since this is a law school website and all.
...Did you read the thread? I'll assume not because since this thread references UGs frequently and all:
imbored25 wrote:Harvard>Princeton>Yale>Texas>Rice>Texas A&M>Tulane
>Tulane[/quote]
TheFactor wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:TheFactor: Are you referring to law schools or undergraduate schools ?
I was referring to undergrad schools, but lay law school prestige probably follows roughly the same progression (excluding UNC). Most, if not all, lay people in NC would tell you, for example, that Duke Law >>> NYU/Michigan.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:10 am

chimp wrote:
I think the UCLA=USC is slightly contingent on whether the person is a college football fan. In my experience, USC football fans think that AP polls determine the school's prestige.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 am

Horchata wrote:In SoCal (San Diego) Harvard/Stanford>USC/UCLA/Berkeley/Georgetown>Rest of T-14>USD/Loyola/Pepperdine

This list seems a bit weird, but it seems to me this is the overall lay view of law schools in this region.

This is even kind of funny: I was talking to my parents about which law schools and I said, "And I'm not even going to consider applying to Yale." They're like, "Why would you apply there?" (as if it's not that good of a school haha).
Georgetown has a serious rep out here and I really can't figure out why. 80's basketball or something?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:40 am

Ikki wrote:
FlanAl wrote:In San Diego people think that USD and Cal Western are like top 20 schools.
B.S. I don't know anyone that thinks USD and Cal Western are prestigious.
wait are you from san diego?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 am

I'm from Connecticut, so Yale. Also Harvard.

I was told I was crazy to turn down Georgetown for Michigan. I think public schools in general are underrated just by virtue of being public (we certainly don't have the local state school love people in other states have - people think UConn/Quinnipiac are fine, maybe, but not great or anything (yes, I know Quinnipiac is private, but it's the only other law school in CT so I figured I'd mention it. I honestly have no idea which of the two is considered "better")).

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:51 am

Grew up in New England
Harvard=Yale>>>>>>>>>Columbia>Penn=Georgetown. Never heard of UChi, would never have guessed that Stanford/NYU had a good law school. Publics didn't register although probably would have believed that UVA and Mich were good.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 am

Around here it's Georgetown, among the less informed. I told some people I was going to Penn. 1st reaction, Penn State, that's a good scool but it's not Georgetown.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”