Temple/Rutgers Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WilliamMary123

Temple/Rutgers Camden

Postby WilliamMary123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:45 pm

How do you all feel about the prospects of getting a job out of Rutgers-Camden, Temple, or Drexel?

Practicing in Philly would be fine with me...

ndirish2010

Re: Temple/Rutgers Camden

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Temple- decent
R-C- fair/poor
Drexel- poor/very poor

D1989

Postby D1989 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Temple- decent
R-C- fair/poor
Drexel- poor/very poor

Are the Drexel prospects poor simply because it is new and therefore does not have a solid alumni network established? If so, that is likely going to be my primary reservation about applying there, since it seems like a nice school otherwise.

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 am

D1989 wrote:
R-C- fair/poor
Drexel- poor/very poor

Are the Drexel prospects poor simply because it is new and therefore does not have a solid alumni network established? If so, that is likely going to be my primary reservation about applying there, since it seems like a nice school otherwise.

I think that about sums it up. I know T14 Paradise made a post about Drexel. Check it out if you want.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 am

R-C- fair/poor
Drexel- poor/very poor

There is very little difference between Temple/R-C. Both would fall into the fair/poor category (depending on where you end up ranking in your class). Agreed with Drexel.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 am

Temple seems to place about as well as a school can place in Philadelphia. Outside of the city, as you expand the job search, prospects seem to dip rather quickly. If prospects are good in Philadelphia, then prospects are good for Temple students. The inverse is also true, of course.

The market has been really bad the last few years, but there are a few indicators that things will be slightly better in the near term. Overall, the poster who remarked "decent" seems to be about right. At least Temple is cheap; if you can go at an instate price, and are committed to working in Philly, I think its a solid choice.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

D1989 wrote:
R-C- fair/poor
Drexel- poor/very poor

You can still apply for potential scholarship leverage.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Justathought wrote:Temple seems to place about as well as a school can place in Philadelphia. Outside of the city, as you expand the job search, prospects seem to dip rather quickly. If prospects are good in Philadelphia, then prospects are good for Temple students. The inverse is also true, of course.

The market has been really bad the last few years, but there are a few indicators that things will be slightly better in the near term. Overall, the poster who remarked "decent" seems to be about right. At least Temple is cheap; if you can go at an instate price, and are committed to working in Philly, I think its a solid choice.

Temple is rarely criticized on TLS, probably because the tuition is dirt-cheap for in-state residents. But OP asked only about job prospects. Just like at any T2, there are plenty of recent Temple Law grads working as bartenders, in doc review, unemployed, at $35k-$45k small firm jobs, and working government jobs for free trying to get their foot in the door somewhere. This includes people with editorial positions on law review, etc. They just have less debt than people at the other T2s. I don't think it's substantiated to call Temple "decent" and R-C "fair/poor".

WilliamMary123

Postby WilliamMary123 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm currently working as a paralegal for a big firm in the city, at about $50k/year.

Would you say given the risk/reward, its prob better to stick with the job and go PT?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Justathought wrote:Temple seems to place about as well as a school can place in Philadelphia. Outside of the city, as you expand the job search, prospects seem to dip rather quickly. If prospects are good in Philadelphia, then prospects are good for Temple students. The inverse is also true, of course.

Temple is rarely criticized on TLS, probably because the tuition is dirt-cheap for in-state residents. But OP asked only about job prospects. Just like at any T2, there are plenty of recent Temple Law grads working as bartenders, in doc review, unemployed, at $35k-$45k small firm jobs, and working government jobs for free trying to get their foot in the door somewhere. This includes people with editorial positions on law review, etc. They just have less debt than people at the other T2s. I don't think it's substantiated to call Temple "decent" and R-C "fair/poor".

Temple has a definite edge over Rutgers-Camden given the extensiveness of its alumni network, but not enough to justify going to one over the other at a significantly higher cost (IE: Rutgers-Camden in-state > Temple out-of-state).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”