USC or UVA for LA biglaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Puttanesca

USC or UVA for LA biglaw?

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 am

edit: Thanks to all those who contributed to my thread. I ended up going with UVA.
Last edited by Puttanesca on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

bk1

Re: USC or UVA at equal cost for LA biglaw?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 am

It's hard to get a feel for whether there is an advantage to either for LA biglaw. This has been debated quite a few times and there is never really a definitive answer. Some will say that UVa's name and the fact that you aren't competing with as many people for LA will give you an advantage, some will say that since USC is one of the two big dogs in town that it is basically equal to a lower T14.

My opinion is that I doubt either is going to give you a significant edge in getting LA biglaw. Because of that, I think you should pick based on what you prefer in the event that you don't get LA biglaw (which is very tough to get from either of them since CA's economy has tanked so hard). So I would look at it like this:

LA biglaw > LA smalllaw > NYC biglaw - Go to USC
LA biglaw > NYC biglaw > LA smallaw - Go to UVa

USC will make it far easier to get any law job in LA. Conversely, UVa will have a far easier time at getting NYC biglaw. If getting any sort of biglaw is more important to than location then you should pick UVa. If having your job in LA is more important to you than biglaw then you should pick USC.
Last edited by bk1 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:49 am

UVA does not have the same rep on the west coast that it has on the east coast. I think either will be a good choice but if you are set on LA Big Law then probably go to USC.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks, bk1 and shoeshine. I am not dead set on LA big law, but LA big law is definitely my first choice. I would be open to big law in other cities before shitlaw or no job in LA, but definitely not NYC big law. I don't want to end up in NYC; I didn't even apply to any schools in NYC because I knew that I would not want to live there. If I want to go the clerkship route and then LA big law, would USC or UVA be the better option?
Last edited by Puttanesca on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

treysongz45

Postby treysongz45 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:09 am

just do usc bro

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:12 am

Puttanesca wrote:Thanks, bk1 and shoeshine. I am not dead set on LA big law, but LA big law is definitely my first choice. I would be open to big law in other cities before shitlaw or no job in LA, but definitely not NYC big law. I don't want to end up in NYC; I didn't even apply to any schools in NYC because I knew that I would not want to live there. If I want to go the clerkship route and then LA big law, would USC or UVA be the better option?

At either of these schools clerkships will be incredibly hard to come by (just like pretty much any school). Neither is going to give you a significant advantage for them.

Since you don't want NYC biglaw, I would definitely take USC. NYC biglaw is where most of UVa (and the rest of the T14) end up going because that is where the most biglaw jobs are.

treysongz45

Postby treysongz45 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 am

bk1 wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Thanks, bk1 and shoeshine. I am not dead set on LA big law, but LA big law is definitely my first choice. I would be open to big law in other cities before shitlaw or no job in LA, but definitely not NYC big law. I don't want to end up in NYC; I didn't even apply to any schools in NYC because I knew that I would not want to live there. If I want to go the clerkship route and then LA big law, would USC or UVA be the better option?

At either of these schools clerkships will be incredibly hard to come by (just like pretty much any school). Neither is going to give you a significant advantage for them.

Since you don't want NYC biglaw, I would definitely take USC. NYC biglaw is where most of UVa (and the rest of the T14) end up going because that is where the most biglaw jobs are.

Well if we are talking clerkships----you should go to UVA hands down. UVA is by far the better choice.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 am

treysongz45 wrote:Well if we are talking clerkships----you should go to UVA hands down. UVA is by far the better choice.

And UVA for clerkships in LA too? Or just UVA for clerkships in general?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:26 am

treysongz45 wrote:Well if we are talking clerkships----you should go to UVA hands down. UVA is by far the better choice.

It makes no sense to recommend UVa. Yes UVa might have double the chances, but you're still comparing a roughly 5% at USC versus a 10% chance at UVa and that is so slim as to make it absurd to make a decision based on that.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 am

USC
bk1 wrote:Since you don't want NYC biglaw, I would definitely take USC. NYC biglaw is where most of UVa (and the rest of the T14) end up going because that is where the most biglaw jobs are.

Eh, I would think UVA is going to have a good shot at other East Coast biglaw markets too. I think it really is just going to depend on how much you want SoCal biglaw...I would bet that USC students have an edge over comparably-ranked students from UVA in that market.

treysongz45

Postby treysongz45 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 am

bk1 wrote:

It makes no sense to recommend UVa. Yes UVa might have double the chances, but you're still comparing a roughly 5% at USC versus a 10% chance at UVa and that is so slim as to make it absurd to make a decision based on that.

bro. you aren't making sense. like at all

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 am

Arelikefoxes wrote:Eh, I would think UVA is going to have a good shot at other East Coast biglaw markets too. I think it really is just going to depend on how much you want SoCal biglaw...I would bet that USC students have an edge over comparably-ranked students from UVA in that market.

None of those other biglaw markets are going to be any easier than LA for OP to get even from UVa. Once you take NYC biglaw out of the picture, it becomes quite hard to recommend a T14 over a top regional school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 am

treysongz45 wrote:bro. you aren't making sense. like at all

Let me put it in small words for you: don't pick a school based on something that has a 90% chance of not happening.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 am

I voted for UVa.. because I think you'll enjoy studying there more. For prospects it is probably a wash

treysongz45

Postby treysongz45 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:47 am

bk1 wrote:
treysongz45 wrote:bro. you aren't making sense. like at all

Let me put it in small words for you: don't pick a school based on something that has a 90% chance of not happening.

hey man you're post implied that there was an insignificant difference for clerkships opportunities between UVA and USC which is false. Do some research bro. You're claims are ridiculous

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 am

I'm from CA and I can attest to the fact that UVa's lay prestige is minimal here (no one knows about the school) BUT the law community has a clear recognition of UVa Law's strengths. Still, there aren't very many CA firms that do OCI recruiting at UVa, so your chances of LA biglaw are not great from that school. Hence, if the only factor were LA biglaw, you should probably go with USC for its (not-very-good ITE...) LA recruiting, as well as networking opportunities.

That said, UVa's clerkship opportunities are consistently noticeably better than USC's, btw, so if that's a factor, you should take note of this.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:55 am

glewz wrote:I'm from CA and I can attest to the fact that UVa's lay prestige is minimal here (no one knows about the school) BUT the law community has a clear recognition of UVa Law's strengths. Still, there aren't very many CA firms that do OCI recruiting at UVa, so your chances of LA biglaw are not great from that school. Hence, if the only factor were LA biglaw, you should probably go with USC for its (not-very-good ITE...) LA recruiting, as well as networking opportunities.

That said, UVa's clerkship opportunities are consistently noticeably better than USC's, btw, so if that's a factor, you should take note of this.

I'd like to also stress, a bit more, the importance and convenience of LA networking for biglaw.

treysongz45

Postby treysongz45 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 am

glewz wrote:
glewz wrote:I'm from CA and I can attest to the fact that UVa's lay prestige is minimal here (no one knows about the school) BUT the law community has a clear recognition of UVa Law's strengths. Still, there aren't very many CA firms that do OCI recruiting at UVa, so your chances of LA biglaw are not great from that school. Hence, if the only factor were LA biglaw, you should probably go with USC for its (not-very-good ITE...) LA recruiting, as well as networking opportunities.

I'd like to also stress, a bit more, the importance and convenience of LA networking for biglaw.

yea man i was only referring to clerkship opportunities. which are so obviously in UVA's favor.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 am

do what you want but for people telling you that UVa is unkown in california are dumb

Shitlaw lawyers dont know uva in cali, biglaw do.

I'm from california too...and if you want a clerkship or anything close dont go to usc....they dont place well.

ucla and uva is a bit harder because ucla places well in the 9th circ. but uva also places there.

go where you are comfortable spending three years....plus you already have the usc alumni so coming to uva wont be a disadvantage in that regard.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:02 am

treysongz45 wrote:yea man i was only referring to clerkship opportunities. which are so obviously in UVA's favor.

And yet over 80% of the time OP won't be getting a clerkship from UVa.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:03 am

glewz wrote:

I agree with this----
but I would libe to stress diversity.

fighting with 30 kids to come back to cali---or fighting with 600 to stay (usc and ucla) its a wash it equals out

disclaimer: I chose UVA over UCLA so I am biased

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:04 am

bk1 wrote:
treysongz45 wrote:yea man i was only referring to clerkship opportunities. which are so obviously in UVA's favor.

And yet over 80% of the time OP won't be getting a clerkship from UVa.

better than over 96%

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:05 am

crossingforHYS wrote:I'm from california too...and if you want a clerkship or anything close dont go to usc....they dont place well.

ucla and uva is a bit harder because ucla places well in the 9th circ. but uva also places there.

What kind of crack are you smoking i/r/t the difference between UCLA and USC?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513
Last edited by bk1 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:07 am

crossingforHYS wrote:better than over 96%

Yes, the fact that only about 5-6% of USC's class gets clerkships is lower than the 10-12% that get it at UVa, that is not in dispute.

The point is that about 9 times out of 10, OP isn't going to get a clerkship even from UVa so that is a poor metric upon which to make a decision when there are other more prevalent stats upon which to make this decision (like general placement in LA).

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am

bk1 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:I'm from california too...and if you want a clerkship or anything close dont go to usc....they dont place well.

What kind of crack are you smoking i/r/t to the difference between UCLA and USC?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

for the 9th circuit 09-10 year UCLA placed 8, UVa placed 2 and usc placed one

last year usc and ucla were comparable

--LinkRemoved--

that is what I meant by the usc and ucla difference, I wasnt accounting for all clerkships.

but for all usc is 4 percent and ucla is 8 percent

http://lawweb.usc.edu/why/facts/
http://www.law.ucla.edu/career-services ... stics.aspx

Return to “Choosing a Law School”