Davis or Irvine? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
greg737

New

Davis or Irvine?

Post by greg737 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am

So I was all set on going to Irvine, but then I just got taken off the waitlist at Davis and was accepted there.

What do I do know? Do I go with the up-and-coming school with no alumni and take the risk? Or do I go with the forme up-and-coming school with a ranking that, most here say will probably take some sort of dip since it shot up so fast.

I have a 40percent scholarship at Irvine, but a 13K grant at Davis, so Davis would only be a bit more expensive. I was always kind of worried about Irvine b/c it is the new school and Davis is much more established, but it seems like Irvine is picking up steam and their first 2 classes have all found pretty good summer work.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Davis or Irvine?

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am

UCI. I think it will turn out to be a better school and IIRC Davis is declining a bit

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 am

Where do you want to work? NorCal or SoCal?

I'd go with Davis, because it's more established than UCI and you won't have to attend while the school is working out the kinks in their program. Being a guinea pig sucks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 am

Does UC-Davis have a new facility ?

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:46 pm

asians or white people?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:UCI. I think it will turn out to be a better school...
+1. This is one of the main reasons I turned down UCD to attend UCI.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:UCI. I think it will turn out to be a better school and IIRC Davis is declining a bit
Will in turn out to be a better school years down the road? Likely. How is that relevant to his decision today though? EstboundNDwn's question is TCR.

Ocean64

Bronze

Post by Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

imbored25 wrote:asians or white people?

this.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
imbored25 wrote:asians or white people?

this.

Me like asians.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:UCI. I think it will turn out to be a better school and IIRC Davis is declining a bit
Will in turn out to be a better school years down the road? Likely. How is that relevant to his decision today though? EstboundNDwn's question is TCR.
I think there will be a noticeable difference in three years, at which point it will be very relevant to his decision. It is a risk because the school is so new, but with the price difference and unpredictability of grant money, I think it's the right choice.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
I think there will be a noticeable difference in three years, at which point it will be very relevant to his decision. It is a risk because the school is so new, but with the price difference and unpredictability of grant money, I think it's the right choice.
I'm with JamMasterJ here...too many horror stories about people losing grant money (the idea of a non-guaranteed scholly considering CAs economy is downright scary). Also, I have heard nothing but great things about UCI (both academically and in terms of their placement thus far) so I think it's safe to say that 3 years down the road it will be considered equal to or better than UCD (faculty is already better).

That said, I think UCI=SoCal, UCD=NorCal.

Can you get some more $ out of UCD while you're at it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Gonna give the same advice I game in the Hastings v Irvine thread:
bk187 wrote:I'd pick the cheaper one but if one of them isn't cheaper then I'd say it's a coinflip. There is substantial risk either of them (Davis has mediocre employment stats while Irvine is a huge unknown no matter how much people try to argue otherwise) so I'd basically pick based on whether you prefer NorCal or SoCal assuming the cost is comparable.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 pm

bk187 wrote:Gonna give the same advice I game in the Hastings v Irvine thread:
bk187 wrote:I'd pick the cheaper one but if one of them isn't cheaper then I'd say it's a coinflip. There is substantial risk either of them (Davis has mediocre employment stats while Irvine is a huge unknown no matter how much people try to argue otherwise) so I'd basically pick based on whether you prefer NorCal or SoCal assuming the cost is comparable.
I came into this thread to post exactly this. Its uncanny.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 am

Curry wrote:
This is totally unrelated to the thread, but I have this image of you that I really hope is realistic. I dig the smiley black guy just walking up with that look on his face

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Curry wrote:
This is totally unrelated to the thread, but I have this image of you that I really hope is realistic. I dig the smiley black guy just walking up with that look on his face
The guy in the avatar is Indian. And yes go with the cheaper option if you don't have a location preference.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

chimp wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Curry wrote:I came into this thread to post exactly this. Its uncanny.
The guy in the avatar is Indian. And yes go with the cheaper option if you don't have a location preference.
Oh, whoops. Still applies though, just without the Ohhhh yeaaaahhhh music in my head

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
chimp wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Curry wrote:I came into this thread to post exactly this. Its uncanny.
Oh, whoops. Still applies though, just without the Ohhhh yeaaaahhhh music in my head
Then you'll really enjoy this little gem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:17 am

I've been in Southern California my whole life, so I'm pretty sure I want to end up there. Wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a bit, though. The info I got from davis makes it seem as if going to LA, etc., is a legit possibility.

But, with the grants, is that indeed the case? Will they go away? Irvine, right now, gave a 40% scholarship, which isn't going anywhere. If there's a chance not to receive my Davis grant all three years, then it's no question I'll go to Irvine.

Has anyone out there lost a UC grant from year-to-year?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:10 pm

greg737 wrote:I've been in Southern California my whole life, so I'm pretty sure I want to end up there. Wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a bit, though. The info I got from davis makes it seem as if going to LA, etc., is a legit possibility.
Getting to SoCal from UCD is definitely possible. As I said, if cost is close it is basically a coinflip.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:27 pm

chimp wrote:
Then you'll really enjoy this little gem.
Oh that's Gold

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:17 am

The UCI trolls endlessly clamor that UCI might one day soon be a top-25 school. Davis is right this very second known to be a top-25 school. Go with the known quantity.

Full disclosure: Not unbiased, at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 am

Me no longer like Asians. Me love Asians. Long time.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 pm

SBL wrote:The UCI trolls endlessly clamor that UCI might one day soon be a top-25 school. Davis is right this very second known to be a top-25 school. Go with the known quantity.

Full disclosure: Not unbiased, at all.
I'm going to have to agree with this. UCI is getting there, but "one day soon" will not be soon enough for someone looking to enter ls now.

If I had had the chance, I probably would have gone the year it opened though. UC law school education at no cost? Hell yeah!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”