McGeorge School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
taxnstuff

Re: McGeorge School of Law

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:22 pm

McGeorge sent me a ton of spam emails during my applications. They were annoying.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 pm

taxnstuff wrote:McGeorge sent me a ton of spam emails during my applications. They were annoying.

COOL STORY BRO!

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 pm

McPoop.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 pm

thefifthspeed

Postby thefifthspeed » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:41 am

I ended up choosing Pacific (McGeorge) for fall because of several factors.

-I want to work some type of gov. law and have no desire to work big law. My ideal career would be JAG or DA work and from what I understand they have a good JAG presence. Their mock trail ranks 5th in the nation and I would like something mock-litigation related on my resume.

-With scholarship I am looking about 40k in student loans when I graduate. With a Stafford loan I'm looking at $393-$485/mo for 10 years (calculating subbed and unsubbed)

-Family is an hour away and I would like to have the ability to check in and help out every other week or so.

-Aside from Davis (and of course T14/25), their isn’t as much competition from schools unlike the nearby bay area. I figure a JD from Pacific would reach down the valley to Fresno/Bakersfield/Modesto/Stockton/Sacramento area and into parts of Nevada like Reno.

-Although I don’t have an “in” or a guaranteed job, all of my professional connections are around the valley.

If I’m not in the top 1/3 of my class after 1L I’ll cut my losses and split. I figure if I can’t make the scholarship stip. I shouldn’t be there. If by some chance I smash and end up top 5-10% I would try to transfer to Davis.

Given the above info does anybody still think it’s a bad ideal for me to attend Pacific?
The whole retake/reapply won't work for me as I'm maxed (3LSATs) and the only other school I want (Davis) would require a huge LSAT increase as we are talking a 75 place jump on USN.

RockyMtnLvr

Postby RockyMtnLvr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 am

^ Go for it. I just finished my first year at McGeorge and loved it. I am transferring for personal reasons. I got an awesome summer job (paid!) and took advantage of as many networking opportunities as possible. I think with any lower-ranked school, you really have to be a go-getter and make opportunities for yourself.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Does anyone know if anyone has ever transferred from McGeorge to a T20 school?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am

SplitLife wrote:Does anyone know if anyone has ever transferred from McGeorge to a T20 school?

I am pretty sure it can happen. I may transfer to a 20-30 school and they only need top 25%. That being said it is not McGeorge, but a higher ranked T2.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:36 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
SplitLife wrote:Does anyone know if anyone has ever transferred from McGeorge to a T20 school?

I am pretty sure it can happen. I may transfer to a 20-30 school and they only need top 25%. That being said it is not McGeorge, but a higher ranked T2.

Arrow went from a TT right? Anyone know which??

Can anyone speak on the curve at McG? How many As/A-/B+ etc.?
Professorial focus: more theory or BLL??

farmernate

Postby farmernate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

A number of us transferred to T25 schools, The highest anyone got was UCLA though (to my knowledge). #1 in our class decided to stay at McGeorge, so who knows if they would have gotten any better then UCLA. Everyone that transferred into the T25 was top 10% or very close to it.

SplitLife wrote:Professorial focus: more theory or BLL??

It really depends on the professor. McGeorge on the whole is geared toward BLL and "practical" training, whatever that means.

Also, the Curve at McGeorge is fairly steep. For 1L classes its pretty much 10% A's, 60% B's, the rest C's, D's, and F's (yes they do give F's). McGeorge hands out stipulated scholarships like candy (I had nearly full scholarship with top 30% stip), so it is in their best financial interest to limit the number of students who get to keep their scholarship 2L and 3L years.

Hope this helps.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am

This school is actually called the "McDonalds School of Law". Pretty prestigious to be associated with a Top 10 company in America.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:46 am

JamesChapman23 wrote:This school is actually called the "McDonalds School of Law". Pretty prestigious to be associated with a Top 10 company in America.

Thank you for your valuable insight. Please troll elsewhere, we have a 'No Cunts Allowed' policy in this thread and we are trying to abide by it. Hope you don't mind, have a good day.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:09 pm

SplitLife wrote:
JamesChapman23 wrote:This school is actually called the "McDonalds School of Law". Pretty prestigious to be associated with a Top 10 company in America.

Thank you for your valuable insight. Please troll elsewhere, we have a 'No Cunts Allowed' policy in this thread and we are trying to abide by it. Hope you don't mind, have a good day.

This seems an exercise in futility.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

SplitLife wrote:

Brother, it's not my fault you are trying to ruin your life by attending a TTT. Mcdonalds School of Law is universally a bad idea.

There is not a person on this board that thinks the transfer idea is a good one. Costs, Chances, less chance at OCI. T20-T40 are garbage employment wise as well.

red_owl

Postby red_owl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Girl: What do you do?
You: I'm a law student.
Girl: That's awesome! Where do you go?
You: McGeorge School of Law.
Girl: Waaa?
You: It's a solid T2 on the rise in Cali.
You: Wait...come back!

Later that day...

Girl: Some creeper today tried to hit on me by saying he went to McDonalds Law School.
Friends: Ha ha ha...loser.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 am

I know a few people who did the McGeorge --> Davis transfer. Most had pretty top grades their 1L year. But people who transfer to Davis don't get firm jobs, as a rule, and you have a low (10-20% chance) chance of even being able to pull that off. Don't go to law school hoping to transfer, ever. Ever. Ever ever ever.

der_saeufer

Postby der_saeufer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 am

SBL wrote:Don't go to law school hoping to transfer, ever. Ever. Ever ever ever.

TITCR. Forget all the HYS or GTFO, T14 or don't go, whatever else goes on around here. Go to the law school you want to go to. If you can't get in, retake, work for a few years if you're 21, or just get over it. I'll never get in at Harvard. Too bad for me. Now, if the best you can do is Cooley or TJSL you might want to reconsider your career goal, but there are plenty of happy, practicing lawyers who went to TT schools.

There are plenty of TT schools that place just fine in their own markets. McGeorge is one of them--Sacramento may be only 90 miles from San Francisco, but it's almost as if there's a Berlin Wall somewhere around Fairfield that keeps Sacramentans from flooding the Bay Area with tomato soup and keeps Bay Area folks from flooding Sacramento with money. Now, if you want a BigLaw job in NYC, you might as well go to Regent as McGeorge, but if you want a midlaw or state job in the Central Valley or Reno, McGeorge places well there. You're not going to make $160k, but you won't starve to death if you get out there and try to get a job.

The basic principle remains, though: if you want to go to Davis, go to Davis. It doesn't take UCLA numbers to get into UCD.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

der_saeufer wrote:
SBL wrote:Don't go to law school hoping to transfer, ever. Ever. Ever ever ever.

TITCR. Forget all the HYS or GTFO, T14 or don't go, whatever else goes on around here. Go to the law school you want to go to. If you can't get in, retake, work for a few years if you're 21, or just get over it. I'll never get in at Harvard. Too bad for me. Now, if the best you can do is Cooley or TJSL you might want to reconsider your career goal, but there are plenty of happy, practicing lawyers who went to TT schools.

There are plenty of TT schools that place just fine in their own markets. McGeorge is one of them--Sacramento may be only 90 miles from San Francisco, but it's almost as if there's a Berlin Wall somewhere around Fairfield that keeps Sacramentans from flooding the Bay Area with tomato soup and keeps Bay Area folks from flooding Sacramento with money. Now, if you want a BigLaw job in NYC, you might as well go to Regent as McGeorge, but if you want a midlaw or state job in the Central Valley or Reno, McGeorge places well there. You're not going to make $160k, but you won't starve to death if you get out there and try to get a job.

The basic principle remains, though: if you want to go to Davis, go to Davis. It doesn't take UCLA numbers to get into UCD.

McGeorge doesn't place well anywhere, Sacramento included. It's a bad idea to go to McGeorge, period. People in the top-20% at UCD fight over the few Sac midlaw jobs that exist (Sac firms might, in a given year, hire a TOTAL of 20 summer associates, and a few of these are T14 kids who want to come home to Sacramento). If Sac is where you want to work, it's Davis or retake and then Davis.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”