McGeorge School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
risktaker

McGeorge School of Law

Postby risktaker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 pm

For those attending McGeorge, would you recommend attending this school with a 15k per year no stip scholarship? If so, why? My other option is Seattle U. I put deposits down at both these schools, and I can decide whenever I want, but I would rather do it sooner than later. Thanks in advance.

risktaker

Re: McGeorge School of Law

Postby risktaker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 am

bump

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:17 am

LOL at bumping a post after 16 minutes. I don't think anyone on here goes to McGeorge, and most people here would not recommend it.

ekeko

Postby ekeko » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 am

EDITED July 15, 2011, for additional clarity.

Long time lurker, never posted. But I think I can make a one and only exception since you are getting no hits (please don't PM).

I dropped out a few semesters back from a higher ed program (not from McGeorge law, though) because I did not want to waste anymore money. I strongly urge you to listen to the sound advice you have been given here several times: do not attend this school, even with a full-ride, because it seems that there are NO JOBS after graduation. In my opinion, several, if not most, people that graduate from McGeorge work in retail or in restaurants with no legal prospects whatsoever. In my opinion, yes, there are people that still find some legal work (mostly doc review), but they seem very dissatisfied. In the internet, there are stories here and there of some McGeorge alum that made it big, but even if these stories are true, the odds of success in this place are strongly against one (in my opinion).

I don't know if you are familiar with TTR, but there is a recent post there about McGeorge that pretty much sums up my feelings toward this place:

http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/20 ... ty-of.html

You also mention that you got into Seattle U. I don't really know much about it, but I assume that it's a similar story over there. These TTT places cost a lot, and the debt acquired can be soul-crushing, especially when one has dim chances of finding a decent paying legal job. But ask around, maybe someone from there will come forward and inform you about their situation.

Anyways, I'll make my way into the shadows once again.

Good luck.
Last edited by ekeko on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 am

Stop making thread after thread asking the same questions.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 am

Honestly, you just made a thread a few days ago about how dire of a decision this was and how it needed to be made within a day or two. Now you've removed the time limit and opened up the firing range again. You know the opinion of forum members about both schools. What are you looking for? Are you hoping one U Pacific student will come on here and post how good of an experience they've had?

If so, I'll make a fake account, give you the satisfaction, and hopefully end these pointless threads.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 pm

ekeko wrote:
risktaker wrote:For those attending McGeorge, would you recommend attending this school with a 15k per year no stip scholarship? If so, why? My other option is Seattle U. I put deposits down at both these schools, and I can decide whenever I want, but I would rather do it sooner than later. Thanks in advance.

Long time lurker, never posted. But I think I can make a one and only exception since you are getting no hits (please don't PM).

I dropped out a few semesters back because I did not want to waste anymore money. I strongly urge you to listen to the sound advice you have been given here several times: do not attend this school, even with a full-ride, because there are NO JOBS after graduation. Several, if not most, people that graduate from McGeorge work in retail or in restaurants with no legal prospects whatsoever. Yes, there are people that still find some legal work (mostly doc review), but they seem very dissatisfied. There are stories here and there of some McGeorge alum that made it big, but even if these stories are true, the odds of success in this place are strongly against one.

I don't know if you are familiar with TTR, but there is a recent post there about McGeorge that pretty much sums up my feelings toward this place:

You also mention that you got into Seattle U. I don't really know much about it, but I assume that it's a similar story over there. These TTT places cost a lot, and the debt acquired can be soul-crushing, especially when one has dim chances of finding a decent paying legal job. But ask around, maybe someone from there will come forward and inform you about their situation.

Good luck.

Why would you lurk around TLS if you dropped out of law school? I don't think I know one person who uses TLS after they're admitted to LS, let alone someone who feels compelled to browse the discussion boards after they've dropped out.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ekeko wrote:
risktaker wrote:For those attending McGeorge, would you recommend attending this school with a 15k per year no stip scholarship? If so, why? My other option is Seattle U. I put deposits down at both these schools, and I can decide whenever I want, but I would rather do it sooner than later. Thanks in advance.

I dropped out a few semesters back because I did not want to waste anymore money. I strongly urge you to listen to the sound advice you have been given here several times: do not attend this school, even with a full-ride, because there are NO JOBS after graduation. Several, if not most, people that graduate from McGeorge work in retail or in restaurants with no legal prospects whatsoever. Yes, there are people that still find some legal work (mostly doc review), but they seem very dissatisfied. There are stories here and there of some McGeorge alum that made it big, but even if these stories are true, the odds of success in this place are strongly against one.

Good luck.

Why would you lurk around TLS if you dropped out of law school? I don't think I know one person who uses TLS after they're admitted to LS, let alone someone who feels compelled to browse the discussion boards after they've dropped out.

Wut? There are a ton of law students on TLS, along with a handful of lawyers. The rest of your post is credited. Love the bitter drop outs, MTal-style.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ekeko wrote:

Good luck.

lol TLS would be largely useless if not for the contributions of current students. There are tons of law students around here.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 pm

TheFactor wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
ekeko wrote:

Good luck.

lol TLS would be largely useless if not for the contributions of current students. There are tons of law students around here.

Not entirely useless. This is a great 0L freakout zone. I think that's probably why my friends stopped using TLS after they were admitted.

Well, that and they're convinced the board nothing but bitter a-holes. Go figure. 8)

thefifthspeed

Postby thefifthspeed » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:37 pm

The vast majority of the scholarships there are with stips so if you have the 15k w/o stips it wouldn't be the end of the world if you decided law school isn't for you after 1 year although you'd still be in the hole about 35-40k with COL factored in. The upside is you place top 5-10% and transfer out or renegotiate scholly. For arguments sake let's assume you fall somewhere in between.

I guess going to McG depends on what type of law you want to practice and where. If you're goal is to work small firms/ gov. law/PI and in the sac/valley/reno area you have options.

Assume you won't be able to transfer out and will probably be stuck around that area for at least a chunk of your life. If you're ok with the above and set on law school then I say give it a go given you're situation.

Compared to Santa Clara and USF which are similar in rank (90-100) you do have a better chance with McG because the Bay has tons more competition whereas the valley isn't as saturated. You'll still be having to fight with Davis grads + any T25 grads that can't find work and are willing to "settle" for work in a mediocre living environment.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Risktaker:

You should ask these question:

If I go to McG, will I be able to find a fulfilling job as a lawyer (not doc review)?

If I go to McG, will I able to able to find a job that will allow me to pay pack the nearly 140K debt [(20+40-15)(3)] I will have acquired?

I am afraid the answers are: Maybe at best; and No.

I know you really want to be a lawyer. Why don't you move to Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho and go the state law schools there as an in-state resident? Your job will be much more fulfilling and it won't bankrupt you.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 pm

McGeorge is for wimps and fatties. Or maybe that's McDonalds, I forgot which. Job prospects are the same though.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 pm

scammedhard wrote:Risktaker:

You should ask these question:

If I go to McG, will I be able to find a fulfilling job as a lawyer (not doc review)?

If I go to McG, will I able to able to find a job that will allow me to pay pack the nearly 140K debt [(20+40-15)(3)] I will have acquired?

I am afraid the answers are: Maybe at best; and No.

I know you really want to be a lawyer. Why don't you move to Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho and go the state law schools there as an in-state resident? Your job will be much more fulfilling and it won't bankrupt you.

Buffalo would be just as good, I would think, although you have more competition up there (it's only from Cuse and Albany, TTTTs).

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 pm

WTH is McGeorge law? I thought the thread title was a joke about GWU.

Edit: And not to be mean, but check out this motley crew of McGeorge graduates I found on wikipedia

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Wish I knew what to do. Don't know if Seattle U is the answer. Is Seattle U a better school to attend than McG? I know SU isn't a terrific school either, but when you compare it to McG, is it better? I might head to Seattle just because at least I will enjoy living there for a year unlike Sacramento.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

nickwar wrote:WTH is McGeorge law? I thought the thread title was a joke about GWU.

Edit: And not to be mean, but check out this motley crew of McGeorge graduates I found on wikipedia

Now this has to be an LLM class.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Acording some data I saw on Taxprof blog, only 50 percent of SeattleU had jobs at graduation. Seattle has a Small legal market and It is dominated by UW grads and Kids coming back from Harvard and elite schools. I would only go to either school if I had strong legal connections that practically guaranteed a job.

If you absolutely must go to a law school and these are your only options, then I'd go to Seattle over McGeorge because Seattle is in Seattle as apposed to sacramento, and Seattle U is at least a respected jesuit school as apposed to being affiliated with some place called the "University of the Pacific" which sounds to me like an online/diploma mill.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Oban wrote:Acording some data I saw on Taxprof blog, only 50 percent of SeattleU had jobs at graduation. Seattle has a Small legal market and It is dominated by UW grads and Kids coming back from Harvard and elite schools. I would only go to either school if I had strong legal connections that practically guaranteed a job.

If you absolutely must go to a law school and these are your only options, then I'd go to Seattle over McGeorge because Seattle is in Seattle as apposed to sacramento, and Seattle U is at least a respected jesuit school as apposed to being affiliated with some place called the "University of the Pacific" which sounds to me like an online/diploma mill.

It is actually a non profit university that is located in a place far worse than Sacramento...Stockton.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Oh you are right, it is in stockton, foreclosure/methopolis

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, think it is going to be Seattle for me.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 pm

risktaker- it seems as though you still dont know which school to go to. Have you tried talking to both schools and deferring from one ( and withdrawing from another) to give yourself some more time to evaluate them?? This is a very important decision that you will be making and giving yourself some more time to research your options ( and possibly sitting in on some classes- talking to curent studentd during the semester) will help you.

while it may suck waiting a year- at least you will know that you researched this fully and will have complete confidence in your decision as to what schoolbest fits you and your goals.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:16 am

Oban wrote:If you absolutely must go to a law school and these are your only options, then I'd go to Seattle over McGeorge because Seattle is in Seattle as apposed to sacramento, and Seattle U is at least a respected jesuit school as apposed to being affiliated with some place called the "University of the Pacific" which sounds to me like an online/diploma mill.

Oh come now. U of the Pacific passes my test for being a legit university!
They made the NCAA Basketball Tournament a while back! '05, I think.

but that has nothing to do with law school

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 am

JoeFish wrote:
Oban wrote:If you absolutely must go to a law school and these are your only options, then I'd go to Seattle over McGeorge because Seattle is in Seattle as apposed to sacramento, and Seattle U is at least a respected jesuit school as apposed to being affiliated with some place called the "University of the Pacific" which sounds to me like an online/diploma mill.

Oh come now. U of the Pacific passes my test for being a legit university!
They made the NCAA Basketball Tournament a while back! '05, I think.

but that has nothing to do with law school

To support that test, I present to you the Kandi Man:

--ImageRemoved--

RockyMtnLvr

Postby RockyMtnLvr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:07 pm

I go to McGeorge but I have applied to transfer. One thing that is great about McGeorge is the environment -- everyone is friendly and willing to help. I never had that in undergrad. That being said, don't expect your 2L scholarship amount to go up...even with spectacular grades :/

Return to “Choosing a Law School”