Help WUSTL (75k scholly) vs UCLA (60k scholly)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL vs UCLA

WUSTL
12%
UCLA
88%

Total votes: 25

frustrated3

Help WUSTL (75k scholly) vs UCLA (60k scholly)

Postby frustrated3 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:58 pm

I already have my deposit for WUSTL but from what I hear UCLA has better national prestige? What do you guys think? Is it worth making a switch to UCLA? I do not have any particular preference for the East or West Coast...

bk1

Re: Help WUSTL (75k scholly) vs UCLA (60k scholly)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Since you prefer the west coast, go to UCLA.

If you really wanted the East Coast I would generally recommend retaking/reapplying over either of these schools.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

WUSTL only if you want Midwest.
UCLA definitely for West Coast, and compared to WUSTL, for East Coast also.

Also, if you want East Coast, no Cornell/Vanderbilt?

chem

Postby chem » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

need to know your career ambitions and location preferences to give an answer. UCLA does have more national prestige

frustrated3

Postby frustrated3 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm

I unfortunately sold my self short (I dont have an impressive lsat score....atleast not TLS worthy :)) so I didn't apply to many top schools (no vandy nor cornell). I am interested in IP law and since I dont have a particular interest in east or west the school that is better marketable in both regions would be preferred.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

frustrated3 wrote:I unfortunately sold my self short (I dont have an impressive lsat score....atleast not TLS worthy :)) so I didn't apply to many top schools (no vandy nor cornell). I am interested in IP law and since I dont have a particular interest in east or west the school that is better marketable in both regions would be preferred.

UCLA. Or reapply to GWU next year, because they have a great IP program and a decent national name.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 pm

frustrated3 wrote:I unfortunately sold my self short (I dont have an impressive lsat score....atleast not TLS worthy :)) so I didn't apply to many top schools (no vandy nor cornell). I am interested in IP law and since I dont have a particular interest in east or west the school that is better marketable in both regions would be preferred.

If you want a school that is marketable in both regions then you should really retake/reapply.

Otherwise you should take UCLA since it is marketable in at least one of those regions as opposed to none. This is not to say that UCLA can't get you the east coast (because it can... heck even WUSTL can), but that it is ridiculously hard to get the east coast out of UCLA when compared to a T14 or somewhere else with far better east coast placement (GW, Fordham, even Vandy).

frustrated3

Postby frustrated3 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the input!! wow looks like everybody is rooting for UCLA...

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

bk1 wrote:

If you want a school that is marketable in both regions then you should really retake/reapply.

Otherwise you should take UCLA since it is marketable in at least one of those regions as opposed to none. This is not to say that UCLA can't get you the east coast (because it can... heck even WUSTL can), but that it is ridiculously hard to get the east coast out of UCLA when compared to a T14 or somewhere else with far better east coast placement (GW, Fordham, even Vandy).

This. Re-take/re-apply if you can, but if you are set on going this year then UCLA should be the choice. (The only caveat being WUSTL if you want the Midwest).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”