UC Davis ($) vs UC Hastings (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings (Sticker) or UC Davis ($)?

UC Hastings
25%
UC Davis
75%

Total votes: 32

lowereastside

UC Davis ($) vs UC Hastings (sticker)

Postby lowereastside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

I am really struggling to pick between UC Hastings (my top choice) and UC Davis, which I sort of applied on a lark thinking I probably wouldn't get in. So I just found out I got into Davis, and they are giving me a 10k scholarship as well.

My goal would be to do biglaw, preferably in the Bay Area, but I realize the market being the way it is, that I would have to do really well at either school for that to be a realistic goal. So I'm not married to the idea of biglaw for obvious reasons, but I do want to be back in the Bay Area. I also really like the idea of working in local government, but I'd rather do that in the Bay Area, than say Sacramento. Is the difference in rankings significant, given that Davis is upper 20s and Hastings is in the 40s? Is Hastings's environment as competitive as the rumors make it out to be? Is a need-based scholarship given by UC Davis renewable?

I guess I'm struggling between the fact that Davis seems to be on the upswing/is actually giving me money, whereas Hastings seems to have the longstanding reputation and connections to the SF market. Any kind of insight would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by lowereastside on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uzpakalis

Re: UC Davis ($) vs UC Hastings (sticker)

Postby uzpakalis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Tell Hastings Davis is giving you 10k and you want them to match it (then go to Hastings).

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Hastings will give you money if you explain your situation. Do not mention ability to live at home to save money.

Last year, I was in at Davis, with need-based aid, and rode the Hastings WL until they let me in in July, sadly w/o $. I preferred to live in San Francisco, so it wasn't much of a decision. And when I asked Hastings for some $, they offered some up. Problem solved.

Godspeed.

kristyk

Postby kristyk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

Agree with other posters. If you ask Hastings for money they will most likely give it to you. Happened to me.

lowereastside

Postby lowereastside » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely try emailing Hastings then. Though given my track record with scholarship negotiations, I'm not too hopeful. I've asked Hastings for money awhile back, and they wouldn't budge. (Which made me very jealous of all the people I did read about who were able to negotiate a little money! Lucky ducks.)

Aside from the money issue, do people have any thoughts on Davis vs. Hastings, especially for someone who is interested in corporate law? I get the sense that Davis is a little more public interest oriented, which isn't exactly my interest area, but I really just don't know! I'd love to hear from people who also had to make this decision, and what they consider the strengths and weaknesses of both schools.

menstrualcrumps

Postby menstrualcrumps » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Absolutely go to Davis. I went there for UG and it is definitely better.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 pm

employment statistics

--LinkRemoved--

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Davis. This is no fucking contest. These schools are essentially the same.

1) Cheaper Cost of Attendance
2) Cheaper Cost of Living

/thread

lowereastside

Postby lowereastside » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 pm

chimp wrote:Davis. This is no fucking contest. These schools are essentially the same.

/thread

Would you still consider Davis the easy choice if my Cost of Living/attendance wasn't necessarily higher at Hastings?

Money aside, are the schools really the same? Why would you describe it like that? Would I have a better chance of doing well GPA wise at Davis vs. Hastings, given the scary things I've heard about the Hastings curve? Could I lose a need-based scholarship my 2nd/3rd year? Will being at Davis hurt my chances of doing corporate law in San Francisco? Why the heck has the Davis ranking jumped up so much the past three years? Is it legit?

Obviously, its going to be really difficult to answer a lot of my questions, if at all, but I'm totally freaking out because Davis wants a decision in a few days, and I haven't even visited the campus yet! It's very hard to get a feel for a school from just a few brochures :shock:. I'm hoping to stop by this weekend, which is the only time I can go since I work full time, but I know I'm not going to get a great idea of what the school is like. Are the facilities nice?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Flip a coin. It will not matter one iota where you go.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 am

lowereastside wrote:
chimp wrote:Davis. This is no fucking contest. These schools are essentially the same.

/thread

Would you still consider Davis the easy choice if my Cost of Living/attendance wasn't necessarily higher at Hastings?

Money aside, are the schools really the same? Why would you describe it like that? Would I have a better chance of doing well GPA wise at Davis vs. Hastings, given the scary things I've heard about the Hastings curve? Could I lose a need-based scholarship my 2nd/3rd year? Will being at Davis hurt my chances of doing corporate law in San Francisco? Why the heck has the Davis ranking jumped up so much the past three years? Is it legit?

Obviously, its going to be really difficult to answer a lot of my questions, if at all, but I'm totally freaking out because Davis wants a decision in a few days, and I haven't even visited the campus yet! It's very hard to get a feel for a school from just a few brochures :shock:. I'm hoping to stop by this weekend, which is the only time I can go since I work full time, but I know I'm not going to get a great idea of what the school is like. Are the facilities nice?

To simplify things, essentially Davis and Hastings have very similar placement in the bay area and CA in general (regardless of their rankings), you don't have a better chance of doing better at one school or the other, and you don't have a very good chance of getting biglaw in SF (or anywhere) from either (although it is obviously possible if you do really well).

The reason I suggested Davis is because these two schools are so equal that you should just go with the cheaper option. I would also recommend visiting Davis and you should most likely go there unless you really hate it or are really set on attending school in SF for some reason. Even if you did lose your grant at Davis (I don't know if this happens or not) cost of living is significantly cheaper there which would still make it the cheaper option.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 pm

FWIW, I had the same concerns regarding grant renewals at Davis and all of the 2Ls or 3Ls I spoke to received identical/comparable amounts.

I visited both schools and appreciated the relaxed vibe of Davis more. And full disclosure: I'm going there this fall.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”