UW-Madison (sticker) v. Marquette (w/ $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

The better choice is...

UW-Madison
82%
Marquette
18%

Total votes: 33

Coldsoda

UW-Madison (sticker) v. Marquette (w/ $)

Postby Coldsoda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm having a difficult time deciding between these two schools. Basically, I just found out that I was accepted into UW-Madison (of course, this occurred after I had to put $900 down to reserve my seat at Marquette, but I'm not worried about losing my deposit if I choose Madison)

I received a half-tuition scholarship to Marquette, and with in-state tuition to Madison, that basically makes their price tags the same, and I figure I'm going to have to take about $75k in loans no matter which school I go to.

I'm from Milwaukee and wouldn't mind practicing in Wisconsin for the rest of my life so the diploma privilege is a pretty sweet deal, and I'll get it at both schools.

The obvious choice would be UW-Madison because they are ranked higher and could offer me a better legal education. However, most of the information I have been reading has indicated that just the top 10-20% of students get into the high-paying legal occupations, while the remaining students fill the mid- and lower-paying jobs.

And therein lies my problem. With the different caliber of students they admit (and from the general feel I received visiting those schools), I believe I can almost definitely fall into the top 10-20% of students at Marquette, but would probably fall in the median of students at UW-Madison. Obviously I will try to be in the top percentage of the class no matter where I go, but realistically I have to assume that I will receive better grades at Marquette than Madison, due to the fact that my LSAT (160) and GPA (3.9) were on the high end for Marquette and the low end for Madison.

Basically, for future employment purposes, would it be better to go to a lower ranked school and graduate near the top of my class (Marquette), or attend a higher ranked school and graduate in the middle of my class? (Madison)

I have to confirm if I am enrolling at UW-Madison by June 24th, so any help or insight anyone could give would be much appreciated.

(For lazy readers, just read the bold part)

ndirish2010

Re: UW-Madison (sticker) v. Marquette (w/ $)

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Silly 0L once again assuming he can predict class standing by looking at admissions stats. BAD. Go to Madison, it's a better school. When you pick schools, you want to compare where you would be at if you fell in the SAME spot in the class at both schools. Madison >> Marquette.

goldeneagle

Postby goldeneagle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 pm

"but realistically I have to assume that I will receive better grades at Marquette than Madison,"

what?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Coldsoda wrote:realistically I have to assume that I will receive better grades at Marquette than Madison,

You can't assume this.

And since you can't, you should go to the better school if they cost the same.

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Coldsoda wrote:I believe I can almost definitely fall into the top 10-20% of students at Marquette, but would probably fall in the median of students at UW-Madison... realistically I have to assume that I will receive better grades at Marquette than Madison, due to the fact that my LSAT (160) and GPA (3.9) were on the high end for Marquette and the low end for Madison.

Since you're looking at the exact same amount of debt, just go to Madison. Don't waste your time trying to predict where you will be ranked in your class three years from now based on LSAT/UGPA medians.

I'm just another 0L so ignore this if you want, but I feel like your rationale is a little off-base.

Unless you're talking about two schools ranked drastically different, like Harvard vs. Florida Coastal, median LSAT and UGPA numbers probably shouldn't be used to compare the overall difficulty in making it to the top 10% of the class.

Other factors you may be ignoring are probably better indicators. Does one law school have more cutthroat/competitive students than the other? A high LSAT median doesn't necessarily mean that the school has a cutthroat environment.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Isn't Marquette moving into new facilities this year ?

Although my first reaction was Wisconsin, if your plans are to live & work in Wisconsin & you already live in Milwaukee and like it, then it becomes a personal choice. Visit both & then decide.
My understanding is that both law schools are well respected throughout Wisconsin.

P.S. I voted for Wisconsin because it is the safer choice if you seek employment outside of the state early in your career.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Thread title is misleading as the cost is the same. The answer is easy: Madison.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm currently working at one of the biggest firms in Wisconsin and I can tell you from experience that we look at UW way better than Marquette despite being located in Milwaukee. Not to suggest that we don't have plenty of grads from Marquette, because we do, but most of them went to Marquette and were hired years ago when the economy was in much better shape. If the cost is the same it shouldn't even be a contest, I would only take Marquette over UW if they offered you essentially a full ride. Plus UW will give you a good chance of working in Madison, or elsewhere in WI/midwest possibly, whereas Marquette won't.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 pm

clintonone88: Aren't you an OL ? Your post above uses the word "we" in a bit of a misleading fashion, in my opinion, if you are just an OL deciding among Marquette, Lewis & Clark and other law schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Coldsoda wrote:The obvious choice would be UW-Madison

You answered your own question

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

I think OP was referring to the obvious choice based on USNews rankings, not necessarily in the context of his/her situation. Marquette is a rapidly rising law school with a new facility located in OP's target market & target city. Although I voted for Wisconsin, I can appreciate the OP's hesitation.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think OP was referring to the obvious choice based on USNews rankings, not necessarily in the context of his/her situation. Marquette is a rapidly rising law school with a new facility located in OP's target market & target city.

Still UW and Marquette differ substantially in ranking and employment. I think there are advantages to being in Madison as well (you can do an externship at the state supreme court, which is only blocks away from school, a very well funded public research uni, etc.). It'd be different if it was Marquette at half and Wisco at sticker for OOS. But the cost is not a factor and thus I think the clear choice is UW.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:clintonone88: Aren't you an OL ? Your post above uses the word "we" in a bit of a misleading fashion, in my opinion, if you are just an OL deciding among Marquette, Lewis & Clark and other law schools.

I just meant "we" as in general opinion at the firm I work for. Obviously I'm not personally making hiring decisions, but I've worked here for 3 summers doing patent illustrations and know what advice all of the associates/partners I've spoken with have given me regarding madison/marquette since I was accepted at both.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I also voted for Wisconsin, but think that Marquette is on the rise.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”