UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cardozo or UCONN

Poll ended at Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Cardozo with 20k scholarship
5
12%
UCONN - full ride
37
88%
 
Total votes: 42

glolaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby glolaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

.
Last edited by glolaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby scammedhard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:56 pm

UConn sounds like a really good deal. Congrats, and please make sure you don't lose the scholarship. So you know, I suggest you call UConn and ask them how many scholarships [under your terms] are historically renewed.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby mrtoren » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:57 pm

UConn. Don't even think twice about it.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah, stay away from Dozo.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:04 pm

glolaw wrote:In at UCONN with full tuition scholarship (in state tuition anyways) or Cardozo with 20k/year renewable scholarship? UCONN requires 3.0 gpa and Cardozo with 2.95 gpa to renew. Graduating law school with minimal debt is very attractive but I'm afraid of job prospects and job market in CT vs. NY. Help me decide please! :shock:


Not sure what the bolded means. Do you want to work in CT, or in NYC?

Also, will you be borrowing the rest of the tuition (for Dozo) and the living expenses (for both)?

glolaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby glolaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I am still undecided on where I might practice but I figured there's more job opportunities in the NY legal market, opposed to CT's. And yes, I will be taking out loans for both. Living costs are much cheaper in Hartford but I would also love to move back to New York...still can't decide...

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby scammedhard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

glolaw wrote:I am still undecided on where I might practice but I figured there's more job opportunities in the NY legal market, opposed to CT's. And yes, I will be taking out loans for both. Living costs are much cheaper in Hartford but I would also love to move back to New York...still can't decide...

True, there are more opportunities in NY, but probably not for Cardozo graduates. I think that in term of job prospects UConn/CT>Cardozo/NY. If want to move back to NY, fine, but going to law school these days is very risky, and therefore your top priority should be finding employment as a lawyer. Don't let your desire to move to NY blind your judgment. NY is going to be there for a long time. You'll have plenty of chances to move there under much better terms than by attending Cardozo.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

glolaw wrote:In at UCONN with full tuition scholarship (in state tuition anyways) or Cardozo with 20k/year renewable scholarship? UCONN requires 3.0 gpa and Cardozo with 2.95 gpa to renew. Graduating law school with minimal debt is very attractive but I'm afraid of job prospects and job market in CT vs. NY. Help me decide please! :shock:


Are you sure this is a renewable scholarship? UConn does not give renewable merit aid as a matter of policy, and they have very few named scholarships and I was told by admissions that they are all spoken for as of last year. I assume you're simply getting in-state tuition and calling it scholarship, but if not, you might want to double check that...

glolaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby glolaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm

.
Last edited by glolaw on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 am

UConn, no doubt. Don't even question it.

OldManHunger
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby OldManHunger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 am

You're fucked from either one. But do U Conn and drop out if you lose the scholarship. God knows what you expect to do if/after you get the degree, though. Good luck getting a job. And don't forget you're paying for living expenses for three years.

Edit: 87% first-time bar passage rate. (LinkRemoved) 86% self-reported nine-month employment rate. (LinkRemoved) What a scam.

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 am

W. UCONN & full ride, you won't be needing to worry about being forced into big law just to pay of the debt. You can actually go into laws outside of big law and actually pursue something you might enjoy. With Cardozo, however, you have no other choice but to go into big law. Even then, your chances of working in biglaw is a lot more difficult given that Cardozo's reputation isn't all that great. Plus, even if you managed to do well at Cardozo, you're going to have to compete with other NY law schools that are much higher in ranking and reputation as well as other top 14 law schools.

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby downing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 am

UConn looks like the better deal. The cost of living in the Hartford area is not steep, and with in-state tuition you could manage to graduate with around or less than 100k in student loans (if you scrimp and save), so even if you lose your full ride, you won't necessarily be "fucked".

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 am

UCONN TUPIII

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby Robespierre » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:20 am

glolaw wrote:I am still undecided on where I might practice but I figured there's more job opportunities in the NY legal market, opposed to CT's. And yes, I will be taking out loans for both. Living costs are much cheaper in Hartford but I would also love to move back to New York...still can't decide...


OK thanks. UConn is the clear choice. The one thing you want to avoid in this environment is unemployment/underemployment coupled with heavy debt. Dozo, even though I'm a big fan of the school, presents that danger in your case. You'd be borrowing over 150K and then going into a bad job market with a Tier 2 degree. For UConn you'd only have to borrow, what, 75K at most in light of the full ride and low COL? And job prospects would be a bit better in CT since UConn carries more clout in CT (second best school in the state) than Dozo does in NYC (fourth best, plus you must compete with people flocking to NYC from all over the world).

Caveat: You need to research just how tough it is to maintain a 3.0.

OldManHunger
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby OldManHunger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 pm

downing wrote:UConn looks like the better deal. The cost of living in the Hartford area is not steep, and with in-state tuition you could manage to graduate with around or less than 100k in student loans (if you scrimp and save), so even if you lose your full ride, you won't necessarily be "fucked".


You will be after you graduate and can't find a job.

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby downing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm

OldManHunger wrote:
downing wrote:UConn looks like the better deal. The cost of living in the Hartford area is not steep, and with in-state tuition you could manage to graduate with around or less than 100k in student loans (if you scrimp and save), so even if you lose your full ride, you won't necessarily be "fucked".


You will be after you graduate and can't find a job.


Not finding a job is an unfortunate risk attached to pretty much every law school outside of HYS and CCN (and even the holy 6 do not guarantee their law school graduates jobs). If you want a near guarantee of employment, especially in this economy, you might want to try for an MD. At the end of the day, there are very few graduates who can afford to be unemployed for very long after law school. Law school is a crazy move in this day and age, but that's already old news. For some people who go to schools less amazingly prestigious than the T30ish bunch, it even works out.

Supposing OP gets a decent job, not big law, but decent, OP shouldn't have a problem paying back whatever students loans he/she accrues from attending UCONN. On the other hand, Cardozo might be an uneconomical choice. UCONN also has a better relative reputation in CT than Cardozo does in NY, as Robespierre mentioned.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 pm

downing wrote:Not finding a job is an unfortunate risk attached to pretty much every career field these days


FTFY

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby downing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 pm

crossarmant wrote:
downing wrote:Not finding a job is an unfortunate risk attached to pretty much every career field these days


FTFY


My bad; that's better.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby Robespierre » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:09 pm

crossarmant wrote:
downing wrote:Not finding a job is an unfortunate risk attached to pretty much every career field these days


FTFY


So true! The reason not to go to law school today is not the unemployment risk; that's currently a risk in just about every field other than medicine. It's the cost, i.e., the debt you have to take on. This OP has found a way around the debt at UConn (full ride, assuming he can keep it). He should go there if he's burning to be a lawyer.

OldManHunger
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby OldManHunger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Yeah. You take a risk when you walk out your door. Guess I might as well just play some Russian Roulette. After all. There's always a risk.

This logic helps clear up why some of the people who end up at these schools end up at the schools, though.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

OldManHunger wrote:Yeah. You take a risk when you walk out your door. Guess I might as well just play some Russian Roulette. After all. There's always a risk.

This logic helps clear up why some of the people who end up at these schools end up at the schools, though.


It wouldn't be bad if you did play some RR.

OldManHunger
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby OldManHunger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:41 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
OldManHunger wrote:Yeah. You take a risk when you walk out your door. Guess I might as well just play some Russian Roulette. After all. There's always a risk.

This logic helps clear up why some of the people who end up at these schools end up at the schools, though.


It wouldn't be bad if you did play some RR.


Just to tie this back to the topic, there a lot of people who'd rather eat a gun than go to, say, U Conn, Cardozo, or West Virginia and live the life that implies.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

OldManHunger wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
OldManHunger wrote:Yeah. You take a risk when you walk out your door. Guess I might as well just play some Russian Roulette. After all. There's always a risk.

This logic helps clear up why some of the people who end up at these schools end up at the schools, though.


It wouldn't be bad if you did play some RR.


Just to tie this back to the topic, there a lot of people who'd rather eat a gun than go to, say, U Conn, Cardozo, or West Virginia and live the life that implies.


By all means, be the one that does it.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: UCONN or Cardozo?? Help me decide!

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:14 pm

OldManHunger wrote:Just to tie this back to the topic, there a lot of people who'd rather eat a gun than go to, say, U Conn, Cardozo, or West Virginia and live the life that implies.


Whew, suicide is the correct answer for anyone who wants to be in the top 1% of Americans but instead winds up in the top 15% instead. I'd hate to be one of the 3% of Americans who have a Professional/Doctorate degree. Not going to an Ivy League school will ruin everything.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thriller1122 and 5 guests