Method to Law School Search Madness?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ohsoccerjb

Method to Law School Search Madness?

Postby ohsoccerjb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Hello Everyone...

This is my first post (and I'm still trying to get a taste of what TLS is all about). I've been "thinking" about law school for a couple years now and have been prepping for the October LSAT. I'll finish my LSAT prep course in September. Should I enroll in law school starting in the fall of 2012, I will have a B.S. and an M.S. before starting law school, along with a few years of work experience.

I did a few searches online (and to be transparent, "skimmed" posts that turned up in my search on TLS) for how to go about searching for law schools. I was planning to make a prospect list of schools first, regardless of LSAT score. Then, as my practice tests (scores) start to get a bit more averaged out, start narrowing down the list of schools.

Is there a "right way" to go about this whole process? I doubt my score will be T1 material, but could be competitive T2 material. With two degrees under my belt and working in a field that is anything but lucrative, financials will be a big part of the decision-making process. Is there a method to this madness? Where do I start? Should I start with looking at LSAT medians first? Should I look at areas of concentration (public interest and social justice)? Location? Ranking? Looking long-term, law school will be more of a stepping-stone to moving forward in my current industry (not law), though I would like to practice for a few years right after school.

If there are posts already out there that I didn't catch, sorry (in advance) for the duplicate posting.

mrtoren

Re: Method to Law School Search Madness?

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Honestly, you shouldn't even look until you have an LSAT score. Practice tests, even averaged, are an unreliable indicator. Some people walk in on test day and nail it, others completely blank and can't get it together. That score will be the deciding factor in where you go, with your GPA being a somewhat distant second. For now, just focus on studying. If you have an unusual amount of free time, you can peruse the articles on this site, but don't waste too much energy.

Wade LeBosh

Re: Method to Law School Search Madness?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:22 pm

mrtoren wrote:Honestly, you shouldn't even look until you have an LSAT score. Practice tests, even averaged, are an unreliable indicator. Some people walk in on test day and nail it, others completely blank and can't get it together. That score will be the deciding factor in where you go, with your GPA being a somewhat distant second. For now, just focus on studying. If you have an unusual amount of free time, you can peruse the articles on this site, but don't waste too much energy.

Agree with everything except the bolded. OP, spend a lot of time and energy in the LSAT prep section of the site.

check out http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com

Return to “Choosing a Law School”