UIUC vs NDLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NDLS vs UIUC

UIUC 30K/YR
68%
NDLS 20K/YR
33%

Total votes: 40

ndirish2010

Re: UIUC vs NDLS

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:What are the factors that are making you even consider ND over Illinois? Maybe I'm biased because I go to Illinois, but why would you pay 10K more per year to go to a peer school? Even if it was for religious reasons I think god would understand saving $30,000 for near identical job prospects.

All I can say is that there are many people in my class that had this identical choice and chose ND. It is not that outlandish.

Not trying to shit on anyone that picked ND I'm just curious. What are the subjective factors you mentioned?

They certainly don't apply to everyone. Some people hate Notre Dame, others don't get why some think it is so great. I'm obviously not trying to shit on UIUC, I did almost choose it but in the end I couldn't leave Notre Dame for a comparatively small amount of money. I would agree the schools are pretty much peers, but I think UIUC's advantage in Chicago is overstated because of the pure numbers. There is a solid ND alumni base in Chicago as well.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:What are the factors that are making you even consider ND over Illinois? Maybe I'm biased because I go to Illinois, but why would you pay 10K more per year to go to a peer school? Even if it was for religious reasons I think god would understand saving $30,000 for near identical job prospects.

All I can say is that there are many people in my class that had this identical choice and chose ND. It is not that outlandish.

Not trying to shit on anyone that picked ND I'm just curious. What are the subjective factors you mentioned?

They certainly don't apply to everyone. Some people hate Notre Dame, others don't get why some think it is so great. I'm obviously not trying to shit on UIUC, I did almost choose it but in the end I couldn't leave Notre Dame for a comparatively small amount of money. I would agree the schools are pretty much peers, but I think UIUC's advantage in Chicago is overstated because of the pure numbers. There is a solid ND alumni base in Chicago as well.

I made the same decision and am now at ND. The employment numbers are slightly better here (NLJ+Art.III), but more importantly, we place at better locations... some of our biggest employers are V25 firms, and we have an excellent track record at clerkships (even outpacing several T14 schools at SCOTUS clerkships, not that you should bank on that).

I'm as debt-averse as anybody... but I would (and did) choose ND in this situation.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

ndirish2010 wrote:They certainly don't apply to everyone. Some people hate Notre Dame, others don't get why some think it is so great. I'm obviously not trying to shit on UIUC, I did almost choose it but in the end I couldn't leave Notre Dame for a comparatively small amount of money. I would agree the schools are pretty much peers, but I think UIUC's advantage in Chicago is overstated because of the pure numbers. There is a solid ND alumni base in Chicago as well.

UIUC isn't "better" than Notre Dame (or if it is, it isn't by much). It's just cheaper by a not insignificant margin. That's the reason this decision is pretty easy (unless OP just loves ND so much that they can't imagine spending 3 years in Champaign, and will cry themselves to sleep every night wishing they were in the stands watching the Irish lose to Navy).

And even if ND and UIUC had equal law school alumni in Chicago (which I doubt), the sheer number of UIUC undergrads in the area gives it a boost as well. I'll bet most law firm partners in Chicago went to UIUC for law school/undergrad, or married someone who did, or has a kid who goes there now. What does that mean for jerbs? I honestly have no idea. But if we're just talking alumni or "brand" of the school, I think UIUC takes Chicago pretty handily.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:They certainly don't apply to everyone. Some people hate Notre Dame, others don't get why some think it is so great. I'm obviously not trying to shit on UIUC, I did almost choose it but in the end I couldn't leave Notre Dame for a comparatively small amount of money. I would agree the schools are pretty much peers, but I think UIUC's advantage in Chicago is overstated because of the pure numbers. There is a solid ND alumni base in Chicago as well.

UIUC isn't "better" than Notre Dame (or if it is, it isn't by much). It's just cheaper by a not insignificant margin. That's the reason this decision is pretty easy (unless OP just loves ND so much that they can't imagine spending 3 years in Champaign, and will cry themselves to sleep every night wishing they were in the stands watching the Irish lose to Navy).

And even if ND and UIUC had equal law school alumni in Chicago (which I doubt), the sheer number of UIUC undergrads in the area gives it a boost as well. I'll bet most law firm partners in Chicago went to UIUC for law school/undergrad, or married someone who did, or has a kid who goes there now. What does that mean for jerbs? I honestly have no idea. But if we're just talking alumni or "brand" of the school, I think UIUC takes Chicago pretty handily.

+1

And also, I doubt anyone who would enjoy Notre Dame would be miserable at U of I barring an extreme desire to be around an aura of Catholicism/what Romo said. South Bend and Champaign are equally in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 pm

czelede wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1

And also, I doubt anyone who would enjoy Notre Dame would be miserable at U of I barring an extreme desire to be around an aura of Catholicism/what Romo said. South Bend and Champaign are equally in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere.

I'll concur with this, and in the interest of intellectual honesty, admit that I actually like Champaign far better than South Bend. South Bend is truly awful, especially in February.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Champaign isn't a terrible place to spend 3 years. Because of the massive graduate programs, and number of undergrads who get stuck there for their mid 20's, there are tons of people 22-30 hanging around CU.

Not to mention law school seems pretty insular. You end up making a tons of friends in your school. So as long as there are places to hang out, I doubt the law school experience is all that different, no matter where you are.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Notre Dame if you're Irish, UIUC if you're not.

Even if you aren't irish, unofficial St. Patrick's day at Illinois >> Notre Dame

+1

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 am

czelede wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1

Is Champaigne really as small/sad/depressing as South Bend?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 am

LOL at these posts about Champaign and South Bend. Yeah, if you absolutely have to be in a major city, SB is probably not for you. But if you're like most people and you don't, South Bend has most everything you could need while attending law school.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:LOL at these posts about Champaign and South Bend. Yeah, if you absolutely have to be in a major city, SB is probably not for you. But if you're like most people and you don't, South Bend has most everything you could need while attending law school.

No one disagrees with that. But we're not looking at a school in Chicago vs. South Bend. The point is that Champaign and South Bend have pretty much the same to offer as college towns (exactly that and nothing more: a college town).

enron123

Postby enron123 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

Is Champaigne really as small/sad/depressing as South Bend?

I decided to attend UIUC and didn't find it to be. Thought the social life seemed fine for what it was and to be honest I kind of like the idea of being able to study on a Friday or saturday without being tormented by the awesome things I could be doing in a real city.

Decent bars though and a few that catered to the older (read not underage and sloshed) crowd. That being said I didn't visit during winter which must be awful.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”