Cornell @ 50k/year (full) tuition v Texas @ 25k/year tuition

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the better option?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Cornell @ 50k/year (full) tuition
40%
Texas @ 25k/year tuition
60%

Total votes: 20

veruca salt

Cornell @ 50k/year (full) tuition v Texas @ 25k/year tuition

Postby veruca salt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I thought I'd ask for opinions anyway since my particulars are a little different from other applicants I've seen.

- I'm not at all interested in working in the private sector. I'd prefer public interest or government work, preferably on the federal (international??) rather than state level. I guess right now my goal might be to secure a good clerkship or government position upon graduation.

- I have Texas ties, but I don't think I'd want to work to Texas (although I'm not ruling it out). So "portability" is particularly important for me.

- I prefer the smaller class size at Cornell.

- Finally, RE: Ithaca--I'm accustomed to bad weather. And not really interested in fun, nightlife, etc

So basically, are the long-term prospects and hiring advantages outside of Texas great enough to merit the difference in tuition? Is name-brand even a factor when considering public interest and government work? Texas seems to place pretty well in terms of clerkships.

Cornell was a top choice but Texas threw a wrench in my plans with some money. I really wanted Cornell, but some might say it's crazy to pay double tuition if I don't want "Big Law"... I'm a recent admit so I'm assuming no aid at this point. I only have a few days to decide. Thanks for your input.

mrwarre85

Re: Cornell @ 50k/year (full) tuition v Texas @ 25k/year tuition

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 pm

veruca salt wrote:I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I thought I'd ask for opinions anyway since my particulars are a little different from other applicants I've seen.

- I'm not at all interested in working in the private sector. I'd prefer public interest or government work, preferably on the federal (international??) rather than state level. I guess right now my goal might be to secure a good clerkship or government position upon graduation.

- I have Texas ties, but I don't think I'd want to work to Texas (although I'm not ruling it out). So "portability" is particularly important for me.

- I prefer the smaller class size at Cornell.

- Finally, RE: Ithaca--I'm accustomed to bad weather. And not really interested in fun, nightlife, etc

So basically, are the long-term prospects and hiring advantages outside of Texas great enough to merit the difference in tuition? Is name-brand even a factor when considering public interest and government work? Texas seems to place pretty well in terms of clerkships.

Cornell was a top choice but Texas threw a wrench in my plans with some money. I really wanted Cornell, but some might say it's crazy to pay double tuition if I don't want "Big Law"... I'm a recent admit so I'm assuming no aid at this point. I only have a few days to decide. Thanks for your input.

I live in Austin with UT Law students and Cornell was my top choice, so this thread seemed interesting. I would take UT if it was that much cheaper, but you seem to have a few different priorities. I mean, UT is like Harvard for the state of Texas, but you have said you would prefer federal work and want portability. Honestly both schools can give you what you want. Just focus on getting that federal gig from day one at either school and you will have great options. I'm a huge fan of either place.

If you "really want" Cornell, then you should do it because you only live once. Dunno both good options. I'm not voting...

veruca salt

Postby veruca salt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 pm

after a long and agonizing decision process i'm going to texas... thanks to mrwarre85 and those who voted.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Texas seems to be the obvious answer based on your priorities. Less debt = more freedom.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”