New England Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ajscalingi

New England Schools

Postby ajscalingi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi guys, I am the process of narrowing my scope of schools, and have come up with Boston College, Northeastern, Boston University, Suffolk, UMaine and UNH Law. With that said, any current students at any of these schools who could share their experiences, good/bad would be an enormous help. Also, any pointers on maximizing chances for acceptance to any of these schools would be great as well!

Thanks a lot.

-Andrew

Danteshek

Re: New England Schools

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 pm

GPA/LSAT?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am

Danteshek wrote:GPA/LSAT?

His numbers are in his profile, and unfortunately they look like they're going to keep him out of BU/BC and Northeastern, unless he retakes and goes up a good amount.

OP, you have a good shot at Suffolk. Maine doesn't have a lot of data points, but you're at the LSAT median (LinkRemoved), so you should have a decent chance. Franklin Pierce/UNH also looks possible.

If you could say a little more about what your goals are (firm work, government, public interest, whether you just want Boston or would be fine in other New England locales, etc.) it could help give advice. But for now it looks like you might be looking at UNH, UMaine, and Suffolk.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:40 am

Do you think you could score better on the LSAT? If you think you can I would retake.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am

naterj wrote:Do you think you could score better on the LSAT? If you think you can I would retake.

Actually, looking at OP's post history, it seems like he's hunkering down for a retake, so it's probably a yes to that, which is good.

OP, if you hit 162, Northeastern will probably be in the equation. It'll take at least a 166 for BU/BC, probably higher with that GPA (BC probably slightly more friendly to lower GPA applicants, but still not particularly easy for them).

I know this wasn't a "what are my chances" thread, but a "tell me about these schools" thread. If you have any specific BC questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure there's some BU students floating around here too who are willing to answer. I don't think we have too many posters from the other schools here, unfortunately.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:00 am

OP, I sent you a very long PM with my thoughts before looking at your numbers :oops:

If a retake is not possible, then you're probably in the running for UMaine, Suffolk, and UNH. If you choose Maine or UNH, please do so with the idea that you will most likely find your first job in Maine or NH, not Boston.

I'd still suggest adding UConn (maybe PT?) to your list: http://uconn.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

There's not a lot of data points there, but a 156 / 3.2 did get in this year. If you're a CT resident, in-state is cheap. If you're an MA/VT/NH/RI resident, you also get a discounted "New England" tuition rate and most people from anywhere can get in-state tuition after 1L.

Even with a retake, BC / BU will be challenging with a GPA below 3.5, but a score in the high 160s/170s could give you a shot.

Good luck!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 am

ajscalingi wrote:Hi guys, I am the process of narrowing my scope of schools, and have come up with Boston College, Northeastern, Boston University, Suffolk, UMaine and UNH Law. With that said, any current students at any of these schools who could share their experiences, good/bad would be an enormous help. Also, any pointers on maximizing chances for acceptance to any of these schools would be great as well!

Thanks a lot.

-Andrew

I can tell you that the bolded are poor choices whether you're instate or not; even if you want to practice there either 1) no one is hiring or 2) there are too many better schools or candidates from that area at better schools.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Why not UConn?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”