Some hiring data by states (NALP)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:00 am

I figured it might help to look at NALP data for entry level position and SA positions by state to get a clearer picture of where things are going in each market. Here's the Data.

Biggest Gains in SA's for 2011

1. IL* 49% 309 -> 459.5
2. NY 27% 1,868 -> 2,370
3. MA 26% 322 -> 407
4. FL 22% 74 -> 90
5. DC 19% 635 -> 756.5
6. CA 15% 946.5 -> 1090
7. TX 8% 480 -> 519

*For some firms there's only the multi-form available, this only makes a large impact on Illinois' data. However, with the multi-form firm removed, the growth rate is still 37%.

Entry Level Hiring Changes for 2011**

1. DC -1% 568 -> 562.5
2. MA -1% 481 -> 476
3. NY -10% 2,358 -> 2,124.5
4. IL -21% 502 -> 396.5
5. CA -26% 863 -> 637
6. TX -33% 388 -> 261
7. FL -42% 115 -> 66.5

** Firms with TBD have been excluded from this data since it comes out to 0 for 2011 hiring, even though their data suggests they'll clearly be hiring a substantial 2011 class

Just from a quick glance it looks like NY and MA are the markets with the strongest data, their 2011 entry level classes weren't hit too hard but they still had some of the largest gains this summer. For a more official analysis it might help to look at market saturation, which I'm currently looking into.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 am

Awesome. Thanks! Btw, why do you think some are not integers? Split positions?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am

scammedhard wrote:Awesome. Thanks! Btw, why do you think some are not integers? Split positions?


They gave a range and I averaged it (ie 20-25 = 22.5)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:18 am

Makes sense that Chicago would have a larger upswing. It's been shit, PURE SHIT for two years straight.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am

Go Chicago!

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:Makes sense that Chicago would have a larger upswing. It's been shit, PURE SHIT for two years straight.


Yeah I was a little surprised that their 2010 SA class was even smaller than Boston's, considering relative size and market saturation.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Makes sense that Chicago would have a larger upswing. It's been shit, PURE SHIT for two years straight.


Yeah I was a little surprised that their 2010 SA class was even smaller than Boston's, considering relative size and market saturation.


Chicago's SA class went from 800 to 250. Assuming 400 of the 450 are Chicago (likely), we're still talking half of the boom numbers.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:02 pm

2011 means people who are SA's right now right?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:2011 means people who are SA's right now right?


Yessir. How NALP has the data so quickly who knows.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:2011 means people who are SA's right now right?


Yessir. How NALP has the data so quickly who knows.


Aren't these just estimates from the last time they filled out their NALP form?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Makes sense that Chicago would have a larger upswing. It's been shit, PURE SHIT for two years straight.


Yeah I was a little surprised that their 2010 SA class was even smaller than Boston's, considering relative size and market saturation.


Chicago's SA class went from 800 to 250. Assuming 400 of the 450 are Chicago (likely), we're still talking half of the boom numbers.


Nonetheless, it is still better. Hopefully 2012 sees a continued improvement.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby GMVarun » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

This is great. Thanks for doing this.

Just a suggestion: since almost all of these are a legal market in themselves, it would be helpful if you could split CA into LA/OC/SD and Bay Area (SF/Palo Alto/OAK/SJ/Menlo Park).

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:07 pm

@ NYC law: you should be booted from this forum; only negative and pessimistic posts about the economy are allowed :P

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:@ NYC law: you should be booted from this forum; only negative and pessimistic posts about the economy are allowed :P

Considering that law schools have completely polluted their data and made it impossible for us to properly assess "the law school adventure," I, for one, welcome ANY data relevant to our future careers, whether it might be considered negative or positive.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:01 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:@ NYC law: you should be booted from this forum; only negative and pessimistic posts about the economy are allowed :P


Compare to 2007 and it you'll see how shit it is.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby Sentry » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:@ NYC law: you should be booted from this forum; only negative and pessimistic posts about the economy are allowed :P


Compare to 2007 and it you'll see how shit it is.

TBF to quote DF, 2007 hiring was as anomalous as ITE.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Sentry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:@ NYC law: you should be booted from this forum; only negative and pessimistic posts about the economy are allowed :P


Compare to 2007 and it you'll see how shit it is.

TBF to quote DF, 2007 hiring was as anomalous as ITE.


Anomalous, kinda, but nearly nearly as much as now. T14's have never had this much trouble placing students.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.


Horrifying.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.


Horrifying.


I'm retarded.
Last edited by rayiner on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.


Horrifying.


95 of 309, so over 30%.


:lol: :lol:

Even better. Bottle of sunshine, Ray.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.


Horrifying.


95 of 309, so over 30%.


:lol: :lol:

Even better. Bottle of sunshine, Ray.


No, DF was right. I'm illiterate. It's 95 of 459.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:05 pm

rayiner wrote:No, DF was right. I'm illiterate. It's 95 of 459.


No matter, really. Point is, the two largest hiring law firms have soft GPA requirements I fall beneath. Gonna need to work hard to explain why I'm still a good candidate.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:06 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Jesus Kirkland + Sidley is like 25% of the market in Chicago.


Horrifying.


95 of 309, so over 30%.


:lol: :lol:

Even better. Bottle of sunshine, Ray.
Oh you want Chicago? Just do K&E's home office, bro, that's easy to get right?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Some hiring data by states (NALP)

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

stratocophic wrote:Oh you want Chicago? Just do K&E's home office, bro, that's easy to get right?


K&E= McDonalds of litigation. Not like DLA Piper. Go big or go home, baby.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], SolRs and 5 guests