UC Irvine Law - Provisionally Accredited

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gaucho

UC Irvine Law - Provisionally Accredited

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 pm

"On June 14, 2011, the ABA Council of the Section on Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar notified Dean Erwin Chemerinsky that the Law School fulfills the criteria necessary for provisional accreditation. The Council approved the April recommendation of the Accreditation Committee."

http://www.law.uci.edu/accreditation.html

guess we'll be seeing them next year on the rankings...where will they land?

anteater1

Re: UC Irvine Law - Provisionally Accredited

Postby anteater1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 am

Good to hear, unfortunately i'll be applying before the rankings come out so i'm curious as to what everyone thinks on this as well....

Casperrr

Postby Casperrr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:26 am

Given their LSAT range being 163-168 and GPA range being 3.34-3.76, I think they have a solid shot at being in the top 25 (based off numbers alone).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 am

Casperrr wrote:Given their LSAT range being 163-168 and GPA range being 3.34-3.76, I think they have a solid shot at being in the top 25 (based off numbers alone).

I'm more interested in how USNWR will deal with the academic reputation and lawyer and judge assessment parts of the ranking for UC Irvine, since it is a law school without an alumni network, without anyone having experience with their graduates, and without the lifespan necessary to develop any real reputation.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Casperrr wrote:Given their LSAT range being 163-168 and GPA range being 3.34-3.76, I think they have a solid shot at being in the top 25 (based off numbers alone).

I'm more interested in how USNWR will deal with the academic reputation and lawyer and judge assessment parts of the ranking for UC Irvine, since it is a law school without an alumni network, without anyone having experience with their graduates, and without the lifespan necessary to develop any real reputation.

Yup. Given that schools like GWU and ND have dropped 8+ places in one year over slip-ups in yield protection (acceptance rate counts for 2.5% of the total score), I think that UCI's "disadvantage" in lawyer/judge rating (which counts for 15% of the total score) will sink them for certain.

And frankly, I'm not entirely convinced that they'll have a T25 peer review rating (25%), which a lot of ppl seem to be taking as a given. Things change very, very slowly in the minds of law professors.

Edit: And bear in mind that these slip-ups in acceptance rate weren't mega-slips (i.e., "oops, we accidentally admitted everyone who applied"). Even a slight rise (IIRC, like 10-15%) in a category that's barely given any weight in the first place causes a notable drop, suggesting that the USNWR rankings are pretty sensitive.

idfatq

Postby idfatq » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am

flcath wrote:Yup. Given that schools like GWU and ND have dropped 8+ places in one year over slip-ups in yield protection (acceptance rate counts for 2.5% of the total score), I think that UCI's "disadvantage" in lawyer/judge rating (which counts for 15% of the total score) will sink them for certain.

And frankly, I'm not entirely convinced that they'll have a T25 peer review rating (25%), which a lot of ppl seem to be taking as a given. Things change very, very slowly in the minds of law professors.

Edit: And bear in mind that these slip-ups in acceptance rate weren't mega-slips (i.e., "oops, we accidentally admitted everyone who applied"). Even a slight rise (IIRC, like 10-15%) in a category that's barely given any weight in the first place causes a notable drop, suggesting that the USNWR rankings are pretty sensitive.

im guessing you go to a school ranked between 20 and 30.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 am

idfatq wrote:
flcath wrote:Yup. Given that schools like GWU and ND have dropped 8+ places in one year over slip-ups in yield protection (acceptance rate counts for 2.5% of the total score), I think that UCI's "disadvantage" in lawyer/judge rating (which counts for 15% of the total score) will sink them for certain.

Yup. I troll fairly heavily against UCI here, not because I have anything wrong with them, but because someone has to counter the absurd claims that you guys have been making over the past 2 years.

(Absurd, not so much in the sense that it's impossible that UCI will debut highly--and they certainly have a T25 caliber student body--but just in the nauseatingly unsupported confidence that seems to back these claims. It's like the way Cartman talks mad shit about Wendy while making sure that the rules prohibit them from ever being able to actually fight.)

Now that they will be ranked, there's no need to troll against them: UCI, though currently a Tier 5 ultra-toilet, will finally either have to put up or STFU come next spring.

Salty

Postby Salty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 am

flcath wrote:
idfatq wrote:

Yup. I troll fairly heavily against UCI here, not because I have anything wrong with them, but because someone has to counter the absurd claims that you guys have been making over the past 2 years.

(Absurd, not so much in the sense that it's impossible that UCI will debut highly--and they certainly have a T25 caliber student body--but just in the nauseatingly unsupported confidence that seems to back these claims. It's like the way Cartman talks mad shit about Wendy while making sure that the rules prohibit them from ever being able to actually fight.)

Now that they will be ranked, there's no need to troll against them: UCI, though currently a Tier 5 ultra-toilet, will finally either have to put up or STFU come next spring.

I'm fairly certain this thread about UCI's ranking is a bit premature. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a school has to be fully accredited before it can be ranked.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:13 am

Salty wrote:
flcath wrote:
idfatq wrote:

I'm fairly certain this thread about UCI's ranking is a bit premature. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a school has to be fully accredited before it can be ranked.

Sigh. Another year of insecure UCI student trolling...

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am

Are we asking this for curiosity's sake? Next year's USNWR rank really shouldn't matter in this case, because now that it's accredited the school will have to take some time to build up it's reputation and alumni network in order to get it's graduates good placements.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:Are we asking this for curiosity's sake? Next year's USNWR rank really shouldn't matter in this case, because now that it's accredited the school will have to take some time to build up it's reputation and alumni network in order to get it's graduates good placements.

You clearly have missed some of claims made both on TLS and elsewhere re: UCI's initial ranking.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 am

flcath wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:Are we asking this for curiosity's sake? Next year's USNWR rank really shouldn't matter in this case, because now that it's accredited the school will have to take some time to build up it's reputation and alumni network in order to get it's graduates good placements.

You clearly have missed some of claims made both on TLS and elsewhere re: UCI's initial ranking.

Yes. I definitely feel like there's something going on in this thread that I'm not in on.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:46 pm

just thought this was funny...

One Million dollars of debt is not too far fetched actually.

I owe 300K and there is absolutely no way I can catch up to it barring a lottery win. And it just keeps growing and growing with every passing year.

My parents sure as hell aren't going to leave me money either because they don't have any.

For sure I will be buried in a potters field. I am certain of that now.

I see that Nando has listed the price of books at 1900 bucks.

Jesus Christ, if I had 1900 bucks to simply crap away, as these kids are doing on law books, I'd do some x-mas shopping, or better yet, but a plot in a cmetary, or maybe pay in advance for a cremation--worthless indebted piece of of shit life that I am.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”