Hastings v. BC/BU v. Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings v. BU/BC v. Fordham

Hastings (stay)
30%
BU/BC
50%
Fordham
20%

Total votes: 10

lawstudento

New

Hastings v. BC/BU v. Fordham

Post by lawstudento » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Assuming 2 years of full cost, CA residency.

I'm a 1L at Hastings, looking at moving for a change of location (thusly constraining to Boston/NY, but also better job prospects. The real-world data seems to show that the bay area job market is rough and that Hastings isn't doing better than the market.

I'm considering whether an application is worth it to these schools, as I'm applying to transfer higher up, but want a safer shot as I'm starting to feel antsy about job prospects in the bay area. I'm not leaving any scholarship, moot court, or journal behind.

Are BU/BC or Fordham going to be relatively better off given the similar or the same circumstances?

The employment data at BC/BU seem to be better than Hastings, and Fordham seems to be around the same or a bit better, but with substantially higher cost.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Hastings v. BC/BU v. Fordham

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:54 pm

I suggest reposting your question here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm

bk187 wrote:I suggest reposting your question here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27
This isn't a question addressing whether to transfer, given class rank or anything.

This is a question about the legal employment from particular schools, in other words: choosing a law school.

I figured this is the more appropriate forum.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

lawstudento wrote:
bk187 wrote:I suggest reposting your question here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27
This isn't a question addressing whether to transfer, given class rank or anything.

This is a question about the legal employment from particular schools, in other words: choosing a law school.

In a way yes, but those in the transfer forum are current students and they would be better at assessing how a transfer would fare at one of these schools whereas most people here will give you the perspective of how an incoming student should judge the school.

There are things like connections to professors, making law review, etc that factor into the transfer question that 0L's like myself aren't going to be able to give meaningful advice on.

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
lawstudento wrote:

In a way yes, but those in the transfer forum are current students and they would be better at assessing how a transfer would fare at one of these schools whereas most people here will give you the perspective of how an incoming student should judge the school.

There are things like connections to professors, making law review, etc that factor into the transfer question that 0L's like myself aren't going to be able to give meaningful advice on.
I'm not going to be on LR or moot court at my current school. I don't have any particular connections with faculty.

I'm more of a blank slate than others in my position, I believe.

I know transfers are looked at someone differently, but I'm looking at the prospects of a student/graduate in the market that did relatively well, didn't get an OCI job, and is looking for work with firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”