Case Western or Syracuse?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Case Western
67%
Syracuse
33%

Total votes: 18

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 am

I am really interested in Case Western's international law offerings (more specifically in international criminal law), which the school seems to be quite well focused in and the head of the international law center has strong connections with professionals in the field. I would love to work abroad at some point, but don't know how realistic that is. If that doesn't work out, I think I would want to work in New York state but am open to other possibilities as well. Both schools, have given me some great offers; however, for 3 years at SU I would only have to pay around $38k, whereas at CWRU I would pay about $80k. When visiting both places I felt more comfortable at CWRU than SU. I need to make a decision asap.

Any thoughts or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Helmholtz

Re: Case Western or Syracuse?

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 am

Forget international criminal law.

What your decisions should look like:

Do you want to live in Cleveland?

Yes -> Are you sure? Yes -> You know that Lebron isn't there anymore, right? Yes, I still want to go -> Would you rather live in New York State? No -> Go to Case, but don't expect a decent job when you get out.
Yes -> Are you sure? Yes -> You know that Lebron isn't there anymore, right? Yes, I still want to go -> Would you rather live in New York State? Yes -> Go to Syracuse, but don't expect a decent job when you get out.
No -> Would you want to live in New York State? No -> Choose another law school or don't go
No -> Would you want to live in New York State? Yes -> Go to Syracuse, but don't expect a decent job when you get out.

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 am

bigdecisions wrote:I am really interested in Case Western's international law offerings (more specifically in international criminal law), which the school seems to be quite well focused in and the head of the international law center has strong connections with professionals in the field. I would love to work abroad at some point, but don't know how realistic that is. If that doesn't work out, I think I would want to work in New York state but am open to other possibilities as well. Both schools, have given me some great offers; however, for 3 years at SU I would only have to pay around $38k, whereas at CWRU I would pay about $80k. When visiting both places I felt more comfortable at CWRU than SU. I need to make a decision asap.

Any thoughts or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You know that area of law you want to study and that school that appeals to you? Don't go because Helmholtz says so.

bogart

Postby bogart » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 am

If you want to live in NY, and Cuse offered you the better deal, then why not go to Cuse?
Also, international law comes in only a few varieties; namely govt jobs (state, cia, etc..) or large international corporate transactions. Either one will focus more on grades and caliber of school (ie yale) than they will on your courseload. Good luck, and don't worry, if you apply yourself you will get a legal job from either one of these schools, it just won't be for 160k.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 am

bogart wrote:If you want to live in NY, and Cuse offered you the better deal, then why not go to Cuse?
Also, international law comes in only a few varieties; namely govt jobs (state, cia, etc..) or large international corporate transactions. Either one will focus more on grades and caliber of school (ie yale) than they will on your courseload. Good luck, and don't worry, if you apply yourself you will get a legal job from either one of these schools, it just won't be for 160k.

Honestly, I visited Cuse twice and just was not as impressed with the school compared to other schools I visited. Also, I am somewhat dismayed by Cuse's low ranking of 100.

Also, I want to have a govt job (state, cia, etc...). I am not interested in any kind of corporate law. I know I will not get a job paying anywhere near 160k in the areas I am interested in and am fine with this.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 am

I voted for Case Western Reserve because you have a solid reason to attend law school there versus no reason--other than that you were accepted--to attend Syracuse.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 am

CanadianWolf wrote: voted for Case Western Reserve because you have a solid reason to attend law school there versus no reason--other than that you were accepted--to attend Syracuse.

Yeah, my reason for attending SU is solely based on money (they offered me a full ride--the prices listed above 38k for SU and 80k for Case factor in living costs for the 3 years). However, SU does have the counterterrorism institute, which sounds like something I would be interested in. But I feel like overall, Case offers many more opportunities for those interested in international criminal law.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:23 am

Unfortunately, I was distracted while reading your original post. The cost difference is substantial & the counter-terrorism school may lead to some unusual opportunities. Syracuse looks pretty attractive based on cost & your newly shared interest in the counter terrorism school. If you are willing to attend Syracuse, then ask CWR for additional funds since they are having some difficulty filling their class this year without offering substantial scholarship aid with no stips.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:30 am

The rankings difference between these two doesn't mean shit. After the elite schools cost, location, and reputation of school in said location are all that matter.

I'd take Cuse because the difference in cost is pretty substantial when factoring in interest over a 10-year repayment plan.

bogart

Postby bogart » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 am

Also, if you want to get a dual degree in international relations than cuse is obvious choice as maxwell is one of the best schools in the country. The law school actually does a lot with international war tribunal stuff because some of the professors actually work in the field. Still, if you are not going to be happy somewhere than maybe case is better choice for you.

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am

bogart wrote:Also, if you want to get a dual degree in international relations than cuse is obvious choice as maxwell is one of the best schools in the country. The law school actually does a lot with international war tribunal stuff because some of the professors actually work in the field. Still, if you are not going to be happy somewhere than maybe case is better choice for you.

+1. Going to Syracuse Law to do this.

bigdecisions

Postby bigdecisions » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

Also, I worked as a paralegal for a year in Upstate NY and have developed good connections with many attorneys so I feel like if I went to Case and decided I wanted to come back to NYS, I would still have the ability to do so. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out if the location of these schools really matters that much.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

bigdecisions wrote:Also, I worked as a paralegal for a year in Upstate NY and have developed good connections with many attorneys so I feel like if I went to Case and decided I wanted to come back to NYS, I would still have the ability to do so. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out if the location of these schools really matters that much.

I'm not sure if working a year as a paralegal and getting to know some attorneys can make up for the regionality of Case.

Also, it's fine if international criminal law or counterterrorism interests you and you would enjoy taking classes, but non-elite law schools pretty much just use those types of programs as shiny bait to attract paying law students. You really shouldn't expect to get a job in that field post-graduation.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 pm

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)
After reading his posts about the wanting to be in the CIA, having an interest in international criminal law and Syracuse's counterterrorism institute, I'm calling flame. Or he thinks he's Jack Bauer.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm

mrtoren wrote:--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)
After reading his posts about the wanting to be in the CIA, having an interest in international criminal law and Syracuse's counterterrorism institute, I'm calling flame. Or he thinks he's Jack Bauer.

I actually think some schools do a semi-decent job of advertising things like their INSTITUTE OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TERRORISM, which will teach you how to CHANGE THE WORLD (actual quote from Syracuse's webpage). And I hate to pick on Syracuse, but when you offer ten examples of alumni who are "changing the world," I'm not sure working for Deloitte or writing one op-ed for Hudson Valley's Times Herald-Record is what people have in mind.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Attending Case and getting on the good side of a certain professor will at least give you a very good chance at landing an internship with an international tribunal. Most everyone I knew that wanted some sort of international law internship (tribunals included) got one, but living abroad for a summer can get pretty expensive when you are already taking out loans. I am voting for Case b/c it will give you best opportunity to find out that international law is not what you think it is.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I actually think some schools do a semi-decent job of advertising things like their INSTITUTE OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TERRORISM, which will teach you how to CHANGE THE WORLD (actual quote from Syracuse's webpage). And I hate to pick on Syracuse, but when you offer ten examples of alumni who are "changing the world," I'm not sure working for Deloitte or writing one op-ed for Hudson Valley's Times Herald-Record is what people have in mind.

Joe Biden?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Joe Biden?

Tbf, this random law grad working at Deloitte is probably changing the world more than Biden.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”