Davis Hastings or Pepperdine?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Davis - awaiting financial aid info
22%
Hastings 11k Grant 10k Scholly 3.0 GPA stip on scholly
67%
Pepperdine 25k Scholly top 1/3 stip
11%

Total votes: 27

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Davis Hastings or Pepperdine? Trying to go big Law if I don't get off the Notre Dame Waitlist
Last edited by thebauss on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Davis Hastings or Pepperdine?

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Not Pepperdine.

Edit: The $ difference is negligible. Go with the higher ranked school.
Last edited by 071816 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 pm

You're going to have a marginal shot at biglaw with either Davis or Hastings (Don't go to Pepperdine.)

Both schools are drastically different but offer roughly the same employment opportunities.

Get back to us when you financial aid info for Davis. I'm guessing you're a California resident?

Both Davis and Hastings are EXPENSIVE! Even with the Hastings grant/scholarship you're looking at ~$120,000 worth of debt :( :( :(

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Yes I am a CA resident and am hoping to get the financial aid info asap(anyone have experience with how long they take?)

I was thinking the 23rd ranking of Davis would make it the clear favorite and the employment numbers look alot better. Does it place all throughout CA? Specifically Southern California. I assumed i'll have a better shot in LA with davis over Hastings.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 am

thebauss wrote:Thanks for the quick feedback.

Yes I am a CA resident and am hoping to get the financial aid info asap(anyone have experience with how long they take?)

I was thinking the 23rd ranking of Davis would make it the clear favorite and the employment numbers look alot better. Does it place all throughout CA? Specifically Southern California. I assumed i'll have a better shot in LA with davis over Hastings.

Would you prefer to live in a city or live on a farm for three years?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 am

jump_man wrote:

Egregious anti-Davis trolling

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 am

chimp wrote:
jump_man wrote:

Especially when 'live in a city' means 'go to school in the Tenderloin.'

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 am

thebauss wrote:I was thinking the 23rd ranking of Davis would make it the clear favorite and the employment numbers look alot better. Does it place all throughout CA? Specifically Southern California. I assumed i'll have a better shot in LA with davis over Hastings.

This is not a sound assumption and your post suggests you should do more research beyond looking at the most recent USNWR ranking. If I were you, I'd decide this based on the feel you get after visiting the schools you should be deciding between (i.e. Hastings and Davis) and finances.

But there's no evidence that employment prospects out of Hastings and Davis are significantly different in general, inc. for SoCal. FWIW, there're threads on TLS citing stats and claiming that Hastings still has better real employment numbers presumably due to its long history and past higher rank, but I don't really think there's a real difference.

Keep in mind that Davis' current high rank is very recent and is largely due to spurious self-reported employment numbers that just about everyone agrees are fudged. Look at some of the other threads on TLS for links to references and for the debate, but for the recent USNWR ranking at least, Davis claimed higher employment than Cal and UCLA...

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 am

sundance95 wrote:
chimp wrote:
jump_man wrote:

Especially when 'live in a city' means 'go to school in the Tenderloin.'

Yes, yes, caught red handed 8) . . . but we can all agree that Hastings and Davis are significantly different environments, a difference that may significantly influence some candidates to choose one over the other. It's definitely something to keep in mind, especially considering there is little practical difference between the job prospects of these schools.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 pm

BigLaw?

go w/ cheapest option, lower expectations

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Borhas wrote:BigLaw?

go w/ cheapest option, lower expectations

Amen.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”