Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 am

If you were to loose this scholar ship would you loose it after your first semester or at the end of 1L?

Avon Barksdale
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm

jarofsoup wrote:If you were to loose this scholar ship would you loose it after your first semester or at the end of 1L?



at the end of the year.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:If you were to loose this scholar ship would you loose it after your first semester or at the end of 1L?



at the end of the year.



A while ago, I tried to maybe negotiate the scholarship stips away at BLS and they weren't having it

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

Could you please give us more info about the "gradual downgrading" of the scholarship? What are the benchmarks for reduction? Thanks.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby afc1910 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

Robespierre wrote:Could you please give us more info about the "gradual downgrading" of the scholarship? What are the benchmarks for reduction? Thanks.


top 40% - 100% of the scholarship is retained;
40-50% - 75%;
50-65% - 50%;
below top 65% - lose it all.

Based on the merit renewal stats that BLS released, about 55% of the entering class retains 100% of their scholarship. About 25% lost all of their money (i.e. ended up in the bottowm 35%). This includes all scholarship offers, however large or small. If I recall correctly, about 1/2 of the entering class gets a scholarship for their first year.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm

afc1910 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Could you please give us more info about the "gradual downgrading" of the scholarship? What are the benchmarks for reduction? Thanks.


top 40% - 100% of the scholarship is retained;
40-50% - 75%;
50-65% - 50%;
below top 65% - lose it all.

Based on the merit renewal stats that BLS released, about 55% of the entering class retains 100% of their scholarship. About 25% lost all of their money (i.e. ended up in the bottowm 35%). This includes all scholarship offers, however large or small. If I recall correctly, about 1/2 of the entering class gets a scholarship for their first year.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.


Thanks very much for the info. It's a strict protocol, with narrow bands. Good chance of losing the scholly at least in part. I'd think of it, as a practical matter, as a 52K scholly in Year 1 and a 26K scholly in Years 2 and 3. If the total COA is 220K, that leaves you roughly 116K short.

If that shortfall is going to be borrowed, I think you might as well go even further into debt for Fordham, for the significantly better placement.

But if you can cover the shortfall with family resources (i.e., family money and/or a place to live with your family so as to eliminate living expenses), Brooklyn is the choice. There's a lot to be said for zero debt; it's the risk-adverse move.

In other words, either go all in or don't gamble at all.

Avon Barksdale
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Avon Barksdale » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 am

Robespierre wrote:
afc1910 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Could you please give us more info about the "gradual downgrading" of the scholarship? What are the benchmarks for reduction? Thanks.


top 40% - 100% of the scholarship is retained;
40-50% - 75%;
50-65% - 50%;
below top 65% - lose it all.

Based on the merit renewal stats that BLS released, about 55% of the entering class retains 100% of their scholarship. About 25% lost all of their money (i.e. ended up in the bottowm 35%). This includes all scholarship offers, however large or small. If I recall correctly, about 1/2 of the entering class gets a scholarship for their first year.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.


Thanks very much for the info. It's a strict protocol, with narrow bands. Good chance of losing the scholly at least in part. I'd think of it, as a practical matter, as a 52K scholly in Year 1 and a 26K scholly in Years 2 and 3. If the total COA is 220K, that leaves you roughly 116K short.

If that shortfall is going to be borrowed, I think you might as well go even further into debt for Fordham, for the significantly better placement.

But if you can cover the shortfall with family resources (i.e., family money and/or a place to live with your family so as to eliminate living expenses), Brooklyn is the choice. There's a lot to be said for zero debt; it's the risk-adverse move.

In other words, either go all in or don't gamble at all.


I think that is very good advice. I'll be living with my parents and commuting, so COA is very, very limited.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:39 pm

This is a tough decision and you cant go wrong either way. A free law degree or a Fordham degree for 130k.

Id pick Fordham to leave doors open, but neither would be poor decision.

btr77
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby btr77 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:18 pm

I find myself in a very similar situation; 47k (full-ride essentially) to BLS and recently taken off Fordham's WL

I'm leaning towards taking the money, plus to change all my plans this far in the game seems a little tough. I was already guaranteed housing at Brooklyn.

Would anyone like to speak more on how you can get your $ back at BLS if you fall below? Is there a probationary semester or something?

Also, OP, just out of curiosity and fine if you don't want to answer, but how did you manage to get that additional 5k kicked on there?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:51 pm

This thread is just like the NDLS sticker vs SJU $$$ thread. TCR is retake/reapply, shoot for Fordham with $$$ or another T25 that places well in NYC (if things go really well, Cornell).

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:09 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:This thread is just like the NDLS sticker vs SJU $$$ thread. TCR is retake/reapply, shoot for Fordham with $$$ or another T25 that places well in NYC (if things go really well, Cornell).


Why would OP go to another T25 if they can live for free in NYC?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby dresden doll » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Take the money. Drop out if you're not within 40 percent at the end of 1L.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:This thread is just like the NDLS sticker vs SJU $$$ thread. TCR is retake/reapply, shoot for Fordham with $$$ or another T25 that places well in NYC (if things go really well, Cornell).


Why would OP go to another T25 if they can live for free in NYC?


Because Fordham is notoriously stingy with money. Not saying Fordham is not the #1, but if they don't give OP enough money as BC/BU/GW, might not be worth it.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

BLS Orientation has been pretty good I think

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:48 pm

I envy you. Except I would not have gone to LS.

areyouinsane
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby areyouinsane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I suggest a tour of King's Civil over on Livingston Street, where you can hobnob with the Brooklyn almus making 30 K a year handling landlord tenant or fender bender garbage. BLS has always been something of a laughingstock and generally regarded as a piss poor "school." Visit JDUnderground - there are tons of unemployed Crooklyn grads over there.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:This thread is just like the NDLS sticker vs SJU $$$ thread. TCR is retake/reapply, shoot for Fordham with $$$ or another T25 that places well in NYC (if things go really well, Cornell).



Fordham doesn't give $$$. And no other T25 (which Fordham isn't) places well in NYC---at least not like Fordham
Last edited by bigkahuna2020 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 pm

areyouinsane wrote:I suggest a tour of King's Civil over on Livingston Street, where you can hobnob with the Brooklyn almus making 30 K a year handling landlord tenant or fender bender garbage. BLS has always been something of a laughingstock and generally regarded as a piss poor "school." Visit JDUnderground - there are tons of unemployed Crooklyn grads over there.


At least this guy is going for free.

areyouinsane
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby areyouinsane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:08 pm

At least this guy is going for free.


The ? is will he have the sack to walk away after 1 L if he loses the scholly? This comical TTT also-ran isn't worth paying one red cent of your own $$$ for. Understand that if you're not one of the dozen or so kids who get OCI/Biglaw you'll be shopping an embarrassingly lousy TTT joke degree around the most competitive, saturated legal market in the world.

HTH

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:09 pm

areyouinsane wrote:I suggest a tour of King's Civil over on Livingston Street, where you can hobnob with the Brooklyn almus making 30 K a year handling landlord tenant or fender bender garbage. BLS has always been something of a laughingstock and generally regarded as a piss poor "school." Visit JDUnderground - there are tons of unemployed Crooklyn grads over there.

you're more full of shit than I am damn

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm

areyouinsane wrote:
At least this guy is going for free.


The ? is will he have the sack to walk away after 1 L if he loses the scholly? This comical TTT also-ran isn't worth paying one red cent of your own $$$ for. Understand that if you're not one of the dozen or so kids who get OCI/Biglaw you'll be shopping an embarrassingly lousy TTT joke degree around the most competitive, saturated legal market in the world.

HTH


Or working for city government. Which many BK grads do.

Actually, if you were interested in working for city gov't/legal aid, this is a GREAT opportunity for the OP to go to BLS.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:06 pm

areyouinsane wrote:
At least this guy is going for free.


The ? is will he have the sack to walk away after 1 L if he loses the scholly? This comical TTT also-ran isn't worth paying one red cent of your own $$$ for. Understand that if you're not one of the dozen or so kids who get OCI/Biglaw you'll be shopping an embarrassingly lousy TTT joke degree around the most competitive, saturated legal market in the world.

HTH



I don't know what your story is but ITS OK!!!! ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!

Chippy
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Chippy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:10 pm

1. Areyouinsane is right most of the time and should be listened to more by clueless 0Ls.

2. I don't see the stip being a big problem as long as you aren't crazy delusional or have family pressures to save face. I would just drop out if you aren't in the Top 40 percent of your class. The full ride to my school is guaranteed regardless of circumstances and I would still drop out if I was not Top 40 or above.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby MrAnon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:26 pm

What are the few alums you know doing? I would advise against both schools, especially if you don't know what you want to be a lawyer for. Its way too expensive to be setting off for law school when you dont have a clear idea why you are going.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Fordham(Sticker) vs. Brooklyn Law 52k per year Scholarship

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Take Brooklyn, and if you lose the scholarship, drop out. Besides, Brooklyn isn't TTT. It's more like TT.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests