UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA (sticker) vs Emory (20k/yr)

UGA
76
43%
Emory
100
57%
 
Total votes: 176

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:18 am

WSJ_Law wrote:Respectfully, the UGA v. Emory scenario is a lot different than Tulane v. LSU. While it is true that they are superficially similar (Big State School vs. Best-In-State Private School), LSU is bordering upon T2 while UGA and Emory are separated by 5 ranking spots in the '30s. UGA Law students have clerked for the SCOTUS in recent years, place well in Atlanta, and are not as proportionally inferior statistically to Emory than LSU students are to Tulane. The Louisiana law school analogy is quite limited in this sense.

I had $60k from Emory and $5k at UGA (in-state applicant) and chose not to go to Emory. Why would UGA match scholarship offers at face-value when even UGA at sticker is still less expensive than some Emory scholarships (especially for GA residents)? I almost called UGA to try to leverage my Emory offer but after considering CoA, I realized my request didn't have a leg to stand on.

ITE, TCR = UGA if your goals are Atlanta. And I argue they should be. Going to either UGA or Emory with hopes set on NYC/DC/XYZ Biglaw is foolish. Go to Fordham/Dozo/GW/BU/BC/other regional for anything else. And the uncertainty about Emory's CSO, USNWR drop (trivial, but insofar as it is a product of employment it is not trivial), student (dis)satisfaction, and higher COL in Atlanta were enough to rule out Emory for me personally.

In short, Emory has a higher ceiling for USNWR rank/prestige/reputation over time but it may also have a lower floor in the short term. I think UGA is less volatile and more functionally appropriate if your goals are to become an attorney in Georgia. Emory needs to realize that to get the best GA residents, they will have to make it overtly less expensive to attend Emory than UGA; a $60,000 scholarship to Emory is still not as favorable when you can go to UGA for ~$45k total tuition costs/3yrs. and receive roughly equivalent, yet equally small, prospects in ATL biglaw.


And if you can't get a job in ATL from UGA, enjoy Macon/Warner Robins/Valdosta/Augusta/Columbus/Resaca/etc. Hell yeah.

waitingisfun
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby waitingisfun » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:57 am

You forgot about Savannah :) also awesome fried chicken .... But anyway, this statement is very misleading in my opinion. You are acting like if you got to Uga you "have" to stay in Georgia. Yes, Uga places very well in Georgia and the majority of graduates end up working in Georgia. However, I think this is largely due to the fact that students actually want to stay in Georgia (since 70% of the student body are Georgia residents) and Atlanta is a thriving legal city with many opportunities.

Uga is not just a state school though. It is a regional school. It can open doors for you all over the South east region.

In 2009 13 graduates were employed in D.C., 10 in Alabama, 7 in North Carolina, 3 California, 3 Tennessee, 2 South Carolina, 2 in Florida, 2 in Mississippi, etc... I think you get the point. These jobs in other states will not be handed to you on a silver platter like the Atlanta jobs but if you really want it Uga has a large enough alumni base to make moves into other states.

As it has been said a million times one advantage to Emory is that it has a presence in New York. Uga only had one person employed in New York in 2009.

Yes Emory has reach in the North East region but please don't try and act like Uga has no pull in other states in the South east region.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 am

Okay. Let's say UGA is just as good as Emory for Atlanta employment (big/mid law, state gov, fed gov satellite offices, and PI orgs), which it isn't. There is value in going to law school in the city you want to be in after graduation. Ask any 3L. This value is worth at least $30,000 more than a supposed "peer" school that's not.

Think about it. Once again, if attending Emory would cost $50K or so more, I wouldn't advocate it. But $30K is a perfectly reasonable premium to pay to 1) go to a better school and 2) to go to school in the city you want to be in after graduation.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:51 am

waitingisfun wrote:Uga is not just a state school though. It is a regional school. It can open doors for you all over the South east region.

In 2009 13 graduates were employed in D.C., 10 in Alabama, 7 in North Carolina, 3 California, 3 Tennessee, 2 South Carolina, 2 in Florida, 2 in Mississippi, etc... I think you get the point. These jobs in other states will not be handed to you on a silver platter like the Atlanta jobs but if you really want it Uga has a large enough alumni base to make moves into other states.


lol @ implying that ATL jobs will be handed to you on a silver platter.

As someone who is pretty familiar with the area and who was considering UGA myself, I wouldn't consider UGA a Southeast regional school. Example: I am from FL, right next door. UGA is "ranked" higher than FL. Yet no one I know thought UGA was a remotely a good idea if I was ever considering coming back. Not a "Oh, you're gonna have to hustle to find something." A full-blown "Do NOT go." When you go into interviews, they're gonna ask you why you went to a certain school. And trust me, you're gonna look pretty silly in a non-GA market if you say you went because you wanted to work somewhere other than GA.

But you can't tell people outside GA you went because you wanted to work in ATL either. The South has the most parochial markets in the nation. Have fun explaining during callbacks with USC/Ole Miss/UF/etc. grads why you want to work in their state, but you bolted for UGA. You're gonna have to overcome the stigma of "that guy who wanted a job in ATL, but couldn't get one." On top of that, you seem like a flight risk. It's not impossible, obviously, but here in FL, a generally less parochial state than SC, MS, etc. the degree isn't gonna turn any heads (at least) and will probably actively work against you. A couple of my friends are from SC, got to UGA, and can barely get interviews back home. A couple of my friends go there now, and generally have expressed than people trying to work out-of-state have a hell of a time. It's not merely just difficult.

Better hope there is an actual UGA alum in the actual interview.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 am

CanadianWolf wrote:By what standard is Emory considered a better law school than Georgia ? Thanks !


Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

By what standard are they peer schools? They are both in Georgia? In the case of the OP, if he knows he wants Georgia, you could got to either school and it wouldn't be a dumb move. Emory might get you a better job but UGA might attach you to a better network. If OP isn't sure if he will stay in GA, definitely Emory. Like Rad Law said, UGA will be tough in Tennessee, FL, NC, etc. Why did you go to a Georgia state school and then apply to our firm??? Oh because you couldn't hack it there. No one wonders this if you went to Vandy, Emory, or Tulane. You went to a very good private institution and now you are starting your career in Mississippi, terrific. Think down the road and how you want that name on your resume to frame you... As I said, if you don't want GA for sure then there is only one choice here-- Emory.

Lastly, as much as everyone cries "rankings don't matter," please examine whether you would still be screaming UGA == Emory if the latter were hadn't dropped ten spots in the last TWO years. They will be back at around 20, and you all will have forgotten about this while the OP is at UGA wondering about Big Law in ATL or maybe how he always wanted to practice in FL.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 pm

...
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:By what standard is Emory considered a better law school than Georgia ? Thanks !


Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

By what standard are they peer schools? They are both in Georgia? In the case of the OP, if he knows he wants Georgia, you could got to either school and it wouldn't be a dumb move. Emory might get you a better job but UGA might attach you to a better network. If OP isn't sure if he will stay in GA, definitely Emory. Like Rad Law said, UGA will be tough in Tennessee, FL, NC, etc. Why did you go to a Georgia state school and then apply to our firm??? Oh because you couldn't hack it there. No one wonders this if you went to Vandy, Emory, or Tulane. You went to a very good private institution and now you are starting your career in Mississippi, terrific. Think down the road and how you want that name on your resume to frame you... As I said, if you don't want GA for sure then there is only one choice here-- Emory.

Lastly, as much as everyone cries "rankings don't matter," please examine whether you would still be screaming UGA == Emory if the latter were hadn't dropped ten spots in the last TWO years. They will be back at around 20, and you all will have forgotten about this while the OP is at UGA wondering about Big Law in ATL or maybe how he always wanted to practice in FL.



LMAO at all of these people who've fallen for Emory's website/advertising! Emory is not Duke or even Vanderbilt (and frankly because of ITE firms will require high grades from those schools as well). It does not have some big reputation difference from UGA for working in an Atlanta firm. I repeat, all of the Atlanta biglaw firms will require sky high grades from either school--so sky high that any "difference" in required GPA will be so minimal as to be non important (i.e Alston may want top 15 percent from UGA but will take top 20 percent from Emory etc.). As far as Emory being more "national"-- this is true--but it only applies to those Emory students with tippity top grades. So yeah if you're top 10 percent + law review from Emory you will have a much better shot at getting a NYC or DC firm job from Emory than from UGA, but if you're basing which school to attend off of what might happen if you end up in the top 10 percent + on law review, well...

The bottom line is that for working in Atlanta there's not a significant difference, so you might as well go to the cheaper school. I hate to break it to you, but the title of this thread isn't UGA (sticker) vs. Duke ($$$) like you seem to think it is.


Cool that you didn't respond to any of this :

Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

I mean you did talk about anecdotal grade cutoffs so, got me there.

splittinghairs
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby splittinghairs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Actually, I think I want to change my vote for Emory in this situation.

Let's start by adjusting the COA difference slightly. COA for Emory would likely be 25k + 15k (COL) versus 15K + 12k (COL) at UGA. I think living in Atlanta will cost 10k more than living in Athens. So really we should be asking is 40k worth it to attend Emory?

On the one hand, the biggest fear about Emory is what's happening to the bottom of its class in comparison to UGA's:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Emory's Full-time employment is only 80% (UGA is at 85.7%). Even worse, Bar required full-time employment is only 69.8% (UGA, 80.4%).
It is concerning when over 30% of the class does not have a full-time bar required job. Getting a full-time bar required job should presumably be why everyone goes to Law school in the first place.
To me people tend to not focus on what happens to the bottom of the class because it is not as glamorous as describing what happens to the top of the class for Biglaw or A3 clerships. Yet, it seems that Emory grads have just as much chance to be one of the bottom 30% who cant even find full-time bar required employment as they do of attaining Biglaw or A3 (23.3% + 5%)

However, for all of the crap Emory's CSO takes on TLS about being manipulative or misleading, they actually do a relatively great job of collecting information on salary (whether or not one trusts self-reported salary is another matter).

Just compare these two Salary charts:
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

The difference is literally night and day. While both schools' 25th, median, and 75th private practice salary seem similar, Emory has 89% of its graduates reporting a salary compared to a anemic 50% of UGA graduates. In fact, 61.3% (UGA, 31.5%) of all graduates are represented by salary quartiles and 79.2% (50% for UGA) of all graduates have a known salary range, both of these figures are above the 90th percentile compared to the reporting of other law schools.

I must admit that this is surprising considering how much negative press Emory has generated for other reasons. Based on the disparity in the percentage of graduates reporting salary, I have to say that it is UGA's salary data that is extremely misleading, not Emory's. Because salary data has always been the most important consideration for me, I have to say that I would personally spend 40k more to attend Emory.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:54 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:By what standard is Emory considered a better law school than Georgia ? Thanks !


Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

By what standard are they peer schools? They are both in Georgia? In the case of the OP, if he knows he wants Georgia, you could got to either school and it wouldn't be a dumb move. Emory might get you a better job but UGA might attach you to a better network. If OP isn't sure if he will stay in GA, definitely Emory. Like Rad Law said, UGA will be tough in Tennessee, FL, NC, etc. Why did you go to a Georgia state school and then apply to our firm??? Oh because you couldn't hack it there. No one wonders this if you went to Vandy, Emory, or Tulane. You went to a very good private institution and now you are starting your career in Mississippi, terrific. Think down the road and how you want that name on your resume to frame you... As I said, if you don't want GA for sure then there is only one choice here-- Emory.

Lastly, as much as everyone cries "rankings don't matter," please examine whether you would still be screaming UGA == Emory if the latter were hadn't dropped ten spots in the last TWO years. They will be back at around 20, and you all will have forgotten about this while the OP is at UGA wondering about Big Law in ATL or maybe how he always wanted to practice in FL.



LMAO at all of these people who've fallen for Emory's website/advertising! Emory is not Duke or even Vanderbilt (and frankly because of ITE firms will require high grades from those schools as well). It does not have some big reputation difference from UGA for working in an Atlanta firm. I repeat, all of the Atlanta biglaw firms will require sky high grades from either school--so sky high that any "difference" in required GPA will be so minimal as to be non important (i.e Alston may want top 15 percent from UGA but will take top 20 percent from Emory etc.). As far as Emory being more "national"-- this is true--but it only applies to those Emory students with tippity top grades. So yeah if you're top 10 percent + law review from Emory you will have a much better shot at getting a NYC or DC firm job from Emory than from UGA, but if you're basing which school to attend off of what might happen if you end up in the top 10 percent + on law review, well...

The bottom line is that for working in Atlanta there's not a significant difference, so you might as well go to the cheaper school. I hate to break it to you, but the title of this thread isn't UGA (sticker) vs. Duke ($$$) like you seem to think it is.


Cool that you didn't respond to any of this :

Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

I mean you did talk about anecdotal grade cutoffs so, got me there.



For you not to realize how incredibly stupid this comment is, means that you have to be a 0L. Because the only thing that matters is "anecdotal grade cutoffs". Grade cutoffs mean that they will or won't hire you with a specific class rank. IE it's the only thing that matters. The bolded is also incredibly stupid since US News doesn't base their rankings on employment prospects much, if at all. I assure you, when you go into an interview or are bidding on firms, telling them that Emory is more "prestigious" than UGA and that should make up for you being median or below over an Emory student with top 1/3 grades, you will be laughed out of the interview. Or better yet, you won't even get the screening interview if you don't have the grades. The thing that's so scary is that some unknowing poster may take your advice thinking that they will be in a much safer positions--with more debt--by attending Emory instead of UGA, even though you have no idea what you're talking about.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:45 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
For you not to realize how incredibly stupid this comment is, means that you have to be a 0L. Because the only thing that matters is "anecdotal grade cutoffs". Grade cutoffs mean that they will or won't hire you with a specific class rank. IE it's the only thing that matters. The bolded is also incredibly stupid since US News doesn't base their rankings on employment prospects much, if at all. I assure you, when you go into an interview or are bidding on firms, telling them that Emory is more "prestigious" than UGA and that should make up for you being median or below over an Emory student with top 1/3 grades, you will be laughed out of the interview. Or better yet, you won't even get the screening interview if you don't have the grades. The thing that's so scary is that some unknowing poster may take your advice thinking that they will be in a much safer positions--with more debt--by attending Emory instead of UGA, even though you have no idea what you're talking about.


I never said grade cutoffs weren't important, I implied that your anecdotal info about a first job grade cuttoff from one firm wasn't representative of all the firms in ATL and does nothing to dispute the fact that Emory is a better school than UGA because of:

Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

30k for a better school = bad advice according to brucewayne? Ok brucewayne, you're probably 23 and are a 2L, so you know best.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 pm

I can't believe people argue for 3 pages about whether UGA sticker or Emory with money is better. Both are the same. They both provide top biglaw jobs to the top 5% of the class these days. Maybe the exceptional students in the top 10% will also get better jobs like biglaw. After that either school will turn into a major disappointment if you hoped to recoup your investment in short order. Emory is simply evening the playing field here by offering this particular person money. Overall both school aren't great options compared to an entry level job and chance of advancement. Flip a coin.
Last edited by MrAnon on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:05 pm

....
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:03 pm

anyone who argues one school over the other for any reason other than campus environment here is splitting hairs. The majority of students at both schools are in a bad situation, Emory maybe a little worse since most of the students are paying full freight. Why on earth anyone would choose a school out of the T10 when it is clear we are going into yet another economic downturn is beyond me.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:38 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:I never said grade cutoffs weren't important, I implied that your anecdotal info about a first job grade cuttoff from one firm wasn't representative of all the firms in ATL and does nothing to dispute the fact that Emory is a better school than UGA because of:

Emory has always had noticeable better employment. Emory has better employment now- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Emory is higher ranked and has more lay prestige. If you didn't think that mattered, you likely wouldn't be on TLS.

Judges and lawyers rank Emory significantly ahead of UGA. 3.9 -- 3.5

30k for a better school = bad advice according to brucewayne? Ok brucewayne, you're probably 23 and are a 2L, so you know best.



You keep posting the same links that don't prove anything about grade cutoffs for firms--the only data that really matters. What you fail to understand is that GPA cutoff is what matters for an individual student. EVERY biglaw firm in Atlanta has high grade hiring cutoffs for these 2 schools. That you don't know this relatively common information readily shows your ignorance on law firm hiring. Anyone actually in law school, unlike yourself, will tell you that these firms have very high grade cutoffs for the 2 schools. Further, you're making several, and juvenile, logical fallacies like bringing up my age as a way to discredit what I'm saying. My age (which you incorrectly guessed at that) doesn't impact whether I've had experience with the law firm hiring, while your 0L stature heavily impacts your basis of knowledge in regards to law firm hiring. In short, you have no idea what you're talking about. But that was pretty obvious from the start.



MrAnon wrote:I can't believe people argue for 3 pages about whether UGA sticker or Emory with money is better. Both are the same. They both provide top biglaw jobs to the top 5% of the class these days. Maybe the exception students in the top 10% will also get better jobs like biglaw. After that law school can turn into a major disappointment if you hoped to recoup your investment. Emory is simply evening the playing field here by offering this particular person money. Overall both school aren't great options compared to an entry level job and chance of advancement.


The assumption that you need to state is : " I think everyone is like me. " Or maybe it is far worse, something like " everyone should be like me. "

I don't want Biglaw. Even though this convo is taking place on TLS where it might seem like it is true, it is false to say the majority LS 0L's want and/or think Biglaw is possible. Based on the fact that I didn't talk about similar (or as you now claim, totally identical) grade cutoffs for ATL Biglaw for the two schools, and instead talked about how Emory grads are 1. paid more for what they know/can do 2. are considered superior by normal human beings (OMG they don't hire you = FAIL this has its advantages) and 3. are considered superior by people who ACTUALLY DO hire you seems to lead you to something like " Rahaharah OMG newb doesn't know about the CUTOFFS MAN!"

Huge assumption flaw.

I'm hoping that the fact that OP may not want Biglaw and could potential care about, oh say the quality of education he will receive in law school doesn't completely blow your mind. I have noticed some Biglaw or bust people on this site that seem to have sat through class after class in which the arguments of reasonable people who disagreed were covered without seeming to really get a grasp on that concept.

OP, if you want to be paid higher for what you do for a living (which may or may not be the case):

28% of Emory 09 grads made 145k or higher, compared to 14% of UGA grads making 130k or higher. This is actually a huge difference. Some of the reasons the pay is higher is likely because it is a better education or because the student body there is more impressive-- you may care about these things. Some people on this site (Emory haters or UGA fans..?) are going to tell you those numbers are higher because Emory places in markets that pay a higher base salary, but while that is a valid statement and it should be taken into account, the numbers past and present do not suggest that UGA = Emory for ATL. Only 22% of UGA grads in 09 had known private sector salaries out of UGA, compared to 40% at Emory. The number one market for both of these schools in ATL-- you make the needed deductions. Considering that, plus the fact that Emory likely has better, higher paid, professors teaching classes with more impressive students in the city you will probably work in would make the 30k difference totally worth it for me. However, reasonable people can have a plethora of personal preferences, so I wish you luck on congratulate you on both of your fine options.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Law school is a fool's errand if your goal is to emerge from it and not take a high paying job. Tuition is set high because of the high salaries biglaw offers.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 pm

....
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Further, you are officially outed as an 0L with the bolded statement! Lol quality of education! The quality of law school education is not the difference between high ranked schools and lower ranked schools! They all have the same general teaching quality--a poor one. As anyone in law school, and especially out of it will tell you, the law school classroom is not where you learn how to be a lawyer. Many professors have NEVER practiced law; some have never even passed a bar exam.


OMGG you have officially done something on this website!! WOWSERS!

Your position is ridiculous. No difference in the quality of education between Harvard and LSU? The ONLY thing they teach you in law school is how to be a lawyer? So many fails here.. Not even getting into it.

BruceWayne wrote:The supposed difference is in the "quality" of the students--as measured by GPA and LSAT.


The only objective measures. Fact, students who attend OU likely could not get into Yale. Want to flip that around? Students who get into UGA might be able to get into Emory, students who get into Emory more than likely got into UGA. One is harder to achieve, more selective, and yes, this matters to a lot of people.

BruceWayne wrote:FWIW there's a reason why the 2 posters who are actually in law school are giving a very different answer than you, the poster who has no experience.


Sample size flaw to hammer in a " I think everyone should have the same goals as me " assumption fail.

Unofficially, I hope you are book smart and go to a great law school because I think you are going to need that name on the resume to help you get a job.

nickwar
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby nickwar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:52 pm

My short answer: I got into both and went to uga. Extremely happy with my decision.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 pm

MrAnon wrote:Law school is a fool's errand if your goal is to emerge from it and not take a high paying job. Tuition is set high because of the high salaries biglaw offers.


Unless of course, you are already rich? Hmm.. Blanket statement fails again. Also no, tuition is high because of USNWR makes schools provide merit aid to a huge proportion of the class which bumps up tuition for the bottom, and for the basic supply and demand factors that affect everything in America which in this case is only effected in part by the high salaries in biglaw. Not a detailed enough analysis. Sorry I just am peeved by the blanket statements and the failure to respect different value systems on this thread; I want to be very precise here. There are LRAPs for those who don't want to take high paying jobs. Maybe more importantly-- There are people on earth who live very happy and fulfilled lives without a lot of money.

Law school is a fool's errand if your goal is to emerge from it and not take a high paying job? Super fail.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:26 am

You don't get the major point. The system is structured with corporate law in mind.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 am

MrAnon wrote:You don't get any of the points. The system is structured with corporate law in mind.


You're wasting your breath. He's an 0L who thinks he knows everything about law school when he knows next to nothing.


OMGG you have officially done something on this website!! WOWSERS!

Your position is ridiculous. No difference in the quality of education between Harvard and LSU? The ONLY thing they teach you in law school is how to be a lawyer? So many fails here.. Not even getting into it.


And with this right here you've officially outed yourself as knowing nothing about law school; you're biggest fool I've seen on this site. And that's saying a lot. The first thing any practicing attorney, hell even a 1L or 2L summer associate/intern, will tell you is that law school does not teach you how to be a lawyer. The only class that really reflects actual legal practice is LRW. The rest of the courses, especially the 1L courses, are more about teaching you how to "think like a lawyer"--not actual practice. But again I'm wasting my breath on you because you've done all the "research"--you've checked the US News rankings and read the nlj rankings a few times. Clearly you are now officially an expert on legal hiring and law school academics.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
MrAnon wrote:You don't get any of the points. The system is structured with corporate law in mind.


You're wasting your breath. He's an 0L who thinks he knows everything about law school when he knows next to nothing.


OMGG you have officially done something on this website!! WOWSERS!

Your position is ridiculous. No difference in the quality of education between Harvard and LSU? The ONLY thing they teach you in law school is how to be a lawyer? So many fails here.. Not even getting into it.


And with this right here you've officially outed yourself as knowing nothing about law school; you're biggest fool I've seen on this site. And that's saying a lot. The first thing any practicing attorney, hell even a 1L or 2L summer associate/intern, will tell you is that law school does not teach you how to be a lawyer. The only class that really reflects actual legal practice is LRW. The rest of the courses, especially the 1L courses, are more about teaching you how to "think like a lawyer"--not actual practice. But again I'm wasting my breath on you because you've done all the "research"--you've checked the US News rankings and read the nlj rankings a few times. Clearly you are now officially an expert on legal hiring and law school academics.


You keep making basic assumption flaws, over and over. Did you struggle with reading comp on the LSAT? I can't figure you out.

No where did I, or anyone, say that they teach you different things at the various law schools. That said, if you think the quality of education is the same at Yale and the University of Houston, you are Trig Palin. Whether you get a JD at Yale or a Masters in Underwater Basketweaving, you are around brilliant professors and brilliant students and you come out of the whole experience with a quality education. Would you rather drink a bud light in Vanuatu or Hell? BruceWayne-- "BUT, it is the SAME bud light!!" You are fail. I think you might be a nine year old boy who hacked onto the account of a real law student.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:04 pm

....
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:14 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:You keep making basic assumption flaws, over and over. Did you struggle with reading comp on the LSAT? I can't figure you out.

No where did I, or anyone, say that they teach you different things at the various law schools. That said, if you think the quality of education is the same at Yale and the University of Houston, you are Trig Palin. Whether you get a JD at Yale or a Masters in Underwater Basketweaving, you are around brilliant professors and brilliant students and you come out of the whole experience with a quality education. Would you rather drink a bud light in Vanuatu or Hell? BruceWayne-- "BUT, it is the SAME bud light!!" You are fail. I think you might be a nine year old boy who hacked onto the account of a real law student.


You sound very naive and young. You will learn that the bolded essentially means nothing, and is something that only starry eyed 0L's care about. What you care about when you get into school, and all that will really matter, is whether your degree/school can get you a job. And for the record, even though you're a fool, I missed one question on my entire Reading Comprehension section--far better than you are capable of. HTMFH. Further, considering how focused you are on high ranking law schools, sleep better at night knowing that I attend a law school ranked far higher than you are ever capable of attending. Again HTMFH.

Finally, what's so scary about you, and the main reason I continue to respond to your ignorant posts, is that you're handing out advice about people's career prospects, and commentary on legal hiring, as an 0L. That's absurd; you are handing out advice to people looking for legitiimate help, even though you don't know any more than they do. That's one of the really dangerous things about this website, any fool (like you for example) with no experience or basis for knowledge can just sign up and hand out advice as if they actually know what they're talking about.


The two bolded statements are why you never get laid (or, the fact that you really are nine years old). They are my favorite, along with your theory that after three years at Yale a student would leave with the same quality of education as a student who finished up three years at Golden Gate.

I actually kinda like you, and you are definitely one of the people on TLS that I would love to meet in real life.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Postby swinger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Missing one question in Reading Comp and going to a top ranked school has nothing to do with why Bruce does not get laid (assuming he doesnt get laid). In fact, I would argue the whole going to a top school part would help him get laid. Im in a similar situation regarding LSAT sections (I believe at the same school) and get laid all the time. Also, you will learn that an ad hominem attack, like the one you are using, is a very ineffective argument. Even if he did never get laid and even if he were nine years old, his argument would still be valid. Did you struggle with logical reasoning?

He is also right about coming to the boards as a 0L and offering this kind of advice. It was nice of you to post the employment statistics because those can now be viewed and interpreted by those who know how to analyze them/what they really mean behind the numbers. Please only discuss things you have a strong knowledge in/experience with.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: UVA2B and 1 guest