UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA (sticker) vs Emory (20k/yr)

UGA
41%
Emory
59%

Total votes: 189

molloyboytoy

New

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Post by molloyboytoy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 pm

I still like Emory over UGA...however, today I got the call from Boston University. Good luck to all the future Emory and UGA students.

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 am

molloyboytoy wrote:I still like Emory over UGA...however, today I got the call from Boston University. Good luck to all the future Emory and UGA students.
I hope you arent going to BU at sticker.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 am

Damn that's a pretty late acceptance to BU. Best of luck getting out of lease and all that annoying stuff that comes with a last minute change of plans.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 am

splittinghairs wrote:
molloyboytoy wrote:I still like Emory over UGA...however, today I got the call from Boston University. Good luck to all the future Emory and UGA students.
I hope you arent going to BU at sticker.
+50

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 am

I live in Boston. No money for lodging versus paying living expenses at Emory makes BU more feasible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 am

So I take that as a "Yes, I'm going to BU at sticker"? Good luck.

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 am

I paid nothing as an undergrad so it's basically like this is the first time I'll be paying for any collegiate schooling. I am an only child and my family is far from poor, so my family doesn't view the money as a big deal. Thanks for the good luck! I hope everyone in this thread does well at Emory or UGA.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 am

molloyboytoy wrote:I paid nothing as an undergrad so it's basically like this is the first time I'll be paying for any collegiate schooling. I am an only child and my family is far from poor, so my family doesn't view the money as a big deal. Thanks for the good luck! I hope everyone in this thread does well at Emory or UGA.
I read this as:

I've been given a great opportunity to not be saddled by debt for the first part of my career, but hey, why not?

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 am

I'm not taking out a single loan? So, how will I be saddled with debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am

molloyboytoy wrote:I'm not taking out a single loan? So, how will I be saddled with debt?
Ah, then you are lucky. Tell your parents you love them.

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
molloyboytoy wrote:I'm not taking out a single loan? So, how will I be saddled with debt?
Indeed.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
+100000

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Hope your parents' generosity still left you with a blue collar work ethic. Not to be pretentious but the entitled do not always fare as well in law school as the hungry. My advice: get hungry somehow if you aren't already.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:19 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Hope your parents' generosity still left you with a blue collar work ethic. Not to be pretentious but the entitled do not always fare as well in law school as the hungry. My advice: get hungry somehow if you aren't already.
Just go read the "Where do Temp Attorneys come from" thread. That should be enough to make any law school student hungry.

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 pm

nmcdgt wrote:Just go read the "Where do Temp Attorneys come from" thread. That should be enough to make any law school student hungry.
Agreed man. If you aren't hungry already after reading all the law school horror stories on the internet, then save your time and money.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 am

62 to 61, that is an awesome poll.

xcrunner08

New

Post by xcrunner08 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Bumping this thread. 0L in similar situation as OP. Right now looking gat 15k/yr at GA vs. 25k/yr at Emory. Not positive I want to work in GA upon graduation. Hoping for Biglaw but I am aware that it would be tough at either school. Read through this whole thread but wanted to see if anyone had any input after another half a year. Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 pm

xcrunner08 wrote:Bumping this thread. 0L in similar situation as OP. Right now looking gat 15k/yr at GA vs. 25k/yr at Emory. Not positive I want to work in GA upon graduation. Hoping for Biglaw but I am aware that it would be tough at either school. Read through this whole thread but wanted to see if anyone had any input after another half a year. Thanks
I'm not sure what the scholarships mean - is the final tuition cost the same for both for you? If so, I would probably go with Emory in that situation.

xcrunner08

New

Post by xcrunner08 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Sorry for being unclear those numbers are final tuition costs after scholly

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 pm

xcrunner08 wrote:Bumping this thread. 0L in similar situation as OP. Right now looking gat 15k/yr at GA vs. 25k/yr at Emory. Not positive I want to work in GA upon graduation. Hoping for Biglaw but I am aware that it would be tough at either school. Read through this whole thread but wanted to see if anyone had any input after another half a year. Thanks
Not positive you want to work in GA? Would highly discourage you from attending either Emory or UGA then. Emory, although having a better national reach than UGA, is still not really a national school unless you have ties to where-ever u wanted to work and had top grades.

But in terms of the confusion about money, always try to figure out Cost of Attendance at one school versus another. The amount of scholarship offered is meaningless by itself. School A costs 10k, offers 5k scholarship. School B costs 50k, offers 30k scholarship. Even though B offered 25k more in scholly, its still way more expensive than A.

COA = [(Tuition - Scholarship) + cost of living(estimate)] x 3years

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm

xcrunner08 wrote:Sorry for being unclear those numbers are final tuition costs after scholly
So you are basically in the same situation as OP, Emory is gonna cost 30-40k more in total considering COL differences. Maybe you'll get into BC or something and you can go there since you dont wanna work in GA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xcrunner08

New

Post by xcrunner08 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Yea I understand I'm in a similar situation to OP I was just looking for some fresh opinions given its an older thread. And I don't mean that I absolutely don't want to work in GA. Im a GA native I'm just saying in terms of keeping a few more options open is Emory not a better option?

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 pm

xcrunner08 wrote:Yea I understand I'm in a similar situation to OP I was just looking for some fresh opinions given its an older thread. And I don't mean that I absolutely don't want to work in GA. Im a GA native I'm just saying in terms of keeping a few more options open is Emory not a better option?
Nothing much has changed since last year. If you wait until class of 2011 NLJ250 numbers come out, then there might be new and relevant info, but i think its unlikely to be much different than before.

Because you are from GA, I really doubt that Emory opens up other markets for you. On the surface it seems that Emory places many grads outside GA since 50-60% of each class work outside GA (UGA places only 25% outside GA), but you have to realize that each year about 80% of Emory's class is composed of out of state students (UGA is only comprised of 25% oos). This suggests that self-selection is playing a big part in Emory's supposed "national" reach.

All of this being said, I think a 30-40k difference in COA between the two schools makes these two pretty much equal choices. I think its gonna depend on your personal preferences such as school atmosphere, location, etc.

It seems that UGA places just as well as Emory in ATL. UGA enjoys an advantage for those looking outside ATL in GA. Emory is obviously better than UGA outside GA, but it tends to only matter for Out of state students who have ties to those markets.

Emory, at least in the past and probably even right now enjoys a better reputation than UGA nationally speaking, although it seems like UGA is starting to close the gap. A good illustration (besides looking just at US news rankings) is that UGA's median LSAT numbers have equaled Emory's (both 165 for C/O 2014), when in just 4 years ago Emory was at 166 and UGA at 163. Im not trying to suggest that median lsat matters in affecting your job prospects per se, but its simply to show that the change in momentum that has been occurring for the past few years. Who knows what this means in the future, perhaps when the economy recovers Emory may recover faster because of its past reputation when it was as high as top 20, but the more recent momentum seem to suggest UGA catching up to Emory.

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:18 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
xcrunner08 wrote:Yea I understand I'm in a similar situation to OP I was just looking for some fresh opinions given its an older thread. And I don't mean that I absolutely don't want to work in GA. Im a GA native I'm just saying in terms of keeping a few more options open is Emory not a better option?
Nothing much has changed since last year. If you wait until class of 2011 NLJ250 numbers come out, then there might be new and relevant info, but i think its unlikely to be much different than before.

Because you are from GA, I really doubt that Emory opens up other markets for you. On the surface it seems that Emory places many grads outside GA since 50-60% of each class work outside GA (UGA places only 25% outside GA), but you have to realize that each year about 80% of Emory's class is composed of out of state students (UGA is only comprised of 25% oos). This suggests that self-selection is playing a big part in Emory's supposed "national" reach.

All of this being said, I think a 30-40k difference in COA between the two schools makes these two pretty much equal choices. I think its gonna depend on your personal preferences such as school atmosphere, location, etc.

It seems that UGA places just as well as Emory in ATL. UGA enjoys an advantage for those looking outside ATL in GA. Emory is obviously better than UGA outside GA, but it tends to only matter for Out of state students who have ties to those markets.

Emory, at least in the past and probably even right now enjoys a better reputation than UGA nationally speaking, although it seems like UGA is starting to close the gap. A good illustration (besides looking just at US news rankings) is that UGA's median LSAT numbers have equaled Emory's (both 165 for C/O 2014), when in just 4 years ago Emory was at 166 and UGA at 163. Im not trying to suggest that median lsat matters in affecting your job prospects per se, but its simply to show that the change in momentum that has been occurring for the past few years. Who knows what this means in the future, perhaps when the economy recovers Emory may recover faster because of its past reputation when it was as high as top 20, but the more recent momentum seem to suggest UGA catching up to Emory.

The question is which school is better academically? Emory is ranked #19 now and UGA is #31. Emory's median LSAT is 165 whereas UGA's is 162. It seems like the downturn in applications had more ramifications for Georgia, which lost all of this positive momentum than it did for Emory which has maintained a 165 median LSAT score.

consultantno809576

New

Post by consultantno809576 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Had to do some digging, but I found and wanted to bump this post. I am essentially in the same boat as OP, but a few years have gone by so I'm hoping to take the TLS temperature on this one.

Assuming the same situation as OP - sticker at UGA and $20k/year scholarship at Emory- and considering that I want to begin my career in ATL but may want to move back out-of-state after a few years of big law, which school would you all recommend?

I've always lived in cities, and I think I would prefer living in an ATL burb to Athens, the quintessential college town. However, I'm worried that the difference in COA between the schools, though relatively small, could prove burdensome. I also keep hearing anecdotes about Emory grads losing out to Georgia grads or even Georgia State grads for top jobs. Being from out-of-state, this seems shocking and perhaps untrue. At the end of the day, though, it's all about securing a job that will help me overcome the debt I will assume.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”