Case Western$ vs Pitt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Case Western or Pitt??

Case Western
48%
Pitt
52%

Total votes: 23

summeriffic

Case Western$ vs Pitt

Postby summeriffic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:35 pm

I have a 10k scholarship from Case Western and I am currently negotiating for more. I was just accepted off of Pitts wait list. I have not seen my scholarship offer yet, but even if I am not awarded any both schools will cost me about the same. I don't plan on staying at either school and I hope to transfer into a T30 school in either NY, DC, or VA. Which school would you recommend?
Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

bport hopeful

Re: Case Western$ vs Pitt

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Pitt in case you dont end up transferring.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Also, at Pitt you can hope for a cheaper tuition after your first year, making it 20k cheaper.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

summeriffic wrote:I have a 10k scholarship from Case Western and I am currently negotiating for more. I was just accepted off of Pitts wait list. I have not seen my scholarship offer yet, but even if I am not awarded any both schools will cost me about the same. I don't plan on staying at either school and I hope to transfer into a T30 school in either NY, DC, or VA. Which school would you recommend?

All things (costs) being equal, this is a case of Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh (a fight in which Pittsburgh will invariably win :wink:).

But since you hope to transfer to a better school in a different market, you're much better off retaking/reapplying.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:39 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
summeriffic wrote:I have a 10k scholarship from Case Western and I am currently negotiating for more. I was just accepted off of Pitts wait list. I have not seen my scholarship offer yet, but even if I am not awarded any both schools will cost me about the same. I don't plan on staying at either school and I hope to transfer into a T30 school in either NY, DC, or VA. Which school would you recommend?

All things (costs) being equal, this is a case of Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh (a fight in which Pittsburgh will invariably win :wink:).

But since you hope to transfer to a better school in a different market, you're much better off retaking/reapplying.

the truf

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:43 pm

if you wont be happy at median at either, or dont see yourself graduating ( and being happy graduating from there) then dont go.

almost 100% of students go into 1L thinking they will do well enought to be able to transfer to a higher ranked school. Around 15%( may be generous with that number) will be able to leaving around 85% disappointed.

My advice- dont go, re-assess, re take, and re apply to the schools you will be happy to graduate from ranked 50% in your class.

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. Re-taking is no longer an option for me I've taken the test twice and haven't really seen any significant improvements in my score. I've never been a good standardized test taker, but I've always been top of my class. So my goal is to do the same my 1L year and hopefully transfer out.
I'm curious as to why you suggest Pitt when its ranked lower (not that I disagree lol)

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:48 pm

I also would be equally happy to attend and earn my degree from either school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 pm

summeriffic wrote:I'm curious as to why you suggest Pitt when its ranked lower (not that I disagree lol)

Rank is essentially meaningless past the T20 or so. Pitt and Case are peer schools; IE, they offer approximately equal career prospects in their respective regions.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 pm

summeriffic wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. Re-taking is no longer an option for me I've taken the test twice and haven't really seen any significant improvements in my score. I've never been a good standardized test taker, but I've always been top of my class. So my goal is to do the same my 1L year and hopefully transfer out.
I'm curious as to why you suggest Pitt when its ranked lower (not that I disagree lol)

Rankings at that level dont mean a lot. Cleveland sucks as a city and Pittsburgh is pretty dope. Case grads also have to fight off Cleveland Staters and Ohio State grads, while Pitt people's greatest opponents are from Duquesne.

Full Disclaimer: Im going to Pitt in the fall.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm

where are you from and where do you want to work?

I vote for going to the school in the region you want to work. If you dont want to work in either region- apply early next cycle

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I would like to work in DC and from my understanding Pitt grads place better in DC in comparison to Case grads.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Also, National League Baseball.

/thread

evanvanreg

Postby evanvanreg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Ok, so here's a question for you. Figure that tuition is the same for all, and the sole intention is to live and work in DC or NYC, which would you chose between Pitt, Catholic, and Ohio State?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Maybe Catholic. But your best bet would be to go to the best school you can get into in DC or NYC

Chippy

Postby Chippy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:03 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Also, National League Baseball.

/thread

Calling the pirates a MLB team is a bit of a stretch.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Chippy wrote:

/thread

maybe in previous years- but this year they are right in the thick of the pennant race( i know its only mid july, but still)

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Chippy wrote:

/thread

+1

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello, the Pirates are in first place...

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Hello, the Pirates are in first place...

So are the Indians, but we all know how that's going to end.

Anyway, I think you should go to Ohio State if the costs are near-equal everywhere. They place heavily in Ohio, which may be discouraging to you, but that's partly self-selection. They are highly ranked enough that it's possible to get interviews in the places you want to work.

I go to Case, so feel free to AMA, but given your goals I'd probably recommend attending elsewhere. Case is simply not a surefire path to NYC/DC if you're not in the Top 15%, and even then, you're going up against a lot of in-market schools.

But, you can't count on transferring, and if you're bound and determined to work in DC...well, I'd probably still go to OSU, but I wouldn't go to Case/Pitt. I'm not sure how Catholic does when it's against all the other DC schools, but it surely has a better OCI than Case and Pitt do. EDIT: Okay, according to NALP it doesn't, although a few of the big hitters (Hogan Lovells, etc) show up. I would definitely attend Ohio State.

blackandyellow

Postby blackandyellow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Hello, the Pirates are in first place...

So are the Indians, but we all know how that's going to end.

Anyway, I think you should go to Ohio State if the costs are near-equal everywhere. They place heavily in Ohio, which may be discouraging to you, but that's partly self-selection. They are highly ranked enough that it's possible to get interviews in the places you want to work.

I go to Case, so feel free to AMA, but given your goals I'd probably recommend attending elsewhere. Case is simply not a surefire path to NYC/DC if you're not in the Top 15%, and even then, you're going up against a lot of in-market schools.

But, you can't count on transferring, and if you're bound and determined to work in DC...well, I'd probably still go to OSU, but I wouldn't go to Case/Pitt. I'm not sure how Catholic does when it's against all the other DC schools, but it surely has a better OCI than Case and Pitt do. EDIT: Okay, according to NALP it doesn't, although a few of the big hitters (Hogan Lovells, etc) show up. I would definitely attend Ohio State.

In the past, top 15% at case or upitt might get you biglaw NYC/LA/Chicago, but the legal economy has really taken a hit. Top 15% at case ITE can't even guarantee midlaw Cleveland.

I think in order to transfer to a T30 you will need top 1/3 grades, which might not be that big of a problem. The big problem is that your job situation wouldn't improve a whole lot after you transfer to those school.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm

OP, I personally loved Case and I love the city of Cleveland. If you DON'T feel the way I do, you should not attend Case w/ only $10K, because you have to plan on being stuck there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”