2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

In the last 2 days, I was pulled from 2 waitlists. My choices stand as follows:

School - FinAid
Pepperdine (CA) - $42,000/year
Fordham (NY) - a whopping $0
Vanderbilt (TN) - an unsurprising $0

I'm assuming neither Fordham nor Vandy will offer any type of aid at this point in the cycle.

I currently live in NYC and would love to stay here. But that's not an absolute necessity. Similarly, I would love to seek employment here, though by no means am I sold on that either, as evidenced by my willingness to go to a regional TT in Malibu. I'm willing to seek employment wherever I can find it.

Specific career interests include government/PI work, copyright/trademark law, and corporate work. Again, these are interests, and I'm by no means restricting myself to these areas. (That's a stupid decision ITE, IMHO.)

What would you choose, and why? Would Fordham or Vandy be worth sticker?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm assuming your Pepperdine scholly has a top 1/3 stipulation? If so, I say Vandy due to its reputation and that it has very decent biglaw placement. Sure, it is a pretty huge gamble but I think going to Pepperdine with a top 1/3 stipulation is a pretty huge gamble too. The cherry on top is that Vandy does pretty well in NYC.

I'm just kind of shocked that you have no middle ground offers.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby glewz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 pm

bk1 wrote:The cherry on top is that Vandy does pretty well in NYC has really attractive students.


FTFY ;)

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:I'm assuming your Pepperdine scholly has a top 1/3 stipulation? If so, I say Vandy due to its reputation and that it has very decent biglaw placement. Sure, it is a pretty huge gamble but I think going to Pepperdine with a top 1/3 stipulation is a pretty huge gamble too. The cherry on top is that Vandy does pretty well in NYC.

I'm just kind of shocked that you have no middle ground offers.


I did have middle ground offers, but I withdrew from Ohio State and George Mason when I deposited at Pepperdine. I had scholarships at each, but nothing really compelling enough to draw me away from my current home in NYC or to top the full ride (even with the top 1/3).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby Redfactor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm

.
Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 pm

The question is, how debt averse are you? Pepperdine leaves you with little debt, but also a 1% chance of biglaw and/or practicing outside of CA. Fordham is great in NY, but is similarly regional and you better tear it up (no worse than top 25% if you want to have even a chance of paying off that debt). Vandy is by far the most 'portable' of the 3, but do you have any interest in being in Nashville for 3 years? And if you don't do as well as you want (say top 1/3), would you be willing to stay in the South (you might not have a choice)?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Redfactor wrote:I haven't visited either Vandy or Fordham, but the numbers seem to suggest Fordham as the superior choice for employment in the NY market.

While Vandy might have more mobility, it's hard to beat a good school in its own backyard.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Fordham has roughly equal employment statistics, but they're averaging higher salaries and I would assume that they are placing students in NY at a higher percentage.


Vanderbilt has a proven track record of being the better out of the 2 for just any big firm job.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 pm

fingersxd wrote:The question is, how debt averse are you? Pepperdine leaves you with little debt, but also a 1% chance of biglaw and/or practicing outside of CA. Fordham is great in NY, but is similarly regional and you better tear it up (no worse than top 25% if you want to have even a chance of paying off that debt). Vandy is by far the most 'portable' of the 3, but do you have any interest in being in Nashville for 3 years? And if you don't do as well as you want (say top 1/3), would you be willing to stay in the South (you might not have a choice)?


More likely you'll use the Vanderbilt name to try to snag a job wherever you have ties than you will be forced to stay in the South.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:14 pm

rad law wrote:
fingersxd wrote:The question is, how debt averse are you? Pepperdine leaves you with little debt, but also a 1% chance of biglaw and/or practicing outside of CA. Fordham is great in NY, but is similarly regional and you better tear it up (no worse than top 25% if you want to have even a chance of paying off that debt). Vandy is by far the most 'portable' of the 3, but do you have any interest in being in Nashville for 3 years? And if you don't do as well as you want (say top 1/3), would you be willing to stay in the South (you might not have a choice)?


More likely you'll use the Vanderbilt name to try to snag a job wherever you have ties than you will be forced to stay in the South.


What if ties are in NY though? (OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the case). If OP doesn't pull the grades he needs for NY biglaw, where does he go -- I guess just take the Vandy degree anywhere he can find a job, right? If so, this goes back to my point about Vandy being more portable, but it really only applies if OP is willing to work just about anywhere. Honestly, it seems to me that OP probably needs to focus a bit more on where his interests will take him.

My conclusion is this. If you were dead-set on NY, I'd say Fordham. Since you are unsure, Vandy is likely to be the safer option here.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby northwood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I would go to Vandy. Since you are from NYC- you allready have some ties to the area that will help employers see that you are thinking about NYC long term. Plus, I do believe Nashville will cost a bit less to live than NYC for school, and it will allow you to expand your network.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm

To answer some of the questions posed in my absence: my debt aversion melts away the higher I go up the rankings ladder. Vandy at sticker terrifies the living hell out of me, but that's more motivation to kick ass in school than to back away. I've said my whole cycle that it's probably the ONLY school I applied to that I'd pay sticker for.

On another note, I think I would love Nashville. I'm originally from Ohio, and have spent 5 years in NYC. I love the city, but I think I might actually be happy QoL-wise in a smaller city. From everything I've heard, I think I'd like Nashville. (Vandy is giving me two days to decide, so a visit is out the window.)

Fingersxd is right that my target market is basically a job. NYC would be great, but if I don't pull the grades OR if I find work elsewhere, I'd be equally happy.

northwood wrote:Plus, I do believe Nashville will cost a bit less to live than NYC for school, and it will allow you to expand your network.


I think this is a really good point...anyone want to further support or rebut it?

Thanks again for all the advice!

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 am

Nashville will be much cheaper than NY. Can't really speak to the networking, but I suppose adding contacts outside of nyc can't hurt.

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby Redfactor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

.

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2 Days to Make a Decision - opinions?

Postby Redfactor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 am

.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest