Cornell v. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school to choose?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Georgetown as it currently stands (COA $50,000 per yer)
52%
Cornell as it currently stands (COA $72,000 per year)
10%
Cornell if they match GULC's offer (COA $50,000 per year)
19%
Georgetown if they up there offer
No votes
Cornell if they give me a little bit (lets say COA $60,000 per year)
19%

Total votes: 31

whatchoicetomake

Cornell v. Georgetown

Postby whatchoicetomake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Cornell v. Georgetown

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm

The design of this poll is just.... What?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 pm

why stop there with the hypotheticals?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 pm

If Cornell gives you nothing or a little bit (i.e. CoA >=60k/year) then take GULC. If Cornell gives gets you close to GULC (i.e. CoA =<53k/year) then pick whichever you prefer between the two.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:49 pm

I tried to make the poll as comprehensive as possible. Figure my scholly will be matched, hence the last Cornell.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:56 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

the full-time/part-time graph for GULC has me worried. 10% who are under or unemployed is scary at $150,000 debt

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:59 pm

whatchoicetomake wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

the full-time/part-time graph for GULC has me worried. 10% who are under or unemployed is scary at $150,000 debt

As it should worry you. But if you were to take on $180,000+ at Cornell, underemployed for you would be anything outside of biglaw. I'm not saying that $150,000 would be rosy without biglaw, it won't be, but it will be far better.

BigRed1988

Postby BigRed1988 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 pm

This poll won't be useful. Even if someone votes for Cornell as it currently stands, if Georgetown ups their offer then you won't know whether those people would have voted the same way, and if they vote for Georgetown with an increased offer then the results for the current situation may be skewed. Same the other way around. If you want to do a poll it should be one right now as the situation stands, or one if and when the amounts change.

I am voting for Cornell as it stands, and I want to make special note that I am choosing it OVER Cornell if they match. Show 'em you are confident. More debt = more hustle.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 pm

BigRed1988 wrote:This poll won't be useful. Even if someone votes for Cornell as it currently stands, if Georgetown ups their offer then you won't know whether those people would have voted the same way, and if they vote for Georgetown with an increased offer then the results for the current situation may be skewed. Same the other way around. If you want to do a poll it should be one right now as the situation stands, or one if and when the amounts change.

I am voting for Cornell as it stands, and I want to make special note that I am choosing it OVER Cornell if they match. Show 'em you are confident. More debt = more hustle.

See what you mean by the poll. I'll repost when I get exact numbers.

One thing I am curious about. In the opinion of other, what does the absolute number of people getting big law mean.

In my case, Cornell places 60%, GULC 40% inot big law. In terms of real numbers, Cornell is 120 and GULC is 200. With GULC being larger, do you think the % balances out the whole number (smaller class=less gunning) or not (bigger class = more gunning). Remember, I am a 0L and have not got a clue to the true nuacnes of law school

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

whatchoicetomake wrote:In my case, Cornell places 60%, GULC 40% inot big law. In terms of real numbers, Cornell is 120 and GULC is 200. With GULC being larger, do you think the % balances out the whole number (smaller class=less gunning) or not (bigger class = more gunning). Remember, I am a 0L and have not got a clue to the true nuacnes of law school

I think all that matters is percentage. I see no reason why the absolute numbers should be meaningful towards choosing between these schools.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
whatchoicetomake wrote:In my case, Cornell places 60%, GULC 40% inot big law. In terms of real numbers, Cornell is 120 and GULC is 200. With GULC being larger, do you think the % balances out the whole number (smaller class=less gunning) or not (bigger class = more gunning). Remember, I am a 0L and have not got a clue to the true nuacnes of law school

I think all that matters is percentage. I see no reason why the absolute numbers should be meaningful towards choosing between these schools.

Except I guess that numbers for Cornell won't be as accurate year-over-year as GULC, since smaller classes have more volatile percentages.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Seems as if this decision would be easy. Either you want NYC & are willing to live in a rural area for three years or you want DC & big city life now.

If both cost the same, then which one would you choose ?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 pm

They are peers and if money ends up being approx. equal (which seems likely), you should just go to whichever you preferred. There is a huge difference in lifestyle b/t Ithaca and DC.

If you want NYC and don't mind Ithaca, go to Cornell. If you want DC, go to GT.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 pm

bk1 wrote:

More alums, bigger network. Also GULC has lots of part timers who aren't interested in biglaw. I ran into the same thing when I investigated DU.

Comparing Cornell and GULC are like comparing apples to oranges.

Also I don't think that traditional Cornell has significantly better employment that GULC. I think that 60% was an outlier, and in other threads the number for 2011 is looking like 40%.

Note: I'm on Cornells wait list.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:17 pm

60%/40% is not the historical trend. Check the #'s - Cornell is better, but I would bet the difference is no more than 5%. I would also guess that GT has more people looking outside of big law, but that is largely anecdotal. Overall % are not esp. useful here...OP should focus on where s/he wants to practice and live.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 am

mrwarre85 wrote:More alums, bigger network.

This sort of thing is already factored in to the percentages.

mrwarre wrote:Also GULC has lots of part timers who aren't interested in biglaw. I ran into the same thing when I investigated DU.

Comparing Cornell and GULC are like comparing apples to oranges.

Also I don't think that traditional Cornell has significantly better employment that GULC. I think that 60% was an outlier, and in other threads the number for 2011 is looking like 40%.

Note: I'm on Cornells wait list.

But I do agree with you on this point that Cornell/GULC are roughly peers and comparing stats is hard since more GULCers tend to want PI/gov compared to Cornellers.

The only thing that would have me hesitant is that I've heard that the latest OCI at GULC was even rougher than Cornell's latest OCI but that is just what I've heard. Even if it is true, I think Cornell needs to be at least comparably priced or cheaper than GULC to warrant consideration.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:More alums, bigger network.

This sort of thing is already factored in to the percentages.

How do you mean? In this case, Cornell placed a higher percentage but GULC placed more graduates, thus more alums one could network with.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm

You don't need a car in ithaca AT ALL

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:20 pm

mths wrote:You don't need a car in ithaca AT ALL

...except if you want to go anywhere. ha.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:22 pm

fingersxd wrote:
mths wrote:You don't need a car in ithaca AT ALL

...except if you want to go anywhere. ha.

Cornell 2L

Did not need a car at all during 1L. Enough people have cars for personal reasons and getting rides is very easy in a class of 200 people where you see every single person at least 10 times a day.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Curious OP, did you try to get off the Cornell waitlist? I mean, did you send a bunch of LOCI's?

I just ask because there are a ridiculous amount of threads of late saying " oh gee, looks like a just got into Cornell, what to do??" I'm wondering, why write LOCI's and call admissions, etc, if you aren't going to take them at sticker? Perhaps Cornell is selecting only people who DID NOT write LOCI's or promise to matriculate, and this explains their current situation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:How do you mean? In this case, Cornell placed a higher percentage but GULC placed more graduates, thus more alums one could network with.

You're also competing with more classmates to get jobs from those same alums.

What I mean is that when people say that having a bigger network makes it easier to get a biglaw job, I mean that all that nepotism is already a part of the percentage of people who get biglaw. It isn't like you can say "well GULC placed 40% and it has a big network so that's basically 50%" because that 40% already accounts for alums helping out.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:How do you mean? In this case, Cornell placed a higher percentage but GULC placed more graduates, thus more alums one could network with.

You're also competing with more classmates to get jobs from those same alums.

What I mean is that when people say that having a bigger network makes it easier to get a biglaw job, I mean that all that nepotism is already a part of the percentage of people who get biglaw. It isn't like you can say "well GULC placed 40% and it has a big network so that's basically 50%" because that 40% already accounts for alums helping out.

Also, I think he might mean that having a bigger network/alumni base is better AFTER you get your first job.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm

. balance out the long wrong
Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”