Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which

Bama
85%
Notre Dame
15%

Total votes: 59

LoyalRebel

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby LoyalRebel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Dany wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.

Check my post count, I've been here for a while. Not too many people on here would say T25s are bad. They would advise to avoid them for sticker or close to it. I would avoid Cornell and Georgetown (especially GULC) at sticker as well.

Speaking for myself at least, trust in what you have to say is inversely related to TLS post counts.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Dany wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.

Check my post count, I've been here for a while. Not too many people on here would say T25s are bad. They would advise to avoid them for sticker or close to it. I would avoid Cornell and Georgetown (especially GULC) at sticker as well.

Speaking for myself at least, trust in what you have to say is inversely related to TLS post counts.
*Attends TTT at sticker*
*Relies solely on OCI to get a job*
*Hangs on every word of the scads of morons who register solely for the purpose of making strawman arguments about the evils of elitism while attending a TTT at sticker and relying solely on OCI to get a job*
*Vicious cycle repeats*

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 am

stratocophic wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Dany wrote:Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.

*Attends TTT at sticker*
*Hangs on every word of the scads of morons who register solely for the purpose of making strawman arguments about the evils of elitism while attending a TTT at sticker and relying solely on OCI to get a job*
*Vicious cycle repeats*

1. I attend a TTT for $5k per year; I have scholarships bud.
2. What the hell does OCI stand for?
3. Got a job offer on the table if I get my LLM.

How's your job hunt coming?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:32 am

LoyalRebel wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

*Attends TTT at sticker*
*Vicious cycle repeats*

1. I attend a TTT for $5k per year; I have scholarships bud.
2. What the hell does OCI stand for?
3. Got a job offer on the table if I get my LLM.

How's your job hunt coming?
Glad you're finding success. That was more a comment on said scads of morons than anything specific to you. Job hunt's going pretty damn well thus far, thankyouverymuch.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 am

I'm at ND on a scholarship that's well over half, and even I had seriously considered the 'Bama full scholarship:

(a) ND's weakest placement is in the southeast, where I assume you want to be
(b) 'Bama is a strong school that is highly respected in the SE, and does not crank out unemployed grads at any higher a rate than ND
(c) Alabama firms hire gobs of 1L SAs; land one and enjoy further financial windfall
(d) sticker price at any T25 or higher law school these days is disconnected from reality; ND is no different
(e) AND you have a wife with a job and a house?! ... dude!

All I will say is that--if your 'Bama scholarship comes with the top-30% stipulation--see if you can use ND and the like to negotiate that stip off. I was told at the 'Bama ASW that it could be done.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 am

flcath wrote:I'm at ND on a scholarship that's well over half, and even I had seriously considered the 'Bama full scholarship:

(b) 'Bama is a strong school that is highly respected in the SE, and does not crank out unemployed grads at any higher a rate than ND
(c) Alabama firms hire gobs of 1L SAs; land one and enjoy further financial windfall
(d) sticker price at any T25 or higher law school these days is disconnected from reality; ND is no different

All I will say is that--if your 'Bama scholarship comes with the top-30% stipulation--see if you can use ND and the like to negotiate that stip off. I was told at the 'Bama ASW that it could be done.

Top 40% I negotiated to top 50% and they gave me more money but they were unwilling to remove the stip all together

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:48 am

bergg007 wrote:
flcath wrote:I'm at ND on a scholarship that's well over half, and even I had seriously considered the 'Bama full scholarship:

Top 40% I negotiated to top 50% and they gave me more money but they were unwilling to remove the stip all together

Great!

Top 50% is pretty manageable. If you do end up under median--in which case you'll be paying for below-media job prospects--then you should give some thought to leaving, but that's a bridge you can put off until you come to it (and I don't think you ever will).

I wouldn't even start to consider ND unless they offer you at least $18K, and that's if you're looking to get out of the SE.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”