Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which

Bama
50
85%
Notre Dame
9
15%
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby bergg007 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm really torn. I'm currently living in Tuscaloosa, AL I just moved here for the law school and I really like it. But I've stayed on the Notre Dame waitlist just to see what will happen. I just got an e-mail that makes me think i have a very good shot at getting in. So here is my question. Which one should I go to. If I keep my Scholly at 'bama I will have a total cost of $5000, all told. If i go to Notre dame I will likely have to pay full price, so roughly 120k. my only real goal is to be gainfully employed, and i'm not sure which type or level of law i would like to practice. I'd like to have options.

to throw another wrench in the works I am married and i would need to have my wife find employment, can south bend employ another accountant? I also am not a fan of te cold, so how cold is south bend? What should i do?
Last edited by bergg007 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Accountants can find a job anywhere if they have a CPA; that shouldn't even be a factor.

I still say Bama. Really solid school, no debt... good football. Can't beat it.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby TommyK » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Add a poll.

Bama, not even close.

taxguy
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby taxguy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Are you asking a trick question? I would take Bama with full scholarship over Notre Dame at full pay any day. I can't even believe that you have to think about it. Having no debt will be an amazing benefit to your life. If you have 120K of debt from most places, you would really, really regret it. This way, if you need to, you can take a lower paid job in order to get vital legal experience, even with the government. If you have a 120K+ debt, you must take a high paying job in order to pay this off.
Last edited by taxguy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37 pm

definitely Bama. do not pay sticker for notre dame

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby bergg007 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 pm

bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?


do you have a better chance at big lawl at notre dame? i'd say your chances aren't great at either school so why plunge into an ass ton of debt?

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby bergg007 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?


do you have a better chance at big lawl at notre dame? i'd say your chances aren't great at either school so why plunge into an ass ton of debt?



28.8 percent of ND grads went to NLJ 250 jobs, where as 7% of Bama grads did. 4x more likely


User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:10 pm

bergg007 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?


do you have a better chance at big lawl at notre dame? i'd say your chances aren't great at either school so why plunge into an ass ton of debt?



28.8 percent of ND grads went to NLJ 250 jobs, where as 7% of Bama grads did. 4x more likely
Only a 75% chance of being debtpwned? Where do I sign

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?


do you have a better chance at big lawl at notre dame? i'd say your chances aren't great at either school so why plunge into an ass ton of debt?


Actually, there is a rather large difference in the placement of Notre Dame and Alabama. Nevertheless, OP seems perfectly happy in Tuscaloosa and I would not pay sticker for a T25, even if it is Notre Dame.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby dr123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Roll Tide.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I don't think NLJ250 employment statistics are that useful for looking at prospects out of Alabama because I'm willing to bet a lot of market-paying Alabama firms aren't NLJ250 but are still jobs that Alabama grads want. Just a guess, though.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Also:

dr123 wrote:Roll Tide.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:01 am

Notre Dame is not as bad as people say it is. It gets a bad rep, but seems to place well and has a tremendous alumni base. However, 'Bama is not a bad school. 23 is only worth paying sticker if you don't have that kind of scholly anywhere in tier 2. COL in Alabama is also really low so if you stay there you don't need big law to live a good life. Indiana/Chicago is still expensive relative to a lot of America.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 am

Dany wrote:I don't think NLJ250 employment statistics are that useful for looking at prospects out of Alabama because I'm willing to bet a lot of market-paying Alabama firms aren't NLJ250 but are still jobs that Alabama grads want. Just a guess, though.


Very correct. The Birmingham market is actually very strong. I'm at a firm here that hired almost 50 summers (split between 1Ls and 2Ls, but still...). Most firms aren't NLJ250, but still pay a decent salary.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:37 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Notre Dame is not as bad as people say it is. It gets a bad rep, but seems to place well and has a tremendous alumni base. However, 'Bama is not a bad school. 23 is only worth paying sticker if you don't have that kind of scholly anywhere in tier 2. COL in Alabama is also really low so if you stay there you don't need big law to live a good life. Indiana/Chicago is still expensive relative to a lot of America.


I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Notre Dame is not as bad as people say it is. It gets a bad rep, but seems to place well and has a tremendous alumni base. However, 'Bama is not a bad school. 23 is only worth paying sticker if you don't have that kind of scholly anywhere in tier 2. COL in Alabama is also really low so if you stay there you don't need big law to live a good life. Indiana/Chicago is still expensive relative to a lot of America.


I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).
Credited.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 am

ndirish2010 wrote:I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 am

bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?


Yes. And in some way, Alabama gives you more career options since you won't need biglaw to pay off debt.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Notre Dame is not as bad as people say it is. It gets a bad rep, but seems to place well and has a tremendous alumni base. However, 'Bama is not a bad school. 23 is only worth paying sticker if you don't have that kind of scholly anywhere in tier 2. COL in Alabama is also really low so if you stay there you don't need big law to live a good life. Indiana/Chicago is still expensive relative to a lot of America.


I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

+1. Just ignore flex, he's an idiot.

OP, Bama by a lot.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:03 pm

cinephile wrote:
bergg007 wrote:Even with virtually no chance at big law from bama?

Yes. And in some way, Alabama gives you more career options since you won't need biglaw to pay off debt.

This.

Low chance at biglaw from Alabama? No big deal. You only have $5k in debt. There are plenty of great firms in Alabama.

Slightly higher but still low chance at biglaw from ND? You have sticker debt, so if (when?) you don't get biglaw things are going to get rough.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Dany wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.


Check my post count, I've been here for a while. Not too many people on here would say T25s are bad. They would advise to avoid them for sticker or close to it. I would avoid Cornell and Georgetown (especially GULC) at sticker as well.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Dany wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I'm really confused...who says NDLS is bad? Only a bad investment for sticker price (which is true arguably anywhere outside the T6).

Welcome to TLS. There are people who think anything outside HYS is bad.


Check my post count, I've been here for a while. Not too many people on here would say T25s are bad. They would advise to avoid them for sticker or close to it. I would avoid Cornell and Georgetown (especially GULC) at sticker as well.


Nice, dude.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama near full-ride, or Notre Dame no scholly likely

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm

lol




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests