UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BradA3
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby BradA3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 pm

All are 3 are ranked between 30 and 35. I'm just wondering if one is truly much better than the other two.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 pm

No. All these schools are regional; go to the school where you want to practice.

Do bear in mind that market salaries are different in the different regions, so some schools might appear to be to be better than others based on that. For instance, UGA grads will make higher average salaries than Bama grads because Atlanta firms pay more than Birmingham firms.

In terms of raw employment numbers, these schools are very much peer schools.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 pm

UNC is "truly much better" in NC;
UGA is "truly much better" in GA;
Bama is "truly much better" in AL.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby uzpakalis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 pm

scammedhard wrote:UNC is "truly much better" in NC;
UGA is "truly much better" in GA;
Bama is "truly much better" in AL.


I had this almost verbatim but i forgot to hit submit...

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby dr123 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

scammedhard wrote:UNC is "truly much better" in NC;
UGA is "truly much better" in GA;
Bama is "truly much better" in AL.


TCR

BradA3
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby BradA3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Okay well personally I'd like to practice law in South Carolina (where there are 0 top tier law schools). Are any of these better for practicing in SC, or is a place like Emory or another private school a better choice?

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm

BradA3 wrote:Okay well personally I'd like to practice law in South Carolina (where there are 0 top tier law schools). Are any of these better for practicing in SC, or is a place like Emory or another private school a better choice?

For SC, go to USC.

BradA3
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby BradA3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Even though half of South Carolina's grads are jobless 9 months after college?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

scammedhard wrote:
BradA3 wrote:Okay well personally I'd like to practice law in South Carolina (where there are 0 top tier law schools). Are any of these better for practicing in SC, or is a place like Emory or another private school a better choice?

For SC, go to USC.


I disagree. Assuming you have ties to SC (I don't know any other reason why you would want to practice there) then you would have a roughly equal shot from UNC, UGA, Bama, and Emory. All of these options would be better than USC unless you were at the top of your class because EVERYONE from USC wants to practice in SC (as there are really no other options).

If you can get into Vandy or UT, you will have an even better shot. Duke or UVA, even better still. HYSCC and you're gold in South Carolina.

sch0123
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby sch0123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

Go to whichever one you like better, since all will give you about an equal chance of landing a job in SC. I'd think UNC might carry *slightly* more weight, but that's just a guess. COA should be the determining factor if you don't have much a preference, if there are any significant price differences between the 3.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:49 am

If you want to live & work in South Carolina, do not attend UNC because you risk being labeled a "Northerner".

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby HyeMart » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

residency requierments after 1L could also be a factor for you here

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby doinmybest » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you want to live & work in South Carolina, do not attend UNC because you risk being labeled a "Northerner".


Hahaha so true. OP it might be worth your time to research which of these regional schools has the strongest alumni network in South Carolina. I have a couple of friends working in SC firms now and it seems that the answer might be UGA. This is anecdotal so I'm not sure if it's 100% true.

BradA3
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: UNC vs Alabama vs Georgia

Postby BradA3 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's help.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xn3345 and 9 guests