FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lsatnyc83
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:11 pm

FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby lsatnyc83 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:29 pm

PLEASE HELP! I'm trying to decide between Fordham (Half Scholarship) and USC ($7,000 a year). I'm originally from NYC and want to practice in NYC after school but am more impressed with USC's faculty and curriculum. I'm also interested in public service and feel USC has stronger connections in that field. Do you think the higher ranking matters? Should I stay where I want to practice even though I don't like the school as much?
Last edited by lsatnyc83 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 pm

lsatnyc83 wrote:I'm originally from NYC and want to practice in NYC after school


Then that's all there is to it. Go to Fordham. It's cheaper and it places better in NYC.

lsatnyc83
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby lsatnyc83 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Even though I like USC a lot better as a school?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm

lsatnyc83 wrote:Even though I like USC a lot better as a school?


You should still go to Fordham because Fordham is cheaper and it is a lot easier for Fordham grads to get NYC jobs than it is for USC grads.

Think of choosing law school from a utilitarian perspective, meaning that you should be picking the one that is best suited to your goals. Since your goals are (1) working in NYC and (2) having a reasonable amount of debt compared to your future salary, you should go to Fordham.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

id take USC. Better biglaw placement as compared to fordham. You also like USC. ENjoy 70F in january.

rangers0412
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby rangers0412 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 am

I would go to USC if you have connections in NYC already. Personally I think QOL/living on the west coast for 3 years would be worth it in this case, but thats just me. I don't know which is a better choice only considering career prospects, but its probably fordham for NYC.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

Fordham.

User avatar
ImaRooBounceBounce
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby ImaRooBounceBounce » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Based on your OP I would recommend USC for the following reasons:

1. Law school ranking matters and while Fordham places better regionally than it does nationally, you really can't predict where you will be looking for a job after graduation because you cannot predict how you will perform academically in law school. Even if you are smart and work hard there are no guarantees in a system that grades on a hard curve, and there are no guarantees regarding how the economy will look in an already oversaturated job market by the time you graduate.

2. Cost matters. I'm assuming you received some kind of offer for scholarship from USC as well since the normal tuition is over $48k per year, and $7k is a lot less than Fordham on a scholarship covering half of your tuition (about $24k). You should do some research for both scholarships regarding requirements to maintain the scholarship though, and take that into consideration as well. Depending on the requirements it may be easier to maintain one over the other. Make sure you look not only at the academic requirements but the historic GPA median for 1st and 2nd year classes.

3. USC law degrees are much more marketable in New York than Fordham law degrees are in California. This relates back to item 1, but California employers for lawyers show notable preference to recruit from local law schools compared to New York employers. Any law school graduate from a non-California law school who is not from a T14 law school is going to find him or herself at a significant disadvantage in the California job market unless he or she has connections.

Talk to USC admins to find out which NYC employers participate in OCI. That should give you an idea of what kind of job prosepects you could potentially line up for NYC via summer associateships or legal internships (assuming you perform well academically).

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Ultimately, the decision is yours, but I wouldn't let the difference in ranking influence your decision as Fordham places well in New York and that's where you want to work. Also, it's way cheaper. The choice seems logical.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:33 pm

ImaRooBounceBounce wrote:Based on your OP I would recommend USC for the following reasons:

1. Law school ranking matters and while Fordham places better regionally than it does nationally, you really can't predict where you will be looking for a job after graduation because you cannot predict how you will perform academically in law school. Even if you are smart and work hard there are no guarantees in a system that grades on a hard curve, and there are no guarantees regarding how the economy will look in an already oversaturated job market by the time you graduate.

2. Cost matters. I'm assuming you received some kind of offer for scholarship from USC as well since the normal tuition is over $48k per year, and $7k is a lot less than Fordham on a scholarship covering half of your tuition (about $24k). You should do some research for both scholarships regarding requirements to maintain the scholarship though, and take that into consideration as well. Depending on the requirements it may be easier to maintain one over the other. Make sure you look not only at the academic requirements but the historic GPA median for 1st and 2nd year classes.

3. USC law degrees are much more marketable in New York than Fordham law degrees are in California. This relates back to item 1, but California employers for lawyers show notable preference to recruit from local law schools compared to New York employers. Any law school graduate from a non-California law school who is not from a T14 law school is going to find him or herself at a significant disadvantage in the California job market unless he or she has connections.

Talk to USC admins to find out which NYC employers participate in OCI. That should give you an idea of what kind of job prosepects you could potentially line up for NYC via summer associateships or legal internships (assuming you perform well academically).


None of your points mean anything since OP wants to work in NYC and Fordham has no stips.

User avatar
ImaRooBounceBounce
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby ImaRooBounceBounce » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 pm

[/quote]
bk1 wrote:
None of your points mean anything since OP wants to work in NYC and Fordham has no stips.


I'm not sure what you mean by "Fordham has no stips."

OP may want to work in NYC but what he wants and what reality may dictate are 2 separate things. If going to USC puts him in a good position for employment on both coasts, that's better than simply having prospects in the NYC metro area. Keeping his law school costs down is always relevant. Having the foresight to keep student loan debt down and overall job prospects better is only meaningless if you're a law school lemming.

Contrary to your earlier post, going to Fordham under the facts as presented by the OP is not cheaper ($7k versus $24k). We don't even know if it currently places significantly better in NYC. The Fordham OCI program took a beating in the prior 2 years. I know of at least 2 Fordham Law Review members from last year's class that couldn't get any summer associate position, and approximately 20% of last year's class secured BigLaw associate positions with over half of those with deferred start dates.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Me like ham

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: FORDHAM $$ OR USC $?

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 pm

ImaRooBounceBounce wrote:
bk1 wrote:
None of your points mean anything since OP wants to work in NYC and Fordham has no stips.


I'm not sure what you mean by "Fordham has no stips."

OP may want to work in NYC but what he wants and what reality may dictate are 2 separate things. If going to USC puts him in a good position for employment on both coasts, that's better than simply having prospects in the NYC metro area. Keeping his law school costs down is always relevant. Having the foresight to keep student loan debt down and overall job prospects better is only meaningless if you're a law school lemming.

Contrary to your earlier post, going to Fordham under the facts as presented by the OP is not cheaper ($7k versus $24k). We don't even know if it currently places significantly better in NYC. The Fordham OCI program took a beating in the prior 2 years. I know of at least 2 Fordham Law Review members from last year's class that couldn't get any summer associate position, and approximately 20% of last year's class secured BigLaw associate positions with over half of those with deferred start dates.[/quote]


There are no stipulations to keep a scholarship.

How is it not cheaper to attend Fordham? It's 7k/yr scholly at USC and 24k/yr at Fordham. And CoL in LA is not less than NY (and probably even more if you get a car in LA, which is usually the way to go. Bottom line, Fordham is WAY cheaper.

Also, its clear Fordham places better in NYC based on sheer numbers. There are not many USC alums in NY (largely self-selection), but those that are would have to be at the very top of the class as well, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten NY biglaw in the first place. Check USC"s OCI (for NY branches), would be SHOCKED if it was better than Fordham.

If OP wants to work in NY, what reality would dictate he go to the west coast? Boston, DC are two other major markets that Fordham can access. It is beyond idiotic to go to a school on the other side of the country solely because it gives OP another market to tap into. If OP wants NY, he should go wherever gives him the best chacne at that position (read: Fordham).

The only logic for attending USC is if OP can get some more $ out of them and would be absolutely miserable in NY (obv. not the case if he plans to work here). Law school isn't meant to 3 years of laying on the beach in CA...you are there to get a job. period.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest