New England Law Vs. Widener Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aalvi01

New England Law Vs. Widener Law

Postby aalvi01 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I need some advice about which school to choose; New England Law or Widener Law, however I am still waiting to hear from Touro Law. I am from NY and want to eventually practice and live in NY. I am wondering if anyone has any information about alumni in NYC from either of these schools and any information about the reputation of these schools in law firms. Thank you!

scammedhard

Re: New England Law Vs. Widener Law

Postby scammedhard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:49 pm

aalvi01 wrote:I need some advice

Advice: Don't go to these law schools.

rangers0412

Postby rangers0412 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Any job you get would most likely be from personal connections. Going to one of these schools with the goal of working in NYC is unrealistic compared to the cost of admission.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)
Or completely ignorant.

Noval

Postby Noval » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Retake or think about another profession, going to either of these shit holes will not make you a Lawyer.

NELS is one of the most expensive existing diploma-mills in the U.S. and is also one of the Law Schools that placed the most students at Starbucks or McDs, you will not even be competitive to get those 30k/year personnal injury shitlaw jobs in the Bronx.Most firms will just throw your resume at the garbage as soon as they see "New England" in it, even if you're Top 1-2 % with Law Review and a shitload of contacts.Even with a scholly, tell these "folks" to fuck off and don't ruin your life.That's not a matter of opinion, but a fucking fact.

Same thing for Widener, especially if you want to break into the NYC market with either of these diplomas.

To summarize for you ADD kids that cheated the LSAT:

NELS: TTTT.
Widener: TTT.

Good idea ? No, at this point, working at retail will open more doors to you.

Oh and DO NOT listen to the crackheads telling you to follow your heart and go study in these schools if becoming a Lawyer is your dream, this is not a movie, but fucking reality.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 pm

my girlfriend's brother went to new england college of law to work in nyc. it didn't work out too well. he did pass multiple state bars on his first try, but has not gotten a job after over a year.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Isn't Touro the law school that's actually really cheap and is set up for PI? Go to that one, if you must.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Isn't Touro the law school that's actually really cheap and is set up for PI? Go to that one, if you must.

touro is pretty expensive unless they have some program i don't know about. people in ny only go to touro out of necessity. the entire "debt free" explanation is always a lie for touro students, because the scholarships have stipulations up the wazoo. i also don't know how touro places in nyc. it has a lot of schools, but it's so low down on the totem poll and nyc is overrated by people the world over.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Oh yeah jesus I just googled it. Not sure what school I was thinking of.

OP - don't go to any of these

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Oh yeah jesus I just googled it. Not sure what school I was thinking of.

I think you were thinking of People's College of Law in LA.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:44 pm

with the exception of law schools that are the only ones in their states (i.e. rutgers), a ranking normally tells you most of what you'd need to know. a school ranked 40 can be much smarter than one ranked 30 for a certain person depending on a myriad factors, but a tier 4 is never gonna have a great reputation. do you really think a firm that hires lawyers each years is going to sit back and say, "wow, he went to one of the lowest regarded schools in the country. we need him on our team!" if a firm takes you from these places, it will be because you're competent and cheap, but when students at top law schools at other schools are also competent and cheap, you'll likely have to bring something else to the table.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Oh yeah jesus I just googled it. Not sure what school I was thinking of.

CUNY, that's what I was thinking of.

People's is also a good choice for OP. He could be the mayor of LA

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

he might be the mayor, but that doesn't mean he'll pay back his loans.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

he might be the mayor, but that doesn't mean he'll pay back his loans.

Tuition is like $50 at People's.

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:33 pm

aalvi01 wrote:I need some advice about which school to choose; New England Law or Widener Law, however I am still waiting to hear from Touro Law. I am from NY and want to eventually practice and live in NY. I am wondering if anyone has any information about alumni in NYC from either of these schools and any information about the reputation of these schools in law firms. Thank you!

Toss out NEL. Though it isn't a thriving legal market at all, Widener does have a big plus in being the only law school in its state. It won't take you to NYC but if you wouldn't mind working in Delaware Widener isn't a terrible choice among the schools it is ranked with. I know a few people who went there and are prosecutors in NJ. It also has some PA ties, but thats about it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”