Rutgers University School of Law-Newark

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DK33

Rutgers University School of Law-Newark

Postby DK33 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Current students: What do you think of RU- Newark? If you don't go there, it doesn't matter to me. If you do, or are a very recent grad, I'd like to hear from you.

lovaholic

Re: Rutgers University School of Law-Newark

Postby lovaholic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 am

I'm a rising 2L. I really like it. I commute and have found the community very helpful. The professors and other students are open to helping you out. The students in particular will help you out without you even asking for help.

What are your concerns?

DK33

Postby DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Very few at this point, I visited yesterday and was pretty impressed.

I told Seton Hall I was coming to Rutgers.

Concerns? The Bar Passage rate in New York (Walton told me it was at or above the state average- 80%- which is all right. I hear its more a function of bar review, etc.

My boss finished in the top 10 percent at Brooklyn. He insists on Emmanuels, reading cases, law in a flashcards, and notetaking. Saying outlining is a waste of time and you don't get much out of it other then coping terms down, whereas Emmanuel's gives you practice questions and an idea of what you know how to answer and what you don't.

I applied part time. Want to transfer to full time asap, but I can wait till spring if I really have to. Some at RU said I'd have to wait till year 2. Website said early transfer encouraged and routinely granted. Housing I haven't made up my mind on dorming or an apt.

Most of this is minor. I just saved a ton of money for a school that's brand name in this City anyway (NY) seems about on par w/ Seton Hall, if not a little more desirable.

Most of this stuff is minor.

DK33

Postby DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm

P.S. I hear they grade on a B curve. What the hell does that mean anyway. Idc about "biglaw". But I'd like to get A's just for the stake of itself, etc.

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Probably not a good idea to go to Rutgers. NJ legal market is terrible- McCarter cancelled it's summer program again, Lowestein still laying people off, hiring freezes at the state AG and legal aid, etc. Hell, even traffic court clerkships are getting Ivy-league applicants:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1127653 ... _road.html

Do you really want to be pushing paper and running errands for some used-up old hag like the "judge" in the story above? Then when you're done you have to beg some insurance defense mill for a gig paying 40 K with no health benefits, if you're lucky. Otherwise you can try and break into document review at Barasso in Westfield, which is where 90% of R-N and Seton Hall grads end up. That gig pays 25 an hour with no health insurance, btw.

R-N is located in a filthy, impoverished, and very dangerous area. Also note that the school is a "public" building, so in the winter homeless crackheads wander in to the library to keep warm and urinate/defecate in the aisles, steal laptops, harass students, etc.

If R-N is the best school you can get into, law probably isn't your thing. In this economy even the Top 14'ers are striking out, so don't expect a R-N degree to be any kind of resume booster.

DK33

Postby DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Didn't you see the disclaimer at the top? I'm not interested in ancedotal evidence. I'm asking the kids who are actually there. Not some Ivy League elitist.

How are you going to tell me what my thing is? You don't know me bro.

DK33

Postby DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Probably not a good idea to go to Rutgers. NJ legal market is terrible- McCarter cancelled it's summer program again, Lowestein still laying people off, hiring freezes at the state AG and legal aid, etc. Hell, even traffic court clerkships are getting Ivy-league applicants:

Do you really want to be pushing paper and running errands for some used-up old hag like the "judge" in the story above? Then when you're done you have to beg some insurance defense mill for a gig paying 40 K with no health benefits, if you're lucky. Otherwise you can try and break into document review at Barasso in Westfield, which is where 90% of R-N and Seton Hall grads end up. That gig pays 25 an hour with no health insurance, btw.

R-N is located in a filthy, impoverished, and very dangerous area. Also note that the school is a "public" building, so in the winter homeless crackheads wander in to the library to keep warm and urinate/defecate in the aisles, steal laptops, harass students, etc.

If R-N is the best school you can get into, law probably isn't your thing. In this economy even the Top 14'ers are striking out, so don't expect a R-N degree to be any kind of resume booster.

Didn't you see the disclaimer at the top? I'm not interested in ancedotal evidence. I'm asking the kids who are actually there. Not some Ivy League elitist.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 pm

If you search the Class of 2014 thread, I believe myself and other current students have sounded off on our opinions of RU. In short, it's what you would expect from a regional law school. And the above poster's characterization of the school is off-base. RU alums are all over the state in high profile firms, government positions, and courts. They like to take care of their own which is why you routinely see RU students obtaining internships on the NJ federal and higher state court levels than the top 14 schools. As far as homeless people in the library, again completely off base. There is an occasional pro se litigant doing their own research and they are out of place when compared with the student body, but the school and University Heights in general is safe. For the tuition price, it's a steal and I've been satisfied with my experience.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

DK33 wrote:
areyouinsane wrote:Probably not a good idea to go to Rutgers. NJ legal market is terrible- McCarter cancelled it's summer program again, Lowestein still laying people off, hiring freezes at the state AG and legal aid, etc. Hell, even traffic court clerkships are getting Ivy-league applicants:

I'm so confused by these Ivy League references...they have intercollegiate sports in law school? Only five of the eight Ivies have law schools...

DK33

Postby DK33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:40 pm

get it to x wrote:If you search the Class of 2014 thread, I believe myself and other current students have sounded off on our opinions of RU. In short, it's what you would expect from a regional law school. And the above poster's characterization of the school is off-base. RU alums are all over the state in high profile firms, government positions, and courts. They like to take care of their own which is why you routinely see RU students obtaining internships on the NJ federal and higher state court levels than the top 14 schools. As far as homeless people in the library, again completely off base. There is an occasional pro se litigant doing their own research and they are out of place when compared with the student body, but the school and University Heights in general is safe. For the tuition price, it's a steal and I've been satisfied with my experience.

Thanks man. I'll do that. I visited. Its an inner city. Big deal. Its nothing I'm not familiar with. I'm more then ok with that, I actually like it.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Ignore this worthless waste of space. He's just trying to get under your skin by trashing the school without knowing anything about it. First of all, Rutgers is in University Heights, which is a very nice part of the city. Although the law school is on the outskirts of the campus, it is protected by increased lighting on paths and ramped up police patrols. You'll be fine. The campus is also very clean.

Additionally, the buildings are not public. The entrances are controlled by guards to make sure random people cannot get in. You must have official business and present a photo I.D. if you are not a student.

Its a great school and I encourage you to keep researching it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 pm

it is protected by increased lighting on paths and ramped up police patrols

This was funny. I would choose a school where ramped up police patrols are not an issue. There are plenty of them like that.

amg414

Postby amg414 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 pm

mrtoren wrote:

Ignore this worthless waste of space. He's just trying to get under your skin by trashing the school without knowing anything about it. First of all, Rutgers is in University Heights, which is a very nice part of the city. Although the law school is on the outskirts of the campus, it is protected by increased lighting on paths and ramped up police patrols. You'll be fine. The campus is also very clean.

Additionally, the buildings are not public. The entrances are controlled by guards to make sure random people cannot get in. You must have official business and present a photo I.D. if you are not a student.

Its a great school and I encourage you to keep researching it.

MrAnon wrote:
it is protected by increased lighting on paths and ramped up police patrols

This was funny. I would choose a school where ramped up police patrols are not an issue. There are plenty of them like that.

I can second this, the buildings are not "public". You must present a student ID or be there by invitation to gain access to the facility. Yes, it's an inner city school, so the responsible thing to do is to have ramped up police patrols and increased lighting - what you would expect from any inner city school. If one is not comfortable with being in a city, one should not go to Rutgers. I am not a current student, I am starting in the fall, but I have visited the campus a couple of times and have lived in New Jersey my whole life. It's a good regional school. If you want to begin you career in New Jersey, it's a good place to start with a low tuition if you are in state.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”