Ways to get off a WL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fingersxd

Ways to get off a WL

Postby fingersxd » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Is it possible to parlay an acceptance at a peer school to getting off the WL at
another (i.e. Im in at great school x, but want to attend your school and would withdraw and attend immediately w/no strings attached). Has this worked for anyone? Ever?

JD2014

Re: Ways to get off a WL

Postby JD2014 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:39 pm

I think one thing schools like to hear from their waitlist candidates is that if they're admitted, they will definitely go there, and will go with the understanding that they will receive no scholarships or need-based financial aid (i.e. they would be willing to pay full price). It's probably annoying for them to admit people off their waitlist, only to have those people ask for money or indicate they aren't interested in attending any longer.

I doubt schools care very much what you plan on doing if you aren't accepted.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

Maybe I'm proud, but I wouldn't beg for admittance like you're thinking about doing. If you've written one or two LOCI's and they haven't changed your status yet, then you're probably not going to get in regardless. Why drag your self-esteem and pride down by pleading with them any further? However, if you failed to write those LOCI's and you're just now trying to remedy the problem, then you deserve to be rejected.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm

I do not see why it would be an issue if you mentioned it in your LOCI. When I got off the waitlist at my preferred school, I sent a LOCI the previous week expressing my genuine desire to attend their institution and making them aware that I would immediately withdraw everywhere else (if accepted). I did not state the specific schools, but I'm sure they considered that if they were gonna take me then their window was slowly closing. I also communicated (emails with questions, phone calls..) every now and then with the Dean and admissions staff while on the waitlist (nothing incessant). Being a married man, I wanted a decision sooner rather than later in order for my wife to make arrangements for her work. Honestly, I would prefer it if they rejected me early as opposed to waiting in hope for nothing. At the end of the day, I always remained honest and did not hesitate to contact them about anything I had on my mind.

I do not believe that an acceptance at a peer school will get you accepted by itself, but I believe it might help in combination with other factors. If you really want to get into that school, do not be shy about expressing it. Keep in touch, write an honest LOCI (original, not cut and paste) and be patient. If it is meant to be, it is meant to be.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 am

mrtoren wrote:Maybe I'm proud, but I wouldn't beg for admittance like you're thinking about doing. If you've written one or two LOCI's and they haven't changed your status yet, then you're probably not going to get in regardless. Why drag your self-esteem and pride down by pleading with them any further? However, if you failed to write those LOCI's and you're just now trying to remedy the problem, then you deserve to be rejected.

I've already written a number of LOCI's, but remain on the WL. That said, the school in question recently sent out an e-mail making it clear that they are continuing to reveiw (and ostensibly make offers from) the WL. I would LOVE to nab one of those spots, but frankly just don't know what else I can say in yet another LOCI w/out sounding redundant (my others were pretty thorough) so I'm just sort of rcking my brain for any wayto set myself apart at this point.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 am

MP24

Postby MP24 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 am

Have you visited the school yet? If you haven't, then perhaps you should visit the school, take a tour, and write them a thank you note afterwards explaining your impression of the school after visiting...

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 pm

The one sure-fire way to get off the waitlist is to withdraw. I suspect, though, that isn't the type of advice you're looking for.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:49 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
/thread

Return to “Choosing a Law School”