Iowa or Chicago-Kent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TurkeyDay

Iowa or Chicago-Kent

Postby TurkeyDay » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Which one will be better at placing in Chicago? Trying to determine rank vs. location.

bk1

Re: Iowa or Chicago-Kent

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm

To get absolutely *any* Chicago job? Kent due to ability to network. Though of course this does not factor in a whole host of other things such as costs, chances of paying off debt, type of job, etc.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 am

If you're willing to take any job in Chicago Kent will do a better job. If you're looking for a higher paying job in Chicago or another midwest metro area, Des Moines, Omaha, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City--- go to Iowa.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:56 am

Are you paying sticker at both?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 am

naterj wrote:Are you paying sticker at both?

If yes, none of the above.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Didn't Iowa used to be fairly highly ranked? Higher than it is now anyways?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 pm

ahduth wrote:Didn't Iowa used to be fairly highly ranked? Higher than it is now anyways?

Iowa was ranked 26 last year. It is now ranked 27th in USNWR.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Can anyone confirm that it is easier to place in Chicago from Chi-Kent than from Iowa? I wouldn't be totally surprised because of the proximity issue, but Iowa is a WAY stronger school and it is in the mid-west, so I would think it has reasonably good placement into Chicago. Curious because I get the impression that some of the assertions made above may be entirely speculative (which admittedly, a great deal of what most of us say on here is).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh yeah, I'm assuming you have scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa. I think sticker at Kent would be risky, and I would take Iowa if both at sticker (though as one poster already seemed to indicate, there are likely many who would advise against even taking Iowa at sticker). But if you do have a nice scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa, I think Kent probably is the way to go given preference for being in Chi.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Oh yeah, I'm assuming you have scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa. I think sticker at Kent would be risky, and I would take Iowa if both at sticker (though as one poster already seemed to indicate, there are likely many who would advise against even taking Iowa at sticker). But if you do have a nice scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa, I think Kent probably is the way to go given preference for being in Chi.

I have my first year free because of a merit-based scholarship at Kent, and the next two years' scholarships are contingent on grades. So, at the very least, $42,000 scholly. Iowa would be sticker.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Oh yeah, I'm assuming you have scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa. I think sticker at Kent would be risky, and I would take Iowa if both at sticker (though as one poster already seemed to indicate, there are likely many who would advise against even taking Iowa at sticker). But if you do have a nice scholly at Kent and sticker at Iowa, I think Kent probably is the way to go given preference for being in Chi.

I have my first year free because of a merit-based scholarship at Kent, and the next two years' scholarships are contingent on grades. So, at the very least, $42,000 scholly. Iowa would be sticker.

Given the full scholly, I think I would take Kent.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 pm

If you go to Iowa be prepared to practice in Iowa if you don't stay above median. If you go to Kent be prepared for doc review/unemployment if you don't stay above median.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm

If you come from a prestigious enough undergrad, go to Iowa. It will open doors for you regardless of your grades.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm

daddymike wrote:If you come from a prestigious enough undergrad, go to Iowa. It will open doors for you regardless of your grades.

What?

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:14 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
What?

Who?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Why would you intentionally mislead someone that the prestige of their undergrad will make up for what law school they went to?

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm

daddymike wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
What?

Who?

Mike Jones!!!
281-330-8004

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
daddymike wrote:If you come from a prestigious enough undergrad, go to Iowa. It will open doors for you regardless of your grades.

What?

Lil Jon
oooookkkkkaaaaay

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Why would you intentionally mislead someone that the prestige of their undergrad will make up for what law school they went to?

1. Why are you assuming that I am intentionally misleading the poster?
2. Why do you think that this is not in fact the case?
3. We are talking about Iowa here, not a T4. You go to Notre Dame, I gather? Iowa is directly below you in the rankings. Are you suggesting that someone with a bachelor's from Stanford or Dartmouth, combined with a JD from Notre Dame, would not have a HUGE advantage over someone with a degree from [insert city name here] State College + a ND JD? If so, you are delusional.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 am

TurkeyDay wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't choose either (Notre Dame and UIUC are having a hell of time getting into the Chicago market; can't imagine how bad it might be from Kent, or Iowa for that matter), but the thought of Iowa at sticker with your goals in mind was the more repulsive of the two, so I guess Kent is the way to go. If you go to Iowa, chances are you're going to be at least $140k in debt (assuming you're out-of-state first year, but then gain residency). That's a hell of a lot of money for anything, let alone an Iowa law degree. Then again, if your grades aren't up to snuff at Kent, you might end up in an even worse position.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 am

daddymike wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Why would you intentionally mislead someone that the prestige of their undergrad will make up for what law school they went to?

3. We are talking about Iowa here, not a T4. You go to Notre Dame, I gather? Iowa is directly below you in the rankings. Are you suggesting that someone with a bachelor's from Stanford or Dartmouth, combined with a JD from Notre Dame, would not have a HUGE advantage over someone with a degree from [insert city name here] State College + a ND JD? If so, you are delusional.

No advantage at all. You're the delusional one.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:No advantage at all. You're the delusional one.

Wow, what a great comeback. You're a real winner.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:26 am

I'm thinking more and more that Kent is the answer. I have the first year free, I have relatively cheap housing in the city. I'm still waiting on Minnesota, William and Mary, and W&L and might just see how those pan out instead. Iowa City is cool, but not somewhere I necessarily want to pay sticker for...

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 pm

daddymike wrote:

trolls gonna troll

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:07 pm

IIT-Chicago-Kent with a full tuition scholarship is the better choice, in my opinion.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”