GW (sticker) vs. Emory (25k per yer scholarship)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW (sticker) vs. Emory (25k/yr scholarship)

GW (full tuition) - likely little debt though
48%
Emory (25k/yr scholarship)
52%

Total votes: 27

travellaw

GW (sticker) vs. Emory (25k per yer scholarship)

Postby travellaw » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 pm

So I'm choosing between GW at sticker and Emory with 25k/yr scholarship (75k scholarship total). I will likely have little debt even if I choose GW at sticker but the scholarship is intriguing. I am most likely interested in DC/nyc and some other secondary markets but am from the north. Please leave your comments!

flexityflex86

Re: GW (sticker) vs. Emory (25k per yer scholarship)

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:05 am

travellaw wrote:So I'm choosing between GW at sticker and Emory with 25k/yr scholarship (75k scholarship total). I will likely have little debt even if I choose GW at sticker but the scholarship is intriguing. I am most likely interested in DC/nyc and some other secondary markets but am from the north. Please leave your comments!

why will you have little debt? if $ doesn't matter, why mention the scholarship?

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
travellaw wrote:So I'm choosing between GW at sticker and Emory with 25k/yr scholarship (75k scholarship total). I will likely have little debt even if I choose GW at sticker but the scholarship is intriguing. I am most likely interested in DC/nyc and some other secondary markets but am from the north. Please leave your comments!

why will you have little debt? if $ doesn't matter, why mention the scholarship?

How "likely" is this no debt you speak of?

travellaw

Postby travellaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:38 am

flexityflex86 wrote:

Well, even though I could graduate from GW at sticker without debt, it would still be nice to have an extra 75k to save or invest in the future and to provide a higher quality of life during law school (i.e better apartment, etc.) Emory has the smaller class sizes that I like, but I'm worried about the employment prospects considering the drop in ranking due to employment statistics.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 am

What are your numbers?

When did you apply?

What do you want to do, professionally?

Do you work now? Doing what? What state?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

travellaw wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:

Well, even though I could graduate from GW at sticker without debt, it would still be nice to have an extra 75k to save or invest in the future and to provide a higher quality of life during law school (i.e better apartment, etc.) Emory has the smaller class sizes that I like, but I'm worried about the employment prospects considering the drop in ranking due to employment statistics.

So are you saying your choice is GW (free) vs Emory (free + 75k in the bank)?

If that's the case, I'd change my vote for Emory.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

travellaw wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:

You need to do a much better job of explaining your situation before you set up a poll. The results here are going to be skewed because it isn't clear what your two choices actually are.

dhenn

Postby dhenn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm

From the finanacial side of it, a 75,000 scholarship is worth 15,000 -16,000 a year in compensation for 10 years. Assuming a 6% loan , your payments are about 10,000 a year for 10 years. Before taxes(assuming 35% combined tax rates) you would have to make 15,000 to 16,000 more a year for 10 years to come at whole if you choose the school w/o scholarship.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:21 pm

If you had just said "GW sticker or Emory with 75K?," I would have said Emory since they're roughly equivalent schools and you should minimize debt. But you said you are primarily interested in DC/NY, and GW is the better bet for DC and probably NY. And you have the cash so it's not a question of debt. Thus my vote goes to GW, though it's debatable.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:24 pm

What's more important to you?

• If working in Atlanta (or the South), then Emory
  • If working in DC, then is it worth more than $75,000?
    • If $75,000 is worth more, then Emory.
    • If DC is worth more, then GW.

There, I think that about sums it up accurately.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Seems like you want to be up north, so I would say GW.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”